• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard's New Christmas album

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a good possibility that Richard's new Christmas album might never be released .There's two factors involved here:Richard's previous solo albums were both bombs(in fact,I doubt "Time" sold enough copies to even recover A&M's production costs on that album).And,A&M has been busy with several Carpenters projects over the past few years,including the upcoming release of "As Time Goes By".In fact,with "Gold" and "AS Time Goes By" being issued simultaniously this year,Richard's album wouldn't have been scheduled for 2004 release,anyway.Also,from what I hear,Richard's Christmas album is quite different from the original "Christmas Portrait" albums-it's more of a straight-ahead pop set,not the heavily orchestrated jazz/torch production featured on "Christmas Portrait"/"Old Fashioned Christmas".One more thing-I'm not even sure if Richard has a renegotiated contract with Universal.Before his Christmas album can be issued,Richard has to come to terms with Universal on a new solo contract,before they'll release any solo albums.

If this album is released is there
any possibility that it could include any unreleased tracks
from there Christmas projects
with Karen vocals? That would
really make it special.
Jim

I have a VHS tape that a freind sent me titled Carpenters2000
I beleive that it is a combination of live performances, that
are intendeded for Karaoke use, because it has Japanese
subtitles during the music. At the end of this tape Richard
plays Together at Christmas at the Piano in his home.
Has anyone heard more about this song?
JIM

Richard performed new song (or newish now :tongue:) on 2002 Japanese TV
Special as new material for fans.

Richard also sang Together at 2003 TOTW benefit -great new song -almost a companion to Merry Christmas Darling :cool:

Will update on Richard's album next week after UK Public Holiday and add my overdue TOTW 2 review -so much to do and never enough time
... :wink:

Peter

Richard has now performed many recent Christmas themed songs at TOTW benefits 2003 & 2004 including "Together At Christmas Again" that Jim has seen / heard :o

Richard has composed in excess of 14 original new tracks with either John Bettis or Pamela Phillips -Oland plus some original Instrumentals ....in fact too many for one album :shock:

Again this year -Richard despite performing live lead vocals -was adament that this album will contain no studio lead vocals -sadly ruling out Richard's "Toyland" (1978 Outtake).Richard needs to complete selection of guest artist lead vocals , mixes and mastering by Summer 2004 to ensure November 2004 release :|

Release is due via A&M logo / Universal under his contract -prehaps with new managers and being 35th Anniversary celebrations -Richard will complete this year ....at last :wink:

Songs range from straight forward love ballads to uptempo tracks and several jazz infused songs -making for a potentially electric set :cool:

There have been rumours / suggestions that one Carpenters Christmas track as an album bonus may be included ....possibly Adeste Fideles with Gene Kelly or 1978 Outtake Play A Simple Melody ....now with so many songs to select from ....less likely :confused:

So with ongoing website and other projects ....2004 could be the year this over -due album finally emerges ..... :?:

Peter

Where in the Ho-hay do you guy's come up with this kind of info? I'm so out of the loop. There are about four of you that routinely expound accurate and fresh information. I don't know how this kind of info can travel over the ocean? I wish I had a clue. As it is I just sit around and wait for Yuka or one you guys to spring the latest.

Puzzled,

Jeff

One thing is definite-If Richard's album is scheduled for release this year,we should be hearing some info about it now.Universal(and most other labels)usually target Christmas albums for a late september/early october release,Which means they would basically have a designated catalog number and tentative release date about 4-5 months in advance.(The release date for Karen's solo album was scheduled 6 months in advance).

Possibly -depends on record companies ....some seem to issue Christmas sets in late August / early September ...... :shock:

Others release these sets in late October / Early November -Barbra Streisand's recent Christmas album was released later as actual recording was only in May to July period.

Richard could release a version easily this year -depends on how complete he considers this long -in -progress work to be ....

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom