• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

sergio mendes look around and baja marimba band spanish moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

Hi how you all doing? I have a quick question, First one is the sergio mendes album look around was that ever released in mono? Because growing up I never did see that in mono. I only saw that in stereo.Second question is was there an offical release picture sleeve for The Cry of the wild goose/Spanish Moss for the 45 single of Baja marimba band?.or was that a bootleg picture sleeve?.
thanks
bob

Hi Bob,

I'm sure that this:

CryOfWild833b.jpg

...is legit. Our Steve S. is a renowned collector of things A&M, and wouldn't post any bootlegs.

I'm pretty sure that LOOK AROUND would have had a mono version, though I too have never seen one.

Harry

I believe SP-4146/LP-146 ("Beat of the Brass") was the last commercial stereo and mono release. Since "Look Around" was SP-4137, pretty sure it had a mono equivalent (LP-137), although I've never seen one myself.

As the owner of both the "Spanish Moss"/"Cry Goose" picture sleeve and a Mono Look Around I can confirm they both exist.

--Mr Bill

Not only is that Baja picture sleeve the REAL THING, but it was used in the trade ads to promote the single!!!

thanks guys for answering those questions, I do have another one. my uncle back in the 60's when he lived down the street from us. bought from what I remember was the what now my love. and it looked like all singles on 45's with the cardboard backing what now my love. picture like on those playtape cartridges. I should have saved that picture but was thrown out. so was there ever any singles released that way instead of all the songs on the album. they were on 45 singles.
bob

I remember seeing some packages like that in my grandfather's basement one time, nothing from as late as the TJB era though - these were all records from the 50s or 40s maybe. My memory of these is vague, and I'm not sure if they were 45s, more likely 7" 33RPM I would guess. I have no idea as to artist, title etc.

I also remember seeing quite a few 10" records there -- some of them were "singles" (78RPM) and he also had some "albums" which consisted of three or four 78s in a folder that had nice binding like a book. I remember a few children's type packages like that -- Bugs Bunny and so on.

Mike Blakesley said:
I also remember seeing quite a few 10" records there -- some of them were "singles" (78RPM) and he also had some "albums" which consisted of three or four 78s in a folder that had nice binding like a book. I remember a few children's type packages like that -- Bugs Bunny and so on.

That's how the term "album" came to be used: an album of records sold together.

Dad had a couple stacks of 78s, but I was a bit amazed when I was younger that there also 12" 78s, which were usually classical. My grandmother had quite a few of them--I think we had about 200 (discs) when we cleaned out her house.

I get a kick out of some websites that are devoted to 78 RPM records. The big kick is the ones from India, issued on 78's well into the '60s, so there are some Beatles titles that fetch some pretty big money.

I wonder if any of Herb's early records ever got a 78 RPM treatment in India?

Harry

Not too long ago on e-Bay, I saw a Tell It To The Birds on a 78 from the Philippines...

Not too clear on what Bob was asking about, but my parents used to have "albums" of six 45s that came in a box and they even had a special 45 player with the big spindle that connected to a radio (Stromberg Carlson?). I seem to remember Harry Belafonte and some soundtrack and Broadway titles. As for Playtapes, I have a few A&M titles. They had 4 tunes on them and were cartridges that used 1/8" wide tape.

We had a 78RPM of "Mexican Shuffle" posted here awhile ago. And yes, I believe it was from India.

Steve--that 45RPM player was possibly one of the Victrola 45 players that RCA produced by the truckload back in the day. I do remember one model hooking up to a radio, but most had their own built-in amps and speakers. The models 45-EY-2 and 45-EY-3 were very popular and still sell on eBay, some restored (for around $300 or so).

mike, that is what I was talking about. 45 singles that came in a box. but from I remember, they were in a plastic round case that was attached to a cardboard picture of what now my love.
bob

They weren't an "album" per se, but I remember getting a box of 45s that featured the TJB on the front of it. The singles inside were from all different labels, all pop music of the day, stuff I can't even remember now. (I don't think many were ever hits.)

Most of the Mono LP pressings of "Look Around" seem to be White Label promos. Commercial Mono LP pressings of it are scarce. One of my favorite albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom