• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard's early 1960's record??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkinat9

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this had been discussed before. I just listened to an outtake of a BBC radio interview with Richard in which he mentions recording a couple of tunes with a local group in New York in 1963 or perhaps even late 1962.

The titles he mentioned are "Write me a letter" (with a Jerry Lee Lewis like piano gliss by Richard) and "Mary Anne" (spelling??). Apparently this record even received local airplay back then, which Richard thought was a fabulous feeling, hearing himself on the radio for the first time. Does anybody know the name of the group and the record company or label it was recorded for??

Thanks!!

Greg

Neither have I, Mark!
I suppose this makes it the very first Carpenters related released record, right? Wouldn't it be wonderful if these tunes made it to some new "Early Carpenters" CD, along with more demos for instance? Ah, wishful thinking I guess... :rolleyes:

Greg

"But I can dream, can't I?":cool:

Greg,

Will have to check sources as Richard has given details in an interview
re : 1962 recordings :confused:

Peter

Checked Ray Coleman Biography :

See Page 44 , Coleman Refers to Richard plus Musician Friend Jim Squeglia Recording Early Single with New Haven Vocal Group The Barries in Manhattan, NYC aged 16-Probably November 1962. Single Release Either Christmas 1962 or Early 1963 Before Carpenters Relocated to California :)

Coleman Refers to Richard with Jerry Lee Lewis Piano / Keyboards Sound :o

Artist : The Barries

Single Title : Write Me A Letter

Label : Josie Records

Sounds Interesting , Early Example of Richard's Keyboards & Vocal Harmony Work :)

Peter....Early Days.....

I found Barries's "Mary-Ann", 1962. But they say that label is Ember.

GROUP Barries LABL Ember REC# 1101 YEAR 1962
SIDE1 Mary-Ann SIDE1TIME 2:35
SIDE2 Tonight-Tonight SIDE2TIME 2:45

I found on another website:

artist BARRIES
label EMBER
title WHY DON'T YOU WRITE ME

If you are interested in Barries' "Tonight Tonight", you can listen to the audio sample.
http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/01392.html
Disc 2
14 Tonight Tonight / The Barries

You may hear "Mary Ann" on the radio. (CONNECTICUT)
http://www.sockhopsaturdaynight.com/shb002.html
Sock Hop Saturday Night
With Mark Edwards
Southern Connecticut's Favorite Oldies Show
WICC AM 600, Bridgeport CT. 7PM-Midnight

BARRIES
— MARY ANN
— WHY DON'T YOU WRITE ME

Sakura

Well, I finally got a chance to listen to the BARRIES 45 which arrived through the mail last week. Wow! Very exciting to hear this record knowing that a 16-year old Richard was playing piano on these sides!!

On A-side "Why don't you write me" he can be heard playing this Jerry Lee Lewis flourish just like he described it in the interview and which was also mentioned in the Ray Coleman book on page 44 (thanks Peter, I had forgotten about that)

B-side "Mary Anne" sounds a bit catchier to me and reminds me at times of "One fine day"(at the end of the 1973 oldies medley) and an old song called "Mr. Bass Man". By the way, it opens with a piano intro, which must have been Richard as well, right?

This is not an original pressing and frankly, I'm glad that it's a reproduction. An original may have been quite scratchy by now I guess, whereas this copy is in near mint condition. It is indeed on the Ember laber (like you mentioned, Sakura) and the label is red with black letters...

Just thought I would share this with you. I wonder if these tunes are available on CD as well???

Greg.... spinning it again :cool:

Greg,

You say it's a reproduction -- are more available? If so, we'd all love to know where we can place an order. Any info is GREATLY appreciated. I have hoped to hear these songs for years now...

Randy

Greg,

Thank you very much for your message!
I'm glad to know that "Mary Anne" reminded you at times of "One fine day". It helps me to imagine how Barries' "Mary Anne" is like.

When I searched for Barries on the net this September, the only CD of Barries was "Tonight Tonight" in my previous message.

Sakura

I ordered it thru Records By Mail, right here:

http://www.recordsbymail.com/artistPage.php?artistFirst=&artistLast=BARRIES

I'm sure they have more copies of it since it's a reproduction. I guess they dubbed it off an original 45, because I can hear a light surface noise in the beginning of one of the titles, but after examining the vinyl closely, I couldn't find any scuffs at all, but still it's incredibly enjoyable, especially considering the price of it! :)

When I said that "Mary Anne" reminded me a bit of "Mr. Bass Man" as well, I think I actually meant a doo-wop version of "Blue moon". I guess you'll have to hear it yourself to know which song I meant, the way the Barries sing "Come on, come on, come on...."

Greg... taking a lunch break now :cool:

Will have to look out for copy of Barries / RC collaboration as this sounds really interesting ...you read so much on Carpenters early musical development and after hearing Karen's Magic Lamp tracks plus the additional 1965 > 1968 early songs on From The Top box set...this places their early tracks in context :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom