• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Singer Tori Holub: Reminiscent of Karen

Good arrangement for and tasteful accompaniment to this classic Blues standard, covered by the likes of Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday and many others.

It's nice to hear Tori singing something other than a Carpenter song. With her obvious talent I'm sure she can do a number of others. However, most of her YouTube videos seem to be Carpenter covers. I just watched her do the Bacharach Medley, including all the background parts, and it was very impressive. She also did a video explaining in detail how the Carpenters created their "sound" in the studio, displaying a ton of skill, knowledge and intelligence.

As far as being "reminiscent" of Karen goes, this is as always subject to personal opinion, and is always a "touchy" comparison, on shakey ground at best. There is a slight resemblance in range and tone, but it's just that - slight. We've heard this claim many times in the past with various singers, and it has never panned out as true and accurate. Tori is no exception to this. She would be much better off in the long run by concentrating less on Carpenter songs and Karen's voice & style and more on her own songs, and developing her own unique style.

There's a lot of talent here - she needs to go after her own career in a big way - what the world doesn't need is just another Karen sound-a-like in a long string of them.

This recording is a step in the right direction.

Good arrangement for and tasteful accompaniment to this classic Blues standard, covered by the likes of Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday and many others.

It's nice to hear Tori singing something other than a Carpenter song. With her obvious talent I'm sure she can do a number of others. However, most of her YouTube videos seem to be Carpenter covers. I just watched her do the Bacharach Medley, including all the background parts, and it was very impressive. She also did a video explaining in detail how the Carpenters created their "sound" in the studio, displaying a ton of skill, knowledge and intelligence.

As far as being "reminiscent" of Karen goes, this is as always subject to personal opinion, and is always a "touchy" comparison, on shakey ground at best. There is a slight resemblance in range and tone, but it's just that - slight. We've heard this claim many times in the past with various singers, and it has never panned out as true and accurate. Tori is no exception to this. She would be much better off in the long run by concentrating less on Carpenter songs and Karen's voice & style and more on her own songs, and developing her own unique style.

There's a lot of talent here - she needs to go after her own career in a big way - what the world doesn't need is just another Karen sound-a-like in a long string of them.

This recording is a step in the right direction.
100%! She's done all the covers because those are the ones she keeps getting requests to do. Her heart is to focus on her own identity as far as her honest pursuit of the business as a self-styled vocalist. I'm helping her with the demo she's putting together, all covers (with the exception of one original), and it's a mixture—certainly NOT all Carpenters.

Thanks for your feedback @JohnFB ... always appreciated!

100%! She's done all the covers because those are the ones she keeps getting requests to do. Her heart is to focus on her own identity as far as her honest pursuit of the business as a self-styled vocalist. I'm helping her with the demo she's putting together, all covers (with the exception of one original), and it's a mixture—certainly NOT all Carpenters.

Thanks for your feedback @JohnFB ... always appreciated!
My pleasure! And if this is an example of your work together then she's in very good hands indeed...

I had the honor and privilege of arranging and producing this rendition of “Georgia On My Mind” for my friend and vocalist, Tori Holub. With a voice reminiscent of Karen, Tori is truly a unique talent!

Very nice. This is the very first time that someone has said "reminiscent of Karen" and the singer really is reminiscent of Karen. You gave her a great bed to work with too and you stayed out of the way so she could do what she does. I like this.

Ed

There are so many interpretations of this song and I like this arrangement a lot. The jazzed up finish was beautiful.

When I listed to this earlier today I started playing it on my phone and after :23 to :40 or so of listening to the vocals I decided to cast it over to a Sonos speaker in that room to give it a good listen, and I don't even remember when, but the last song that was playing the last time I cast from AirPlay on that speaker was Invocation and so unintentionally, Karen and Tori Holubs' vocals played back to back for a few seconds before Airplay caught up with the cast and the striking similarity in tonal quality gave me pause.

The other thing to me, that is reminiscent is that Tori doesn't try to do too much with the song. She just lets her own self sparkle, as Karen would. Very nice recording.

There are so many interpretations of this song and I like this arrangement a lot. The jazzed up finish was beautiful.

When I listed to this earlier today I started playing it on my phone and after :23 to :40 or so of listening to the vocals I decided to cast it over to a Sonos speaker in that room to give it a good listen, and I don't even remember when, but the last song that was playing the last time I cast from AirPlay on that speaker was Invocation and so unintentionally, Karen and Tori Holubs' vocals played back to back for a few seconds before Airplay caught up with the cast and the striking similarity in tonal quality gave me pause.

The other thing to me, that is reminiscent is that Tori doesn't try to do too much with the song. She just lets her own self sparkle, as Karen would. Very nice recording.
Isn’t that arrangement stunning?!

Wow, thank you so so much for your kindness. ❤️

Very nice. This is the very first time that someone has said "reminiscent of Karen" and the singer really is reminiscent of Karen. You gave her a great bed to work with too and you stayed out of the way so she could do what she does. I like this.

Ed
Yes, this - If you haven't heard this (below link), it's an amazing rendition of part of Only Yesterday. Incredible voice and I wish her the best as she expands and pursues her own artist aspirations. Sorry, don't know how to embed the way Chris did at the start of this thread.

https://youtu.be/STMhFRI9NpM?si=jvSBwnMOHWOATyp-

I had the honor and privilege of arranging and producing this rendition of “Georgia On My Mind” for my friend and vocalist, Tori Holub. With a voice reminiscent of Karen, Tori is truly a unique talent!

Thank you for introducing Tori Holub to me. She has the fortunate circumstance of time, with three decades of new material to sing and record. Look forward to hearing more of her talent. TK

Tori has a lovely voice. It is special enough that I think she should pursue her own music as opposed to covering so many Carpenters songs. Speaking strictly for me, I've already heard Karen sing these songs and no one else can possibly measure up, so I think it's a mistake to keep pursuing the "Karen's sound alike" angle. I am not trying to be critical. Tori has one of the best voices I've heard in quite a long time.

Do you know if Richard carpenter has ever heard or seen tori , it’s uncanny how close she is in terms of voice and tone
Richard has seen & heard a number of Karen "sound-a-likes" and it's likely he's heard her - nothing much ever came of any of this. He knew they were not Karen, and he knows Tori is not Karen - no one ever will be - there will be no Karen revival or reincarnation - the sooner Tori comes to this realization the better for her. She needs forget the Karen obsession & get on with her own career, which shows much promise.

Do you know if Richard carpenter has ever heard or seen tori , it’s uncanny how close she is in terms of voice and tone
She hinted once that Richard knew of her and kind of left it at that
the sooner Tori comes to this realization the better for her. She needs forget the Karen obsession & get on with her own career, which shows much promise.
I think it's nice she does covers of their songs and maybe her posts on TikTok get young people possibly interested in some Carpenters songs. She's definitely said nobody sounds like Karen and she isn't trying to be a sound-a-like.

Back
Top Bottom