• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Siedah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Fry's Yesterday, and I saw a new CD by Siedah Garrett. It's simply called "Siedah" by the artist "Siedah", and it's her!

I was SO tempted to get it. I am a big fan of her music, but the album was labelled rock and not R&B. I liked her "Kiss of Life" album from 1989ish. And I liked her Quincy Jones appearances, Sergio Mendes, Brand New Heavies, etc...

Has anyone heard this CD yet???

Here is the amazon.com link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009WHSL

My money's on it being a pop CD with R&B leanings. Are there any sound samples at Amazon you could listen to?

She's sort of an overlooked vocalist...she always seems to be on the verge of a major breakthrough but never quite achieves it. That's fine though. Better that, than be twisted and molded by some record industry executive.

You know, it's interesting. Siedah did appear as a session vocalist with Mendes. However, she did little touring with the band. I did see her appear with Sergio at the Paul Mason Winery many years ago -- an appearance made magical by the addition of Marietta Waters and Lise Miller -- the three of them made a beautiful combination.

I agree, Neil. Siedah is overlooked as an artist. Her story is much like Jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves. Dianne, who appeared with Mendes back in the late '80s, has had difficulty finding her niche in the music industry. Hailed as a great vocalist, like Siedah with R&B, Dianne is often overlooked in Jazz circles.

Jon

I would compare Sideah's career more to Patti Austin. Both were Quincy Jones' attempts to bring them to a wider audience with limited success,both artisitically and commercially. Patti had a career before Quincy and after-hopefully Ms. Garrett will as well. Dianne,on the other hand,has pretty much received her due,considering she bloomed in the '90s. Most of her recordings have been with one company- EMI worldwide,Blue Note in the US(two early albums on Palo Alto). She has done some R&B-tinged material,through the guidance of cousin George Duke but has grown into her own as a successor to Carmen MaCrae and Sarah Vaughn. If anything of a downside for Ms. Reeves career,it is that she is a true jazz singer in an era of smooth jazz,where passion combined with ability and an adventure to explore does not lead to commercial success. Also, labelmate Cassandra Wilson has received more attention by the critics. Looking at her website,however,Dianne has performances scheduled worldwide into next July-someone out there must be waiting to hear her take stage. Mac

Siedah Garrett did vocal work on three Sergio Mendes albums, all in the A&M '80s period: Confetti, Brasil '86, and Arara. She also appeared as a backing vocalist on Carpenters' Lovelines on the track "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night."

As I recall, she originally appeared in the public eye with Stevie Wonder.

Harry
...sipping that first cup of coffee in the morning, online...

Was it Stevie, Harry? For some reason I thought she first got noticed backing up that paragon of normalcy, Michael Jackson. :)

You're right. No wonder I repressed it!

[Heh! Pun unintended!]

Harry
...standing corrected, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom