• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77 live 1973

Status
Not open for further replies.

brasil77fan

Has anyon eheard this live recording of Brasill 77 live- with
Sergio Mendes, Sebastion Neto, Caludio slon, Oscar Neves,
Laudir Oliveira, Bonnie Bowden and Grahcina Leoporace? the double live LP...I really love the Brasil77 music and some Brasil 88 too. I really love the the Love Music LP and I saw the saem group did a double live recording too-Does anyone know where I can find this LP-The women sigers sing alot of great songs I would love to hear live!-even a rendition of Oye come a va-the santana song, some beatles songs, songd from lvoe music :) -I would love to hear this double album someday-I am new Sergio Mendes fan here-I have Love Music, Vintage 74-(Alot of great Bonnie Bowden vocals on that one) Magic Lady-(great disco lp)-Love msuic was the first Lp I heard from Sergio Mendes and I was hoooked after that one.. Sergio Mendes and Brasil77 rocks:)-alot of great music for sure!-please help in where I can find the double live LP-any help would be great. Thanks-a 32 year old, new fan of Sergio's and Brasils'. P.S.-Sergio had soem great looking ladies singing for him! :thumbsup: :) :cool:

I found information of this LP on a Serfio Mendes slaute webpage-the Brasil 77 live Lp is 2 Lp set from Japan..Has anyone had lukc finding it or know what other titles it would be under?
I would be happy to purcahse this LP from Gemm or any other site that is legal to purcahse music from:)
Gotta keep playing that "Love Music" that Sergio keeps playing:)

Thanks for any help,
Sincerely,
Will:)[/left]

Hi, Will, I'm not sure if the archives would still have it (Neil, care to comment?) but there has been at least one thread (probably more) about this. I have the recording, which has actually been released under a bunch of different titles (that seems to happen a lot with ol' Sergio! :)). It has some nice stuff, and it's great to hear Bonnie take on some of the classic Brasil '66 material, but, for me anyway, it's not in the top tier of Sergio's recorded output. That "Theme from Shaft" wah-wah guitar on "Love Music" has to be heard to be believed, though! Keep your eye on eBay, I'd guess that would be your best bet.

Hi JKM-thanks for your reply about the 1972-173 live LP..I'll keep my eye on Ebay for that. I also posted it as want on GEMM and Musicstack too.
I found the thread you were tlaking about-it is on page 19-under the article in Concert. (I have alot of time on hand to do som reading I guess)
I do have the Leoporace/Stevens version of live in concert which is pretty good--but I am more of the Leoporace/Bowden line-up fan. Your lucky to have a great recording like that:)-it would be awesome to hear Love music live-:)-or even oye com va and some odler brasil 66 music or some beatles tunes as well. I think Bonnie and Gracinha had great voices and they are top of my favorite pairing of women signers that I have heard so far in my novice Sergio Mendes experience. Thanks again for your help JKM-it is much appreiciated!!
Sincerely,
Will

OOPS- :shock: sorry JMK-I mixed up your initiasls on here-it must be cuase I am up near 4am working on homework and posting here too. Please forgive my goof up [/right][/align]

I was lucky enough to find a copy of an LP titled GOLD DISC on eBay in the last few years. It's a Japanese release on CBS/Sony, catalog #26AP 1316, complete with OBI. This one features 14 of the tracks from the concert with this track listing:

Side A

Mas Que Nada
One Note Samba / Spanish Flea
Wave
Like A Lover
Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Scarborough Fair

Side B

Fool On The Hill
Something / Day Tripper
Going Out Of My Head
The Look Of Love / Oye Como Va
I Can See Clearly Now
Love Music
Killing Me Softly With His Song

I also have a couple of dubs on CD-R that others made for me before I found that LP. They vary in the track lists and order or tracks. One called CARNIVAL: LIVE IN JAPAN has a track not on the LP called "Jogo de Roda / Manha de Carnaval" but only 12 tracks total. It's missing "Constant Rain" and "Something / Day Tripper"

The other also has the name GOLD DISC but only contains 11 tracks in a different order. It's missing "Like A Lover", "Pradizer Aseus", and "I Can See Clearly Now".

If I recall a prior discussion about this, there's at least one other track from this concert out there that I don't have.

Harry
...who typed all this out last night, only to lose it somehow, online...

These concerts (1 from Osaka April 7, 73 and the other from Tokyo on April 15, 73) have been released in several versions. I was lucky enough to find the Epic release which has 16 tracks. I believe this is the most complete version and the order is completely different! Record number is EPIC-13-14-SM and the title 'Sergio Mendes and Brasil '77 Live' and it is a Quadraphonic.

1-Love Music
2-One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
3-Going Out Of My Head
4-Like a Lover
5-Kiling Me Softly With His Song
6-Wave
7-I Can See Clearly Now
8-Constant Rain
9-Koibito Tonde Oide Yo (Japanese song)
10-Something/Day Tripper
11-Carnival Sound Medley
12-Pradizer Adeus
13-Fool on the Hill
14-The Look Of Love
15-Scarborough Fair
16-Mais Que Nada

I like this one the best of the live LPs because Bonnie and Gracinha are miked separately-Bonnie is clearly on the left and Gracinha clearly on the right, but in the other live albums the singers are more distant and placed together in the center. Total time is over 73 minutes. It is a great set if you can find it.

Mine's on CBS/Sony (weird that they'd release it on Epic, too, don't you think?), same tracks except the Japanese song is given an English title, "Come Over, My Love", and "Look of Love" is shown correctly as a medley "Look of Love/Oye Como Va." ("To Say Goodbye" also contains a "Carnaval Sounds" intro which is listed as well).

The way Bonnie handles the vocal between "Something" and "Daytripper" is not to be believed...amazing! I never realized how much soul that girl had until I heard this recording. This, after having seen Bonnie perform with Sergio several times over the years. A definite "plus" as far as I'm concerned!!

Jon

JMK said:
Mine's on CBS/Sony (weird that they'd release it on Epic, too, don't you think?),

That may depend on country of release, too...CBS(/Sony) is a label designation that's not used here in the U.S., but I've seen it most on product from Japan. It may be just how the different companies position the various brand (label) names in different countries.

I think you must be right, Neil. On the '73 Japanese concert album, Sergio introduces a song from their "new album" (Love Music) as being released on CBS/Sony. Of course, it was released in the United States under the banner of Bell Records.

Jon

Bell was of course a division of Columbia Pictures, which in those days was still tied to Columbia Records, so that part makes sense. What I find strange is that my album sports the same cover as the Epic release, but is on CBS/Sony. Maybe Lawrence can tell us what country his LP is from.

My Epic copy is a Japanese CBS/Sony release that I found in Tokyo. You can see another version of the release labled 'Carnival' here-

http://homepage1.nifty.com/1966/bra77p2.htm

This web site author adds in Japanese that he likes the album because of the 'acoustic' sound compared to the other live albums which use more electronic instruments. Mendes performs on piano instead of electronic keyboards. I agree with him-I have always prefered Sergio's earlier keyboard work on piano.

They are hard to find in Japan, too. In all my record hunting here I have come across only 3 copies.

You guys are lucky to have found the Live LP like that. and Jon, that must have been great to see Sergio live that many times and get to swee Bonnie in person-juts by hearing ehr sing-I bet that really great. Bonnie ahsd great voice-I love her singingon Love Music, Vintage 74 and Magic Lady-(the LPs I have so far). I am a novice with Briasil 77 music but I love to hear the music I do have.
Sincerely,
Will

Will...

Hey! If you like Bonnie's voice, check out Homecooking (available through places like Dusty Groove and Amazon). Her rendition of "Cut That Out" is outstanding...every "inch" of it! (you'll know what "inch" means when you hear the song!!)

Bonnie was sensational on stage. She had a sweet personality and was always willing to talk with fans -- regardless their age (I was only 12 or 13 at the time...she was so nice!)

Glad to have another Mendes fan to chat with...we welcome one and all. While I'm at it...welcome to A&M Corner!!

Jon

Though it's far from my favorite Sergio album, don't forget Bonnie's nice work on the 1975 Elektra release, especially "All in Love is Fair" and "The Trouble With Hello is Goodbye."

JMK said:
Though it's far from my favorite Sergio album, don't forget Bonnie's nice work on the 1975 Elektra release, especially "All in Love is Fair" and "The Trouble With Hello is Goodbye."

You're so right, Jeff. Like you, the 1975 release kind of suprised me on the first spin. I wasn't expecting such a low-key approach from Sergio. However, with the passing of time, that album has grown to become something I can appreciate. This, it seems, was Sergio's move into the world of soul -- especially with the inclusion of Sondra Catton.

Speaking of Sondra, I wonder whatever became of her? She recorded the album, did a handfull of concerts (Gracinha most often appeared with Bonnie around this time, although we did see Sondra and Bonnie at the Circle Star back in '75) and disappeared. Internet searches are fruitless. There seems to be nothing -- if very little -- about Sondra at all. Anyone know?

Jon

JMK said:

Dear JMK,

Altough this album is not the usual Sergio Mendes-trademark sound album, it's well crafted in every musical sense.
I agree with you, Bonnies voice is outstanding and my favourite song on the album is also "The trouble with hello is goodbye". Especially with this great songwriters husband/wife team Alan & Marilyn Bergmann with music by Dave Grusin.
I always loved Bonnies voice on her records with Sergio and Cy.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

note: Sergio once said in an radio interview: I can't describe my sound, I leave it up to the people who write. Its hard to discribe about a sound, just like its hard to ask a painter to discribe a painting. I just called it Sergio Mendes and Brasil 88 (interview from october 1980).[/right]

Hi again all--Thanks for the nice welcome Jon!-that was quite nice.

Wow, you are lucky to have met and Talk To Bonnie, Jon--and from your post, its all the better that she was nice and talked to fans too-It makes me like her all tghe more.

I have to say, as new Sergio fan, I have not heard any early stuff with Lani Hall or Any other singers before Gracinha and Bonnie. I do know the ladies I have heard on the albums I do have Love music, Vintage 74, and Magic Lady know how to rock.

All I can say is Bonie knows how to sing great--wow, everytime I hear her on my tape made of here-I get more impressed with all the different styles she can sing. Bonnie Bowden rocked for sure-Ic an see why Sergio had her in his band for so long.

In sercahing through my albums, I actually have Sergio's 1975 lp with Bonnie and Sondra singing on it-I got for a 99 cent special and plays really good too. Does Bonnie sing the lead on "you've been away too long?" -She sings pretty good on With the trouble with Hello is Goodbye and all is fair in love.

Most of my Sergio stuff is with Bonnie Bowden as the main stay vocalist. I lvoe all the singers I heard so far-Bonnie, Gracinha, (along with Marrietta Waters and Carol Rogers on Magic Lady lp.

I haven't heard much of Sergio's early stuff so I can't reply on that unitl I do hear some of that music..so if I am "stuck" in the 70's-I guess I am.

Thanks again for the nice welcome and all the messages so far-Sincerely,
Will!

We're always glad to have another Mendes fan in our midst! Again, welcome to A&M Corner!! Neil has done a tremendous job with the site, as it's grown so much over the years. People like Harry, JMK, Mr. Bill and Mike keep us going with interesting and insightful topics. In short, A&M Corner is a great place to be!!!

"You've Been Away Too Long" is actually sung by Sondra Catton, with Bonnie on background vocals. Sondra had a deep, sultry voice that blended well with Bonnie's sunny, sweet instrument.

I'm sure, with time, that you'll get to know Sergio's earlier work. Once bitten by the Mendes Bug, it's hard to stop in any particular era of his music. That's what I love most about Sergio Mendes -- his ability to offer something different with each project. As Mike has pointed out in the past, it's this ability which has kept Sergio's sound fresh throughout the years.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom