🎵 12" SotW Sheila and B. Devotion: "Spacer" b/w "Don't Go" (Carrere Records DM 4811)

1698929413476.pngSheila & B. Devotion
"Spacer" b/w "Don't Go"

Carrere Records DM 4811
Released 1979
Speed: 33⅓ RPM

A1: Spacer / 6:14
B1: Don't Go / 4:32

From the album King of the World, released 1979.
Carrere Records in the US was distributed by Atlantic Records.

1698929608294.png
Album cover for King of the World

This is a somewhat forgotten song produced by The Chic Organization (Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards) which at best, made #44 on the Billboard dance music chart. The song could have been lifted straight off of a Chic album at the time, and was part of an album Rodgers and Edwards produced for the French singer Sheila who from 1977-1980, headed a group called Sheila and B. Devotion (also known as "Sheila B. Devotion" or "Sheila and Black Devotion" in various parts of the world, with the first single mysteriously released as "S.B. Devotion" until her identity was revealed after their first single "Love Me Baby" became a hit in France. Black Devotion was a trio of singers/dancers hired to accompany Sheila. Prior to this brief period in her career, she had enormous success in France as a bubblegum pop singer, and continued with more adult-oriented music past 1980.

I remember the song, and especially the album cover well. I don’t think we ever sold any copies though.

I remember the song, and especially the album cover well. I don’t think we ever sold any copies though.
I bought a sealed copy of the album within the past few years. Maybe I was the 231st purchaser of that record? 😁 This single barely charted in the US, which was a surprise given the Rodgers/Edwards production which was hot at the time.

At the time, I thought that "Spacer" as the most enjoyable Rodgers/Edwards production up to that point. I thought that and Sister Sledge's "He's The Greatest Dancer" were the coolest dance tracks at the time. I think that :Spa cer" did not hit in the US becuase of Sheila's accent and voice. For me, it did take some time to get used to Sheila's voice and accent, but I love both the song and the album.

There is a nice 21st century remix of "Your Love Is Good" that I absolutely love!

I thought that and Sister Sledge's "He's The Greatest Dancer" were the coolest dance tracks at the time.
That is one of my favorite Chic-produced tracks right there. I hate to say it but "We Are Family" is so overplayed and overused that I always skip it now. But on the other hand, it's good that Rodgers/Edwards penned and produced something that has become part of our culture. I'm sure it is still played at wedding receptions today as it was back in the 80s and 90s.

"Spacer" got little if any airplay locally, while Chic and Sister Sledge got the bulk of it. I don't remember hearing Norma Jean's two tracks "Saturday" or "I Like Love" all that often--when I picked up the album four or five years ago, the songs sounded vaguely familiar.

Back
Top Bottom