• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard's Arrangement of Sedaka's BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

On Neil Sedaka's The Hungry Years album, it says Richard Carpenter arranged the strings on (the newer version of) Breaking up Is Hard To Do--anyone have any info on the session? Or maybe it just co-incides with The Carpenters covering Sedaka's Solitaire?

Have the Carpenters or Karen as a solo artist ever done a cover of either the older or newer version of Sedaka's Breaking Up Is Hard To Do?

Dave

Hi

The Carpenters covered 'Solitaire' on their 1975 album 'Horizon' and did a cover of 'Breaking Up..' a year later for album 'A Kind of Hush'.

Richard DID arrange the strings for the slowed down version of Breaking Up that Neil recorded in 1975, funny thing is though, I din't know whether this was before or after their big bust up with Neil that same year, when they fired him from their tour as their opening act. :shock:

Stephen[/i]

Does anyone know if Karen did
a cover of the slow version of
Breaking up? I can just imagine
how great it would sound!

I'd love a slow version! In fact, that is what I was hoping for the day I bought "Hush".
I know in Las Vegas, Karen and Sedaka did a fast version of it together. Given the Carpenter/Sedaka mess, I'd be very surprised if we ever hear it, however.
Mark

There is a live performance avaliable of the Carpenters and Neil Sedaka in concert together from 1975.

Karen and Neil sing 'Breaking Up is hard to do' , 'Right next door to an angel' and 'What's your name' together. The rest of the concert is all Carpenters songs.

It is fairly rare and the sound quality is not all that good.

Laura

Hi, Laura. I've never heard of that fact before and it's wonderful news to me. If possible, I would like Richard to put it out on any release: original or compilation, bonus track or main feature for a live recording release.

By doing so, people who know that there was a misunderstanding between the two acts during C's concert tour should feel that after all these years they overcame that mishap.

Of course there isn't any duty to do that as some other people might not know that incident.

For a music fan, there's nothing like good music. I'd love to hear their collaboration.

Karen could have done this slow ballad version of Breaking Up Is Hard To Do by Rihcard's arrangement but now Richard can do it fine on his own for, say, his solo project. I imagine it would turn out like his version of A Fella Needs A Girl, which he performed well in his last concert tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom