• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio's Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Paul Jeromack and I have talked many times about how Sergio might possibly schedule vocalists for certain performances. I mean, you can see him three times in three months and he'll have a different combination of girls every time. We find this interesting.

We had come to the conclusion that Sergio likely has many vocalists on the back burner. In other words, these days he's using the dynamic (and gorgeous, I might add...) Jessica Taylor exclusively. Of course, Gracinha appears when she can -- always a treat! Most recently, he's added Dawn Bishop -- an African American Music Professor from Boston University with a sensational voice.

Then again, Carol Rogers and Kevyn Lettau do step in from time to time as well. He will, on occasion, call on Marietta Waters, as well as Frances Benitez, who toured with him for about two years (1999 to 2000). Carol is basically retired, Marietta is carving her musical niche, Frances left and had a baby. In other words, Sergio has a bevy of talent to choose from -- something Paul and I had always wondered about.

Gracinha cleared this up for us last November at the Blue Note. It's just what we thought. "Sergio just calls 'em up," she told us. "Sometimes they have other commitments, or the regulars can't appear for some reason. He calls 'em up, asks them to sing, sends them the music and a songlist, and we're on our way..." According to Gracinha, this bevy of vocalists is well polished on Sergio's current material. If not, they rehearse until proficient. They've done it for so many years, it often takes a brief rehearsal and/or sound check to get it down. Amazing!

This proves that Sergio has not only a good ear for talent, he also has a catalogue of dedicated vocalists to choose from.

Jon

...amazed by Sergio's vocal roster, online...

Katia Moraes is ANOTHER sensational vocalist that Sergio has worked with in recent years.She is from Rio and has been residing in the States since the early 90s. Katia is leading a band with fellow Sergio bandmates Bill Brendle & Hussain Jiffrey called Brasil Nuts. Check out Katia's website at www.katiamoraes.com

You're right! I'd read about Katia before, but it didn't register. To be honest, Sergio is known for using various vocalists (other than those from his "roster") in concert. Although Siedah Garrett appeared on record, I hadn't thought that she'd appeared on stage. Come to find out that she did, indeed, do a concert or two with Mendes.

I also forgot to mention well-known Jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves, who worked and toured with Sergio for a couple of years.

Jon

...still amazed by Sergio's vocal roster, online...

Speaking of singers, Lani Hall used to hang out and visit another legendary 60s singer Ms. Ronnie Spector. Lani & Ronnie were close friends in their heyday.

Hey Kejo!

That's true about Lani and Ronnie. I'd heard the same thing from a few of my L.A. friends.

I have a good friend who was lucky enough to have been Karen Philipp's next-door neighbor back in the early '70s to mid '80s. According to Kathy, Lani was a frequent visitor to Karen's town house, toting Aria (she and Herb's daughter) right along with her. Lani and Karen remain close friends to this day. No surprise, seeing as they toured together for well over four years.

Jon

It's really nice to know that Lani & karen are still close friends today :D For some reason I thought that they had drifted apart but I was WRONG! You & Kathy probably talk alot about Karen. How is Karen doing today?Does she have any children of her own? Did she ever make peace with Rubens Bassini? I know that she was very much in love with him at one time, but he broke her heart. Do you know anything about Janis Hansen?

Kejo said:
How is Karen doing today?Does she have any children of her own? Did she ever make peace with Rubens Bassini? I know that she was very much in love with him at one time, but he broke her heart. Do you know anything about Janis Hansen?

Hey Kevin!

Karen is a very private person. She's married to Pat Proft (writer and producer of the Police Academy films, Modern Problems, Real Genius, Hot Shots, Wrongfully Accused, Mr. Magoo, etc.) They live in Pat's boyhood town of Orono, Minnesota and Pat has a son -- also in the film industry. I don't if he and Karen have children of their own. Once again, they are very private people.

As for Rubens, Karen came to grips with the situation and moved on. I believe they parted as friends.

My friend, Kathy, thoroughly enjoyed the years they lived side-by-side as neighbors. Her former husband did Karen's acting portfolio (with some incredible photographs!) Kathy's father was a regular musician on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. She grew up in that world and met Karen following a Brasil '66 appearance on the show. They became fast friends. Eventually, Karen ended up moving in next-door to Kathy and her husband. Kathy has nothing but wonderful things to say about Karen. Matter of fact, Karen could often be heard referring to Sergio Mendes as, "A musical genius..."

In reality, Karen's real struggle was between acting and a singing career. As she said in a TV Guide article, "I realized that if it came down to singing or acting, I'd have to go with acting..." When her agent called to tell her she had won the role of Lt. Dish on M*A*S*H, she sung "I Did It My Way" into the phone. :D

A couple of years ago, I heard Pat Proft interviewed on a radio program. He said that he and Karen like to canoe together while he goes over scripts -- they bounce ideas off of one another for the wild antics in his films.

These days, Karen is into Fine Silver collecting and has appeared on the Home Shopping Network showing her wares. She loves antiques as well. She and Pat contribute to local charities, acting schools, etc. She has a well-rounded, happy life.

Janis is a Christian novelist these days. There was a thread about Janis a couple of months ago - including a recent photo. She just completed a series of Christian books for children called "The Bible Adventure Club" and she's a really, really nice lady. We've corresponded a time or two via e-mail. She's pleased that Sergio's music is making a comeback, immensely enjoyed the Brasil '66 experience, but wanted to get married. That's when she left the group. She went on to become the "singing" voice for a major car company (on radio and television), did some production work and briefly worked with the singing group "The Carnival".

Jon

Kejo said:
...Do you know anything about Janis Hansen?

Hey Kevin!

Thanks to Harry, we had a recent photo of our lovely Janis Hansen posted here a few months ago. Here it is...

janis_hansen.gif

Her warmth really shines through. What a great lady she is! :)

Jon

Brasil_Nut said:
Karen is a very private person. She's married to Pat Proft (writer and producer of the Police Academy films, Modern Problems, Real Genius, Hot Shots, Wrongfully Accused, Mr. Magoo, etc.) They live in Pat's boyhood town of Orono, Minnesota and Pat has a son -- also in the film industry. I don't if he and Karen have children of their own. Once again, they are very private people. . . .

In reality, Karen's real struggle was between acting and a singing career. As she said in a TV Guide article, "I realized that if it came down to singing or acting, I'd have to go with acting..." When her agent called to tell her she had won the role of Lt. Dish on M*A*S*H, she sung "I Did It My Way" into the phone. :D

A couple of years ago, I heard Pat Proft interviewed on a radio program. He said that he and Karen like to canoe together while he goes over scripts -- they bounce ideas off of one another for the wild antics in his films.

Now that you mentioned it (and I appreciate all the updates, for sure), I wish to note that Ms. Philipp's entry in the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) carries the legend "Sometimes Credited As Karen Philipp-Proft," thus confirming your points. She had been billed as such in her last known acting role to date, as a "Secretary" in the 1985 film Moving Violations -- which happened to be co-produced and co-written by Mr. Proft.

W.B. said:
Now that you mentioned it (and I appreciate all the updates, for sure), I wish to note that Ms. Philipp's entry in the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) carries the legend "Sometimes Credited As Karen Philipp-Proft," thus confirming your points. She had been billed as such in her last known acting role to date, as a "Secretary" in the 1985 film Moving Violations -- which happened to be co-produced and co-written by Mr. Proft.

Karen's scene in Moving Violations, although brief, is really cute. At the conclusion of a wild chase scene, everyone comes running through a local government office in search of a certain official. Karen plays his secretary. As everyone runs past, she can be heard saying to each of them, "Do you have an appointment...do you have an appointment...do you have an appointment...do you have an appointment..." and so on. It's adorable.

Jon

...who has many appointments, offline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom