Steve Wright (with Richard Carpenter)

Simon KC1950

In light of the sad passing of legendary BBC Radio DJ, Steve Wright yesterday, aged 69, I though I'd post Richard's appearance on his show from 2019 when he came over to promote the RPO album. Richard's media rounds returned the album back to the UK Top 10, sixteen weeks after it had previously debuted at No.8.

Steve had an instantly recognisable radio voice and had great charisma; Richard has a very at-ease conversation with him. I particularly love the moment where they discuss (sing!) the key changes in Yesterday Once More.

This is a brilliant interview.

This interview was great and Richard sounds relaxed and really into this discussion. I was shocked and saddened to hear the news about Steve Wright yesterday, an amazing radio personality taken way before his time. Shame on the BBC for letting him go in pursuit of their insane woke agenda and box-ticking.

Shame on the BBC for letting him go in pursuit of their insane woke agenda and box-ticking.
No disrespect to you but that’s not how it was. Steve remained with Radio 2 for Sunday Love Songs and they later removed Paul Gambaccini from Pick of the Pops in order to give Steve Wright something else.

What was the woke agenda? Radio 1 were clearly going to get rid of Scott Mills sooner or later as he was nearing 50 and much too old for their demographic. It was obvious he was headed for Radio 2. Steve Wright had a very good run - over 40 years and still counting - but his time was up.

In the 1980s and 1990s he was brilliant on Radio 1 but in recent years on Radio 2 had become almost unlistenable. Singing along with the songs? No thanks. “Serious jockin’ - no g” - yes, we get it, you don’t have to say it every time. “DJ Silli Boi” or whatever he was called. He was stuck in a 1980s timewarp.

Yes, it’s sad he died at 69 but it does happen (that’s from someone whose dad died suddenly at 53 and older brother equally suddenly at 56). The BBC aren’t to blame for his death.

No disrespect to you but that’s not how it was.

I didn’t say the BBC was to blame for his death, but the list of DJs leaving the BBC in recent years (either forcibly or voluntarily) is staggering - Steve Wright, Ken Bruce, Chris Evans, Zoe Ball, Paul O’Grady, Claudia Winkelman, Graeme Norton, Simon Mayo, Sara Cox and lots of others, despite having the biggest UK radio audiences. Ken Bruce has taken at least two million away from them to his new show on Greatest Hits Radio.

Don’t even get me started on how much the BBC has changed in pursuit of its agenda in the last few years, to the detriment of its long standing broadcasting talents. It’s not really for this forum but here’s a taste. It’s endemic within the BBC and it’s not just limited to the radio channels.

Sorry, I wasn’t implying you’d said the BBC were responsible for his death. I tried to edit my post to clarify that but it wouldn’t let me!

Zoe Ball and Sara Cox haven’t left have they?

I agree, the BBC seem to be running scared (and very obviously scared of the current government who have frozen their licence fee and have a very right-wing, anti-BBC press on side).

Don’t get me wrong, Steve Wright was great back in the day but his time had long since passed. It was quite telling that no commercial station picked him up.

Sorry, I wasn’t implying you’d said the BBC were responsible for his death. I tried to edit my post to clarify that but it wouldn’t let me!

Zoe Ball and Sara Cox haven’t left have they?

I agree, the BBC seem to be running scared (and very obviously scared of the current government who have frozen their licence fee and have a very right-wing, anti-BBC press on side).

Don’t get me wrong, Steve Wright was great back in the day but his time had long since passed. It was quite telling that no commercial station picked him up.

Times move on I guess, and re. your post, no harm done 🙂.

Yeah both Zoe Ball and Sara Cox have left. I guess I’m biased because I grew up with Steve Wright, unfathomable they replaced him on their flagship show. Richard seems to get on really well with him, it was a great interview - one of the best with him that I’ve heard.

Back
Top Bottom