• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Richard & Joe Osborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's exciting to think we "could" have a new recording being released of Karen. I mean how long has it been??

To my knowledge, the last true unreleased recording in recent years in chronological order were:

Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again (Interpretations, 1994)
Morinaga Hi-Crown Commercial (Essential Collection, 1997)
For All We Know - Reprise (Singles 1969-1981, 2000)
As Time Goes By - album (Japan release August 1, 2001)

As Time Goes By is the last, isn't it? So that makes it over a decade since the last new material, unless you were one of those who had to wait for the international release of ATGB in 2004.

The studio version of "From This Moment On" and the short version of "Without A Song" were also on "Interpretations". I think Newvillefan is right, though. Nothing has been released since "As Time Goes By".

There was the lead sheet, and on the cover was a Christmas Tree with two ornaments, one had a picture of a Richard, the other ornament had a picture of Karen.

As far as timing is concerned, Richard can release a Christmas album as late as November. Usually, vendors get 30-90 days notice. Keep checking Amazon & CD Universe to see if the album is listed. Right now, it's too early for most of the holiday records. CD Universe only has a new Christmas CD by Steve Tyrell. But, since Richard's solo Christmas CD recording has gone on for over a decade, it's hard not to be a little skeptical about it's release. I hope it gets out!. I can't wait to hear it.

Mr. C...please do me the favor of placing the release (form of your choosing) on my grave when it is released. I am sure it will be worth my wait!

Still no news if and when this may get released?

Something I would like to know as well. It is almost close to Nov, is it still possible for a release this year? It's like Joe Osborn facebook page teased us and then they never mentioned it again. No fair, I don't like being teased. :shake:

Something I would like to know as well. It is almost close to Nov, is it still possible for a release this year? It's like Joe Osborn facebook page teased us and then they never mentioned it again. No fair, I don't like being teased. :shake:

I spoke with Joe last week and the album is not set to release until 2013.

Well, it certainly isn't a top priority for Richard, that's for sure. He was quoted saying he was "taking my sweet time with it". Yeah, 10 years is quite a lot of time. LOL>>

This is an interesting link I have watched a few times before. In January of 1998 Joe Osborn was hired by Richard Carpenter to overdub some tunes for a new release from the Carpenters. These were apparently sessions for what became 'As Time Goes By'.

This is a fascinating glimpse into the studio chatter that goes on during recording sessions and also the people as they behave naturally off camera (so to speak). There's an anecdote recounted at 7m38 about Joe Osborn's bass strings, Richard's reply is absolutely priceless.

Stephen, I saw this video a long time ago, but does anyone know what it was filmed for?

Dan Lakin (owner of this clip) was one of the original founders of Lakland Bass company - he is the gentleman standing, talking to Joe and Richard.

Lakland (which Dan has since sold), created the Joe Osborn signature bass, and made them not only for Joe, but also gave one to Richard. They were recording "test" tracks with this bass, as it was created to sound like Joe's original 4-string Fender Jazz. This is B-roll footage taken during one of the sessions during that time period in '98.

This is an interesting link I have watched a few times before. In January of 1998 Joe Osborn was hired by Richard Carpenter to overdub some tunes for a new release from the Carpenters. These were apparently sessions for what became 'As Time Goes By'.

This is a fascinating glimpse into the studio chatter that goes on during recording sessions and also the people as they behave naturally off camera (so to speak). There's an anecdote recounted at 7m38 about Joe Osborn's bass strings, Richard's reply is absolutely priceless.

I was able to [finally] track down the whole story (along with 2 full hours worth of footage) on this one. They were testing the Lakland Joe Osborn signature model bass. The company (then named "Lakland", now "DLakin Bass") owner Dan Lakin gave Joe a bass, as well as one to Richard as a gift. In the 10:00 clip, Joe is tuning Richard's bass.

The session is for some tracks for As Time Goes By, and in the studio are Dan Lakin, Richard Carpenter, Joe Osborn, and Richard's [then] manager David Alley. Richard apparently taped the entire 8-hour session. Two hours were kept, and the transfer of all the footage is being FedEx'd to me as we speak - I should have it this afternoon. I'm planning to watch the rest of the session tonight, and hopefully if the rest of it is as transparent as the 10:00 minutes Dan Lakin posted, I'll go in and isolate some more of the footage to make available specifically here for us at A&M Corner. Stay tuned...

I was able to [finally] track down the whole story (along with 2 full hours worth of footage) on this one. They were testing the Lakland Joe Osborn signature model bass. The company (then named "Lakland", now "DLakin Bass") owner Dan Lakin gave Joe a bass, as well as one to Richard as a gift. In the 10:00 clip, Joe is tuning Richard's bass.

The session is for some tracks for As Time Goes By, and in the studio are Dan Lakin, Richard Carpenter, Joe Osborn, and Richard's [then] manager David Alley. Richard apparently taped the entire 8-hour session. Two hours were kept, and the transfer of all the footage is being FedEx'd to me as we speak - I should have it this afternoon. I'm planning to watch the rest of the session tonight, and hopefully if the rest of it is as transparent as the 10:00 minutes Dan Lakin posted, I'll go in and isolate some more of the footage to make available specifically here for us at A&M Corner. Stay tuned...

WOW! That I am looking forward to Chris if it comes off. That footage had me mesmerised!

Why did Richard have it taped? Another example of wanting stuff for his personal collection? If he taped this, the mind boggles at what else we haven't seen over the past 45 years...

I just wanted to say that every time I see this thread re-surface I'm reminded of what never happened in post #1 and it makes me sad yet what Chris just mentioned above could turn my :cry: into :).

It is always nice to hear Richard's new projects but nothing really illuminates without Karen, so I am hoping for something unreleased, too!

I just wanted to say that every time I see this thread re-surface I'm reminded of what never happened in post #1 and it makes me sad yet what Chris just mentioned above could turn my :cry: into :).

I know this drives fans crazy. I think what a lot of people need to realize, is that Richard takes considerably longer to assemble any given project since Karen's passing than when she was alive. This is mainly due to his family involvement etc. So on the one hand we should be commending him for honoring his family. On the OTHER hand, it makes the anticipation for most unbearable and of course gives Richard the opt-out the longer something sits on tape or on the shelf unfortunately.

As far as the project with Joe, there was nothing unreleased in the way of Karen, however exclusively with another artist (I can't say whom but she's a country artist out of Nashville). The album is near complete if not done. As far as the reason for the hold up, I've not asked since its completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom