• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio! please read!! very important to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbalero

Hola Sergio,

First of all, i would like to congratulate you on your success and great music! I've been your fan ever since i herd that soccer Brazilian commercial with your hit song "Mais que nada"..., you're one of my favorite composers of all time, if not the best!!

I am a music student at Florida International University. I am currently attending a class entitled music business and we are working on a class project in which we have to produce an album from scratch. We are putting together music from different local bands and some student's music. I recently composed a song entitled "El Color del Tambor" , it speaks about how important the color of the drum is (refering to the african roots in all of our music, from colombian cumbia, to cuban salsa, to peruvian festejo, to brasilian samba...), so there's one part in my song in which I turn the song into a samba in respect to the great music that goes in Brasil..., so I couldn't resist but to put your "Mais que nada" chorus in it.., it sounds great and it is genious.., If you have some time, go check it out so you can listen to it.. go to www.myspace.com/tonysuccar (its the 1st song)

So what I want to ask you is for your permission to use this on this class project..., I really want to put this song on this album, but ofcourse i'll have to have your okay..

well, thank you for your time maestro

your friend,
Tony Succar

Tony,

While your post is well-intentioned, it's a bit misplaced. A&M Corner is a fan site, not affiliated with Mr. Mendes. While we hope he drops in here, we don't know that he does.

One of our moderators is in contact with the Mendes family; he might want to pass your request on, but there is no guarantee of this. Meantime, you might want to contact Universal Music Group - they own the rights to the original "Mas Que Nada."

Bemvindo Tony! Welcome to this great site. Your post was most interesting and we wish you much success in the future. Keep visiting this fine site, there are many knowledgeable people here. Where are you from? My name is Bernie, and I'm from Puerto Rico. I too am a Sergio Mendes and MPB lover. (Musica Popular Brazileira)

Hello. Welcome to the corner. I'm sure if Sergio does end up reading this post, he might take a look at your Myspace Profile.But I doubt it because he's a very busy man. Don't give up and I can help you get in touch with his management. Feel free to contact me because I do have a few addresses that could be useful. Another thing, don't let anyone from the forum DISCOURAGE YOU. I understand what you're trying to accomplish and I admire you for that.I love your music that's featured on your profile. Keep up the great work. :wink:

Thanks alot you guys..., I am still trying to get in touch with him but there seems like I have no chance..., well , i am still going to keep my fingers crossed and hope he reads this someday, or reads his myspace messages!!..., but thanks for everyone that is helping me , may god bless you all...

Tony Succar

que viva la musica mi hermanos!

Tony - I went and listened to the song, it sounds great. I was under the impression that you used Sergio's recording of Mas Que Nada as a sample. You actually perform the song on your recording, so you would need to contact the publisher for use permission, not Mr. Mendes. I'm not sure who publishes that song these days, but maybe somebody else can help you with that info.

Mike awsome!!.., thanks man.., yeah, i recorded it myself.., i dont like sampling anything.., i like to do things my own style..., so yeah, do you have n e idea who the publisher might be?

Mike Blakesley said:
Tony,

While your post is well-intentioned, it's a bit misplaced. A&M Corner is a fan site, not affiliated with Mr. Mendes. While we hope he drops in here, we don't know that he does.

One of our moderators is in contact with the Mendes family; he might want to pass your request on, but there is no guarantee of this. Meantime, you might want to contact Universal Music Group - they own the rights to the original "Mas Que Nada."

Mike, Universal Music Group owns the right to the original Brasil 66 recording of Mas Que Nada. They don't own the rights to the song itself. Rather, it's PeerMusic that controls those specific right.

Tony, if you want to include a sample of the Mas Que Nada by Brasil 66 then you would have to contact Universal Music Group. If it's a case where you just want to incorporate a part of the Mas Que nada song then contact PeerMusic.

http://www.peermusic.com/siteresult.cfm?ss=mas que nada

Try reading the whole thread. He doesn't want to license the sample, he wants licensing rights for the song itself.

Yes, the song is published by Peer International, also responsible for Publishing of the Donovan catalog and I think Eric Burdon and Van Morrison have had songs published through them as well... :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

So yeah.., I'm just trying to use the melody of his chorus .., the Mais que nada one.., and I recorded everything myself.., i dont need the underline master recording , i need the composition license i guess.., but remember, im not going to use this for sale, its this class project im doing which will not generate any profit at all...

I mean eventually i will want to sell this song out in the market when I come out with my own cd which i am still in the process of, but for now its just so they can let me put it on a project ya know...

well keep me updated.., thanks

i still have no responce from him from anywhere.., i think ima have to catch him on the street of brasil or something.., hahaha

Cortnee: You're always there, like a heat-seaking missile in slingbacks, looking to locate conflict where it isn't. In no way was M. Blakesley's response DISCOURAGING (your capitals). It was honest and practical. Your historical knowledge of and insight into Sergio and his various Brasils is not always ALL THAT, yet you proclaim and snipe with such "authority". Have your say and do what you will, but leave your frickin' attitude outside the door (perhaps in a bucket). Don't tempt me to quote all the times you've come across as rude, defensive, offensive, right and wrong because this forum is full of examples. Posters can do their own research.

No lawyers, here; (At least to MY knowledge!) just that sometimes people Post stuff here, and then, denying what they testify, tend to edit out what they regret stating... (Only in reference to one notable event here...)
lock.gif

Dave

--Chief Justice
biggavel.gif
of KRAYOLAS :neutral:inkshield: :laugh:

man, i still have no hope in getting that license.. what do I do, no one seems to care, i contact peer music, now i contacted harry fox , and still nothing... no one cares about us little ones huh?

Methinks you are in too much of a hurry. Have patience. These big outfits don't exactly move like lightning, unless you owe them money.

true that..., I think I'm going to quit.., I'm changing majors in school, i think engineering is much easier, just study and then graduate, then go to work, get paid, and then have kids.., the normal life is so much simpler

I never said that Mike B. was being DISCOURAGING, as a matter of fact I never specified any names. You need to go back and read the post carefully.What I told this newcomer in my post was to not let anyone dicourage him . I said this because some people can be discouraging. Once again, I did not specify any names.It sounds like to me that someone has a guilt complex or else you wouldn't be acting overly self defensive.
:cool:

Chris Martin said:
Cortnee: You're always there, like a heat-seaking missile in slingbacks, looking to locate conflict where it isn't. In no way was M. Blakesley's response DISCOURAGING (your capitals). It was honest and practical. Your historical knowledge of and insight into Sergio and his various Brasils is not always ALL THAT, yet you proclaim and snipe with such "authority". Have your say and do what you will, but leave your frickin' attitude outside the door (perhaps in a bucket). Don't tempt me to quote all the times you've come across as rude, defensive, offensive, right and wrong because this forum is full of examples. Posters can do their own research.

Gee, you seem to be so defensive...why? Why not let Mike B. speak for himself and why not let Mike B. do his own defense?No, it seems like you're the one creating the conflict in this particular thread.My knowledge is VAST and it does cover most of Sergio's career and I am able to back it all of it up.
Can you back your knowledge up? If so, then FANTASTIC. If not, then it's best to zip your lips and open your ears and lay back, relax and soak up the true knowledge so that maybe your little brain will absorb it.Chris, you may just LEARN SOMETHING today, or tomorrow or whenever.................

I never claimed to " KNOW IT ALL " and for the times that I did mistakenly post innaccurate information I did acknowldge my mistakes ,I did say that I was wrong, I did apologize, and I did correct my mistakes. But I never seen you apologize for your innaccurate posts. No, Chris you think you're perfect and you're never sorry for anything. GIVE ME A BREAK!!Hey Chris, you do not have to read my posts if you don't want to. Why read my posts since you think I'm wrong, rude, offensive, defensive, etc.? You don't make any sense.I agree with you, posters can do their own research, that's their prerogative.It won't bother me a bit. Just like you can do your so called research and I will do mine. Lord only knows where you get your information from............

Chris, do what you want and say what you want to say but don't talk to me because you don't make any sense to me. You're a waste of MY TIME.
GOOD BYE CHRIS MARTIN. HAVE A NICE LIFE.I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.GOD BLESS CHRIS MARTIN. AMEN!

Dave said:
No lawyers, here; (At least to MY knowledge!) just that sometimes people Post stuff here, and then, denying what they testify, tend to edit out what they regret stating... (Only in reference to one notable event here...)
lock.gif

Dave

--Chief Justice
biggavel.gif
of KRAYOLAS :neutral:inkshield: :laugh:

Yep Dave. I have edited my posts in the past. Yep, I'M GUILTY.But haven't most of us edited our posts at one time or another?

But, if we're not allowed to edit our posts then WHAT IS THE SENSE OF HAVING THE EDIT BUTTON? Dave, you don't make any sense either.You and the other guy ( no names) should get along PERFECTLY.I'm sure the two of you will be very happy together.

Okay, I am GUILTY of editing my posts. I PLEAD GUILTY. So what's the penalty for the HORRIBLE CRIME OF EDITING POSTS?A hefty fine? Imprisonment? Community Service? Probation?

BRING IT ON JUDGE DAVE!

" Exiting the Sergio Mendes Courtroom at A&M Corner Forum. This courtroom is presided by THE HONORABLE JUDGE DAVE.You may all now be seated.AMEN!).............LOL:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom