Some Great News On The TJB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumors are that there are some previously unfinished TjB material being finished off. The story is that Herb was overdubbing some trumpet parts over previously recorded backing tracks. Whether or not these will be released in conjuction with full album CD releases or some kind of box set remains pure conjecture on the part of fans.

Harry
...awaiting more definitive news, online...

Yes, according to Randt Badazz. Steve Sodoruk has confirmed this via e-mails and Captain Bacardi is hopefully meeting with Randy as you're reading this. What is Herb releasing? That's the question of the hour. So far, we've heard that there will be some new stuff. Beyond that, we can only speculate. Hopefully The Cap'n can give us some more details when he returns on Aug 1st. We're all palpatating.

David,
hoping this helps....

Mike Blakesley said:
Dan - My whole point was, if Herb was on Letterman he would be able to PLAY. I agree an hour-long Larry King would be great too, but we would not hear any horn.

Au Contraire, mi amigo...Larry has had more than a few guests play and sing on his show...it doesn't happen often, but it does happen...I couldn't imagine a better person to interview Herb than Larry...

Dan

I think it would be fascinating to see an interview done by a skilled interviewer. IMO, it would take a skilled interviewer to cover the topics that Herb would be willing to discuss and keep the interview moving along without any problems, especially given what appears to be a reticence to discuss the past, and in regard to the Tijuana Brass era. And, if I were Herb, I would not play either.

IMO, I think a Larry King program featuring Herb would be far better than the kinds of things that go on with late night TV...

NPR did an interview with Herb about Stan Getz a few months back. Herb seems to like interviews to be short, sweet and too the point.

Someone earlier in the thread suggested using Telarc to do the releases. Telarc's main claim to fame is the excellent engineering done by Jack Renner and crew. From what I gather from the thread, the tracks are already layed down, later adding trumpets, so Jack/Telarc would do them no good.

I'm hoping that the references to "latest technology" being used to remaster, reissue (or whatever want to call it) some of the original material provides some remedial treatment to the multi-channel-mono-as-fake-stereo that at the time, was unfortunately near state-of-the-art for most of the TJB albums from the '60s. Impact and dynamic-range recovery is almost out of the question since so much compression was used, so I'd be happy with a nice soundstage - the kind I felt when seeing TJB in concert!

I've done some experimentation myself with creating stereo soundfields for the music using some programs like SoundForge with their "Impulse" references of various performing venues around the country, and created my own "greatest hits" CD. The toughest part is trying to get "air" around the instruments without smearing the sonic image, but it's a good hobby.

Steve Mitchelll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom