• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes Video, DVD or Photo's available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinman37

Would anyone know if there were ever any video's or DVD's of Sergio and the band playing live? What about any photos of the singers or the band members?

Vinny

vinman37 said:
Would anyone know if there were ever any video's or DVD's of Sergio and the band playing live? What about any photos of the singers or the band members?

Vinny

Hey Vinny!

There is a laserdisc of a show called Music Scene Best of '69 - '70 that features Lani and Karen lip-synching Ye-Me-Le and Wichita Lineman. You can locate a copy on eBay.

There were a couple of live concerts available in Japan in the late '70s to mid '80s with Brasil '88 and Brasil '99, respectively. The Brasil '88 concert is from the Magic Lady era. The Brasil '99 concert promotes Sergio's Olympia album.

Otherwise, there are appearances on Hollywood Palace, Music Scene and Where The Action Is (a 1960's show similar to Amercian Bandstand -- Brasil '66 perform Mas Que Nada on the bow of what appears to be a steam ship.) There are also Tonight Show appearances and The Pat Sajack Show (where they perform a killer version of Mas Que Nada with Tom Scott) and the Horizonte Aberto Brasilian TV special that Sergio did in 1980.

Almost forgot...apparently there's a British concert (BBC) with Brasil '77. Not certain, but I think Gracinha and Bonnie Bowden are the vocalists here.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut" :D

Brasil_Nut said:
Hey Vinny!

There is a laserdisc of a show called Music Scene Best of '69 - '70 that features Lani and Karen lip-synching Ye-Me-Le and Wichita Lineman. You can locate a copy on eBay.

That Music Scene Best of '69 - '70 is also available on DVD. Amazon has it here:

[edit: link removed until further verification can be made - see posts below]

0788602136.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is probably the only Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 footage readily available commercially. I also have the Where The Action Is program, but it looks like a bootleg - bought it at a flea market.

Harry
NP: Original London Cast, Promises, Promises

As for photos of Sergio Mendes, check out the discography section here at the corner. Steve Sidoruk has contributed a lovely photo from a recent appearance on the main page there: http://www.brasil66.com

My favorite photos are from our own Tim Yee, whose Brasil '66 experience is described in our Gallery at: http://www.amcorner.com/gallery/collection1/collection1-2.php3

where there are a couple of photos, one of Brasil '66 on stage at the 1967 Michigan State Fair, and a photo of Lani and Janis following the performance. Check it out!

Harry
NP: Original London Cast, Promises, Promises

Tim has dropped off some more goodies here, too--once things quiet down, I'll be hitting the scanner again. :D

Thanks to you all for responding. I am so glsd that I found this site. It's not easy to find Sergio fans and you guys are the best. I will check out all of the recomendations.

Vinny

Havig received the above order through amazon this morning; I rushed home from work, looking forward to hear 'Ye Me Le' and 'Witchica Lineman'. I have however checked the DVD right through, but cannot seem to find it! Can anyone help me please, as to where about on the DVD it is?!! Thank you!

susan said:
I rushed home from work, looking forward to hear 'Ye Me Le' and 'Witchica Lineman'. I have however checked the DVD right through, but cannot seem to find it!

Sure wish I could help...isn't there a track listing on the packaging? I do know that when these shows were made available in volumes, Mama Cass was on the same tape as Brasil '66, though I don't know if this helps in regard to the DVD.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

susan said:
Having received the above order through amazon this morning; I rushed home from work, looking forward to hear 'Ye Me Le' and 'Witchica Lineman'. I have however checked the DVD right through, but cannot seem to find it! Can anyone help me please, as to where about on the DVD it is?!! Thank you!

Hi Susan. I'm in the same boat as you. I'd always meant to order this DVD when it came out and didn't get around to doing so until my research unearthed the link that I posted above. My DVD arrived just before we left on our mini-vacation, but I had a long enough time to uncover a few facts about it.

First off, I went to the MPI Home Video website, where sure enough, Volume 1 in this series is listed as having Sergio's numbers on it. It's easily found on the tape-series volume 1, but I'm not interested in the videotape version, which is why I ordered the DVD.

Upon sending a complaint to the MPI people, I received this response:

Julie from MPI said:
Hi

Yes, I was informed that Sergio is on the disc 2 .

Sorry for the mixup.

To which I replied:

Harry to MPI said:
It's all well and good to be sorry, but it's I who is out the 20-odd bucks because of your mix-up. I had to open the DVD to find out, since there's not a complete listing on the package. Now that it's opened, I cannot return it!

What are my options?

To which she quickly replied:
Julie from MPI said:
We can send you the volume 2 dvd. Can you please send us the volume1 with receipt if you have it. Write a note and state what was wrong and that you would like the volume 2. MPI Home Video, 16101 South 108th Avenue, Orland Park, Il 60467

So, I guess I'll be packing up the disc and shipping it off in hopes of receiving the one with the Sergio clips.

Sorry I posted that link before checking it out thoroughly!

Harry
...hoping this will help, online...

vinman37 said:

Vinny,

I've enjoyed collecting the Billboard ads featuring Sergio & Brasil '66. There are several of them to select from, many times alternate photos from well known photo shoots. They're also poster-sized. I have several of them matted and framed and they turned out beautifully. The majority of mine came from, of course, eBay. :wink:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom