• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

RITA COOLIDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

Are there any Rita Coolidge fans on the forum? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Rita Coolidge fan on planet earth!There's only 1 A&M album in print(millenium collection).If anyone has access to info about imports of Rita's A&M albums,that would be good news!

Being as you have brought up Ms. Coolidge, I seemed to thinking, especially in the mid-to-late-'70's period, that for a time she appeared to be A&M's answer to the Queen of Cover Versions of that decade, Linda Ronstadt. Consider these hits she had:

- "(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher And Higher" (originally recorded by Jackie Wilson as "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher")
- "We're All Alone" (Boz Scaggs)
- "The Way You Do The Things You Do" (The Temptations)

Of the first and last tunes, I most definitely prefer the originals. As for the middle number, I seem to recall that Frankie Valli (of Four Seasons fame) also covered it, while he was on Private Stock Records.

And as for her sleep-inducing (I.M.H.O.) version of the Wilson classic: Ever notice how the chorus disappeared, and all you hear are the verses?

To be sure, I do have a 45 of her rendition of the old tune "Fever" (Little Willie John/Peggy Lee), from The Lady's Not For Sale LP, so Ms. Coolidge seemed to have an affinity for covers aforewards. But as for this circa 1977 period . . . Coincidence? Or what?

There are only three songs in her canon I have some affinity for: the aforementioned Scaggs tune; "You"; and "All-Time High." Also, one more: her duet with Kris Kristofferson on "A Song I'd Like To Sing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom