Slept On: Karen Carpenter - If We Try.

I’ve only been able to watch about 22 mins will finish it later but I thought Olivia was also in attendance for the playback. I also thought that A&M asked her to go back and tweak the album some more and that’s why Quincy Jones came in to help? At playback I didn’t think it was a final no, didn’t they ask to re record or tweak the recordings or something like that? Was there 2 playbacks?

Going by Randy's book, it was Herb, Jerry and Richard at the A&M album playback with Karen and Phil. Karen also played the album (I interpret this as three separate occasions) for Frenda, Mike Curb and Olivia. Randy wrote that Richard was present when Karen played the album for Olivia, but that was a separate occasion from the label playback with Herb, Jerry and Richard. Randy didn't write anything about Olivia being asked to tweak the album.

I seem to remember reading someplace else (maybe it was in the Ray Coleman biography) that Quincy Jones got wind of the album's shelving, possibly from one of the session musicians or songwriters who also worked with him, and offered to help rework it, but his offer was declined.

I just corrected the "playback attendance" part. I garbled two things and my mind made one out of them. Thanks for the correction. This is an intricate story...LOL!

Ed

I just got a chance to listen to the rest. I agree when you said the album just came out of no where, it was a huge surprised especially after hearing it would never be released. It was mentioned in the music mags and Gavin was a big promoter with the album getting #1 most added album.

But when you mentioned that no one was around to help promote in 1996. Phil Ramone was still with us and he could have been the biggest promoter of this to help sales. But I understand the whole process probably left him bitter. I’m just glad that Richard appeased the fans who kept asking when it would be released. I love it!!

Really good work Ed - I wasn't aware you did these sort of video reviews/overviews - you chose the best song to audition - "If I Had You" is a really good song/recording but "If We Try" is the album's masterpiece (you knew I would say this).

...I left you additional remarks in the comments section of your video. Thanks for your efforts.

Really good work Ed - I wasn't aware you did these sort of video reviews/overviews - you chose the best song to audition - "If I Had You" is a really good song/recording but "If We Try" is the album's masterpiece (you knew I would day this).

...I left you additional remarks in the comments section of your video. Thanks for your efforts.

I thought of you when I chose that one. I love it but I know you do too so that influenced me. 😁😁. Glad you liked the vid.

Ed

I forgot to mention that I have a pic (very small) from what looks like a full page promo ad from Gavin magazine on her solo album. There’s an online archive of Gavin issues but they are missing several weeks from around this period so it must exist. I’d love to see a much clearer. I posted it before some where here.

Back
Top Bottom