• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Singles 69-73 finally deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I have been checking some online stores and none of them have the Singles 69-73 in stock. Most of them list backordered since 2003.

The Christmas Portrait has finally been deleted also.

Can anyone confirm this :?:

CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT is still available and is not cut out. The CHRISTMAS COLLECTION is still available as well.)

SINGLES 1969-1973 was indeed cut-out quite some time ago.

Another surprising development is that the "remaster" of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE is cut out as of 3/25. Too bad, that was my favorite of the compilations. (The video versions are still available, however.)

Hey Mike I am sorry. I meant to say the Christmas Portrait Cassette. Not the Christmas Portrait CD.

And I meant the Candian and Japanese versions of the Singles 69-73. Can't win for trying. :D

So then it's official that GOLD: 35th is the "replacement" for the old 2-disc Yesterday Once More. That was pretty much expected given what happened with the discs titled Singles.

Harry
...happy he's got 'em all, online...

Hey, but you can still get Singles 1969-1981, '69-'73's "official" replacement, can't you?

Dave

Yeah but nothing comparing to the original 69-73 singles. :D I still think this is the best of the best. Why it's been pulled I still don't understand. I'm one of the few people that never obtained an original singles 69-73 CD and now I sorta regret it after all these years only because it's now out of print.

I did however pick up an audiophile singles 69-73 LP in mint condition. I've burned that to Cd & sounds great.

...who would one day still like to find a re-mastered classics singles 69-73 CD to add to my C Collection, online....

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
...who would one day still like to find a re-mastered classics singles 69-73 CD to add to my C Collection, online....

Me too. I was going to order the Japanese version but now it's out of print. Does anybody know when it went out of print? It had to be early this year.

OK, found a good, used copy of this GREAT CLASSIC on CD! Just traded in a couple of my old, unwanted CD's and added 95 cents. :badteeth:

Dave :D

Is it the old original '80s issue, or the 1998 Remastered Classic?

sp3601.jpg

Harry
...who has both, online...

Oh, it's just the old, original '80's reissue. Even has the Computerized Numbers next to each song title.

Dave

...promising to give A&M CD 3601 a spin, as soon as I catch up on the rest of my "daily listening requirements"... :goofygrin:

Digitally Remastered Classic or not, it did play and sound good! :!: No match for my tried & true vinyl, but I was able to program a few songs in different order. Though "Rainy Days & Mondays" and "Goodbye To Love" seem attatched to one another, so they sounded funny :o "programmed apart".

Brings back memories of the family we knew that played mostly Carpenters music--and from that '69 to '73 era, at that! :wink: :love:

Dave

...and remember the inside of house done in AVOCADO and ORANGE, too!! :shock: :nut: :laugh:

I'm still somewhat confused about the 69-73 Singles CD. I don't have an official one. I have many diff type Singles LP's that I have burned to CD but no official CD of the singles 69-73.

How many issues of the Official CD Singles 69-73 are there?

Harry mentioned above 80's issue or remastered classics.

I have never seen a picture of a Re-mastered Classics Singles 69-73 CD. In fact I find it odd that I have never seen one on ebay & I've been looking for awhile now. All they show is the old looking one.

How can one tell by looking at the cover which issue you have? Since this album came out in the 70's is there a 70's issue CD and an 80's issue CD & then a Re-mastered Classics one too?

Then this leads me to this....If this CD was Re-mastered then why was it not included in the recent 35th anniv black box set in Re-mastered form?

So far I'm pretty content with my Quad & Audiophile Singles LP burned to CD BUT I want to add this official Cd to my collection & would like some clarification about official CD releases on this Singles CD.

OK, I stole this image off of a soon-to-expire CD on eBay. It's an original '80s issue:

1087967495853_BJ_carpenters01.jpg

The easy way to tell and '80s issue from a remastered solely on the cover alone is the COMPACT DISC DIGITAL AUDIO logo in the lower right corner. That's an indicator of the older product.

The CD remained in print for a long time, and I don't know how many minor issues/reissues it went through, but I know of only two basic USA versions.

CD's began coming out in the early/mid '80s with Carpenters' SINGLES 1969-1973 being one of the earliest titles. At the time there were only two CD pressing plants in the world, one in West Germany, one in Japan. US companies had their stuff pressed at either one of these two for a few years until they were able to get some CD pressing facilities up and running elsewhere. I'm not sure if SINGLES got pressed in West Germany as well as Japan - I think mine came from Japan.

When the Remastered Classics series came out in 1998, SINGLES 1969-1973 was one of them. These are fairly easily identified by the all-clear jewel cases with the left panel revealing the words REMASTERED CLASSICS underneath, coming through from the tray liner. On that tray liner, you'll see all of the albums that were REMASTERED. (Though I've yet to see a remastered INTERPRETATIONS).

So, assuming that all parts of the package are original, the COMPACT DISC DIGITAL AUDIO points to an '80s-issue version, while the clear tray points to a Remastered-in-1998 version.

As for its non-inclusion in the box set, I think the purpose of that was to issue only "studio" albums, not live ones or compilations. (If they included those as well, the mailman wouldn't have been able to lift it!)

Harry
NP: radio at work

Well, I happen to own a copy of the Remastered Classics version of "The Singles, 1969-1973". I too searched a bit for it before I finally found a sealed copy through a private party via Amazon.com.

This is definitely the original master, no remixes. All of the segues are in tact just like the original 1/4 inch. However, I did notice that unlike the other remastered discs that have that red "ring" around the outer edge of the CD, this disc does NOT, as I have owned two copies of this release and both were consistent with one another.

I have always considered this to be a classic album, even though it is a compilation, it stands alone, what with the cross-fades and the overall concept. I wonder if this disc was more of an experiment, just the fact that it didn't stick around in the "Classics" series long, and the silkscreen on the face of the disc varies from all the others.

Oh well, WHATEVER THE RULES ARE! :) -Chris

NOT meaning to be promoting a website where things can be purchased...

There is at least one copy of the "remastered classics" version of THE SINGLES 1969-73 at Half.com. You won't find THE SINGLES 1969-73 listed in their inventory, but if you look under THE SINGLES 1969-81 and scan down the listings, you'll see some sellers list various versions of the album in their descriptions, including some non-remastered as well as remastered versions of 69-73.

As for how you can spot a "remastered classics" version:

1) As Harry noted, the "Compact Digital Audio Disc" logo is NOT on the front cover.

2) When looking at the front of the jewel box, the left side of the tray portion (where the hinges are) will be clear plastic and you can read the words "Remastered Classics" underneath:

singlesremastered.jpg

3) The disc inside will be printed as a solid black with white text and a red Carpenters logo. The old version of the CD was black text on a silver background.

David
...who really is not doing this as self-promotion, but just providing info...

Chris May said:
I wonder if this disc was more of an experiment, just the fact that it didn't stick around in the "Classics" series long, and the silkscreen on the face of the disc varies from all the others.

I think the record company just didn't want two albums out there called SINGLES. Too confusing, I guess. When 1969-1981 came out, the logic must've been to delete the older, less complete one.

Too bad - as you said, it in itself is a masterpiece of a compilation, still not equalled to this day, IMHO.

davidgra said:
The disc inside will be printed as a solid black with white text and a red Carpenters logo. The old version of the CD was black text on a silver background.

Yep - Thanks David, I forgot to mention the distinction in the printing on the actual disc.

Harry
...wishing this were back in print, online...

davidgra said:
NOT meaning to be promoting a website where things can be purchased...

There is at least one copy of the "remastered classics" version of THE SINGLES 1969-73 at Half.com.

David
...who really is not doing this as self-promotion, but just providing info...

Who are you kidding? :wink: It's your CD that is for sale on half.com, so of course you're doing a little self-promotion. Nothing wrong with that, but why not just come out and say "I have one for sale if anyone is interested"? Unless that is against the rules here?...

Murray
...who has nothing against free enterprise...

This is excellent guys, thanks for the detailed explanation & pics that helps alot. I really want a Re-Mastered Singles CD but just seems very hard to find. I've never ordered from half .com is that like ebay?

Alot of times with ebay you can't see the jewel case so I couldn't tell if it was a remastered or an 80's issue. So now I know what to look for on the front cover. This will hold true as long as the picture on ebay is the correct picture of the actual item for sale. :confused:

..who still needs to get both an 80's issue & a remastered classics singles for my collection, online...

Chris--looks like Canadian issue. Maybe one of our "north of the border" members can tell us when it may have been released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom