• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes on Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

I am a Sergio Mendes fan (A&M years) forever. For some reason I had missed some incredible instrumental albums that seemed to have been released on Atlantic at the same time Brazil '66 was happening. One notable song is "Maria Moita".

The Atlantic catalog does indeed have some treasures in it--the first two (Swinger from Rio and Beat of Brazil) are actually licensed reissues of earlier Sergio releases in Brazil (and both of them would be again reissued under several different titles on different budget labels). The three "original" Atlantic releases, In Person at El Matador, Great Arrival and Favorite Things have some great moments on them, too. If you haven't heard it yet, try to get a copy of the non-album Atlantic single (with Brasil '65) of All My Loving/Telephone Song, as it's a wonderful transition from the Atlantic to A&M era.

JMK said:
The Atlantic catalog does indeed have some treasures in it...If you haven't heard it yet, try to get a copy of the non-album Atlantic single (with Brasil '65) of All My Loving/Telephone Song, as it's a wonderful transition from the Atlantic to A&M era.

Jeff is right. The Atlantic catalog is, in a word, masterful. Sergio's in fine form here. As usual, he surrounds himself with the best in studio musicians and old friends. My favorites are The Beat Of Brasil, The Great Arrival and In Person At El Matador (an amazing live performance by Brasil '65 -- my parents used to see Brasil '65 in the City when I was all of two or three years old -- Man! I wish I'd been old enough to be there with them!!) All My Loving/Telephone Song are, indeed, transitional -- you can hear the change from one sound to the next...incredible! :)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom