• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio's Live Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

There were 3 sets of Live Albums:

1. Expo 70 (70)
2. In Concert (73)
3. Brasil '77 Live in Japan (74?)

Even though I am a big Karen and Lani fan, I think that the Expo 70 sounds a little off. You also have to consider that 1970 didn't have the electronics for live music like they do today. People performed and hoped that everyone was in sync (more or less).

Brasil '77 / Live in Japan sounds nice with Bonnie and Gracinha taking the vocals. But the one draw back is the "electric wah-type guitar" which probably sound great in '73. Highlights are Bonnie's "Something". And they do a great job splitting leads in "Like a Lover" and "Wave" (Wave Gracinha did as Bossa Rio). But the guitar loses it for me, especially in "Day Tripper". (This album was somewhat hard to find until ebay. It's usually a double album, but I have also seen it as a single album with less tracks.)

In Concert is a great blend of songs. I really like the live version of Viramundo. It's good to hear Sergio do a version of "Boy from Ipanema". "Look of Love" is great live, and "Sometimes in Winter" sounds great live, too. Geri Stevens and Gracinha tackle the vocals here. There are 2 versions of this album. One is stereo and the other is mono. IMHO I think that "In Concert" is the best live album even though it has the lesser known singers (at that time), I think that it has a great music selection, and Geri and Gracinha sing the songs like they have been singing them for years. I like this version of "Viramundo" better than the studio version.

Expo 70 was the most disappointing for me, and I think that it wasn't pressed for release in the US for a reason.

How do Sergio fans feel about his live music? (To have all the orchestration in Studio versions vs. the "basics" in the live albums.)

I like the IN CONCERT album the best. It has a few strings here and there, and the live "Viramundo" is killer. I was hoping for a bit more of "After Sunrise" in the medley. The thing that always drives me nuts on live albums is the extended solo or vamp. They often work great in a live setting but I think they should be severely edited on live albums. Hearing "oba, oba, oba" at the end of "Mais Que Nada" is great on the album fadeout, but in the live albums it just goes on tooooooooo long.

I like all of the Sergio live albums, and it's hard for me to pick a favorite as each has its charms. The LIVE AT EXPO '70. I'll give you that it's not the best sounding technically, and the performances themselves are a bit wonky at times, but it harkens back to my seeing that aggregation in concert here in Philadelphia around the same time.

IN CONCERT sounds the best to me, but the song selection doesn't quite do it for me.

And I think I've listened to the Brasil '77 concert the least of the three, but still find it enjoyable.

So, no clearcut favorites here. I enjoy them all.

Harry

Are these Live Albums really that widely available? I personally have probably never seen them near me unless I were to go way back before this "A&M Collector Site Thing" ever kicked on...

If these recordings are furthur hampered by poor sound quality, then there is obviously a need for a Perfect Live Document, other than probably a "Bootleg"...

Pretty much like Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same, only in this case, it's The SAMBA Remains The Same...! :biglaugh:

Dave

I would love hear all of them, but it seems like they're never available. You really have to hunt for them. Has anyone here seen the group live? Brasil 66 or Brasil 77

I was too little to remember (may have been two or three years old), but I went with my parents to see the TJB, when Brasil '66 was the opening act. Probably was at Cobo Arena.

Live At Expo '70 is readily available on Japanese CD from several sources for about $24-$28.

The CD Sergio Mendes Songs has as one of its bonus tracks, Mas Que Nada from In Concert (Live At The Greek), so the master tapes must have been available. Let's hope we can get the rest of that album on a CD re-issue.

I believe the 3rd live album was released by Sony in Japan, so I wouldn't have a strong reason to think that a CD would come out, but who knows?

Well, Japan has ran out of things to release for him, just about. They will either release one of the Live albums or "Horizonte Aberto". I think that's the only thing that Japan hasn't released. Actually, some 70s stuff that was released in Brasil wasn't released in Japan. I bet it's a matter of time before they release the Live Albums.

Maybe they'll do a singles collection (like they did with the carpenters)

I seem to have acquired three different iterations of the LIVE IN JAPAN album. The first one came through an old Corner member Jean-Carlo Marchio, who we haven't heard from in years. He was based in Japan and unearthed the first version I'd ever heard of of this recorded concert. His version was called:

CARNIVAL: LIVE IN JAPAN

One Note Samba
Going Out Of My Head
Love Music
Wave
Scarborough Fair
Like A Lover
Jogo De Roda-Manha De Carnaval
I Can See Clearly Now
Killing Me Softly With His Song
Pradizer Adeus
Fool On The Hill
Mas Que Nada

Somehow, another long unheard from member Paula, got a better copy from Jean-Carlo and sent that to me also.

Then someone, I forget who, could have been Paula, came across another live album, something called GOLD DISC:

GOLD DISC

Fool On The Hill
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
The Look Of Love/Oye Como Va
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Scarborough Fair
Love Music
Wave
Going Out Of My Head
Something/Daytripper
Mas Que Nada

A few years later I found a different LP on eBay from Japan, but also called GOLD DISC:

GOLD DISC CBS SONY (26AP 1316)

Mais Que Nada
One Note Samba / Spanish Flea
Wave
Like A Lover
Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Scarborough Fair

Fool On The Hill
Something / Daytripper
Going Out Of My Head
The Look Of Love / Oye Como Va
I Can See Clearly Now
Love Music

That LP is in nice shape, complete with Obi strip.

As you can see, all of those are very similar, yet none have the identical track listing. That concert must've been sliced'n'diced many times in many ways.

Harry

I have yet another version of the Live in Japan album called-Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77/Live. I believe it is the most complete; a 2 album set with 16 tracks. Apparently all the versions of the album are from 2 concerts, one at Osaka Festival Hall and the other at Tokyo Koseinenkin Hall, recorded April 7 & 15, 1973.

SERGIO MENDES & BRAZIL '77/LIVE [Sony Epic ECPH 13-14 SM]

Love Music
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
Going Out of My Head
Live a Lover
Killing Me Softly with His Song
Wave
I Can See Clearly Now
Constant Rain
Koibito Tonde Oide Yo (Japanese Song)
Something/Day Tripper
Carnival Sound Medley
Pradizer Adeus
Fool on the Hill
The Look of Love
Scarborough Fair
Mais Que Nada

Sony clearly got a lot of mileage out of these tapes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom