Some Great News On The TJB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Bill said:
What would be the point of there only being two Alpert/TJB CDs on the market (the disappointing Deaf Hits and this supposed collection of unreleased rarities)?

The whole point of axing everything in favor of DH apparently was to create demand for new product. Anything released after a drought should get a little added sales buzz.

Mr Bill said:
And since this news comes from Randy Badazz via both "A&M insider Steve S" and "the good Cap'n B" it is probably legit. And note that line: "Never before released music among other delights. Lots of cool stuff." Almost sounds like a "bonus track" approach to a reissue program to me!

I heard about this last October, actually, but I'm not one to promote "vaporware". Basically it appears to be a long ongoing project that is still a work in progress. If this much work is going into recording new trumpet parts to existing instrumental tracks, I smell a box set. :confused: Perfect place for rarities, as opposed to being disposable tracks on album reissues (which would, IMHO, sound awkward and dilute the experience of the original album). And a box is an even better place for some of those "fan favorite" tracks we like so much, without having to worry about original albums being reissued. If we do get reissues of the albums, it'll be the same ones that were already on CD, with a 50/50 chance they'll sound good, or sound like a digitized/EQed/NRed/compressed mess.

Think of all the neat things that could go into a box set--some of those old radio and TV commercials, these newly recorded "old" tracks, hits, fan favorites, B-sides, and possibly a really nice booklet with track by track notes by "Da Man" himself. :D

My own order of preference would be 1) Box Set; 2) Rarities disc; 3) album reissues. But none take the place of #1 in my book: the original vinyl. Can't get much closer to the original tapes than these. :)

I too tend to think this project will lead to some kind of box set. Anyone who's anyone in the music industry seems to have a career-spanning box set out there, and Herb is a natural for one - and way overdue.

Box sets, as mentioned, tend to be great places for those oddball 'never-before-released' tracks, leftovers, finished versions of old unfinished tracks, etc. I just hope that whatever set emerges is really inclusive of all of the rare stuff we already KNOW about. There would be nothing more frustrating than to get a greatly packaged and all-inclusive box set that somehow manages to forget something - like a "Mexican Drummer Man" or a "Fire And Rain". There always seems to be something that disappoints the die-hard fans, like the sound quality of DEF HITS which got on the wrong side of many of us.

Labels? I can scarcely imagine a Herb Alpert retrospective without that familiar 'letters and trumpet' logo on it, and I might be a bit disappointed if it should come out without an A&M on it somewhere.

Harry
...hoping for something for this Christmas or next year, online...

They will probably release a box that does not include my beloved favorite tune, "Sea is my Soil." But it WILL include all eleventeen versions of "Lonely Bull."

I only hope that the "powers that be" are reading this and/or are being made aware of what's being said here.

Herb: If you happen to read this: "The Sea Is My Soil" is a masterpiece! Put it on the box, PLEASE!"

Harry said:
I just hope that whatever set emerges is really inclusive of all of the rare stuff we already KNOW about. There would be nothing more frustrating than to get a greatly packaged and all-inclusive box set that somehow manages to forget something - like a "Mexican Drummer Man" or a "Fire And Rain". There always seems to be something that disappoints the die-hard fans, like the sound quality of DEF HITS which got on the wrong side of many of us.

:thumbsup: Agreed all the way around. As an example, neither of the two tracks you mention are all that rare (at one point, I came across two "Mex Drummer" and three "Fire And Rain" in the same trip to a local record shop), but for once it would be nice to have these in top quality, in one place, on a box set. :agree: All of the TJB rarities, B-sides, unfinished tracks and unreleased tracks (like those from the aborted third TJB reunion album) and even radio and TV jingles would easily fill up one disc in a set. Figure another disc's worth of the charting hits, plus a third disc of album favorites, and it would make for a nice tidy 3 disc set. With the length of typical TJB songs, you could get about 25 per disc, maybe even a few more.

Ideal fourth disc? How about some live tracks? I know we've mentioned here that the TJB has been recorded at least a couple of times in the past. How about 25 minutes each of songs from the original TJB era, the reformed TJB, and the reunion TJB in the mid 80s?

One thing I figure on for a box set: it could be the last time anything is released of the TJB for quite awhile, so why not do it in style? :)

NP: Sam Cooke, Portrait Of A Legend: 1951-1964, hybrid SACD :thumbsup:

What we got going for us:
- he owns the rights to all his recordings (though network-telecast material, radio spots, and potentially even live concert audio would likely face significant clearance issues)
- this'll be it: such an important part of his life will likely get one full restoration treatment
- he understands the business angle: withhold product for a long time and then blast it out there in a sea of publicity (ex:Star Wars on DVD)
- I doubt he sees the TJB as having miniscule market potential. Many of his albums hit the top 10. How many other top 10 albums haven't seen the light of day on CD? Good Lord, look at the stuff of dubious merit that's out there and available.

What we got going against us:
- he views the TJB period as a difficult one in his life, painful to re-live
- he is focused on growth...moving forward...new explorations...NOT re-living the past

I can't wait to hear what Randy Badazz conveys about this.

- I doubt he sees the TJB as having miniscule market potential. Many of his albums hit the top 10. How many other top 10 albums haven't seen the light of day on CD? Good Lord, look at the stuff of dubious merit that's out there and available.

Some artists just seem to be reissued or anthologized to death, while others have almost no representation. And while I don't want to diminish either artist, the duo Cashman & West had a Razor & Tie anthology, and I doubt many here have ever heard of them! The TJB burned up the album charts for awhile, and even had some good showings with the singles. A lot of obscurities make it to the reissue bins, and yet some popular artists barely are represented.

Another "artist in control" that I'm thinking of is Dave Clark. Heck, the DC5 nearly dominated the pop charts at one point. Only in the 70s did the songs get properly remixed for stereo, and even then, releases were few and far between. Even in the CD era, Hollywood released that CD set, and that was it. Clark has no interest in reissuing his old music anymore, either as an anthology or as individual albums. In others' opinions and mine, it just dilutes the value of the catalog he's holding back. If he reissues in 10 or 15 years, will anyone ever remember who the Dave Clark Five was??

Of course, any reissue from Herb should be backed by a brief tour.

There are a couple still playing who might enjoy a short road trip. Frischberg, Pisano, the trumpet man from the reformed TJB, etc

Herb could go on Letterman as a "sitting in with the band" artist. Shaffer and Alpert would have a ball and the instrumentation in that band is almost the same as the TJB (except marimba, of course!)

Mike Blakesley said:
Herb could go on Letterman as a "sitting in with the band" artist. Shaffer and Alpert would have a ball and the instrumentation in that band is almost the same as the TJB (except marimba, of course!)

For some reason- I don't see that happening, Mike. But you never know. I think you will have to pry him away from his art endeavours.

IMO, I do not see Herb Alpert heading out on the road to tour again, even if reissues, box sets, or whatever occurs. I know that if I were Herb, the last thing I would want to undertake at this point in time in my life is "the road..."

If some sort of promotion campaign is required or desired, I am sure there will be some way to accomplish it without touring...

Just my opinion.

Steven - it would be a helluva lot easier than touring and he could reach millions of people in one night, plus get a chance to talk about "whatever" is coming out.

Plus he'd get the $700 standard performance fee. :D

Historically, tours for reissue projects and box sets are rare, unless the artist or band is already an ongoing entity. (Like the Rolling Stones.) Promotional appearances? Sure. Letterman's a good gig for that kind of thing. But I sure don't get any "TJB reunion" vibes from this either. He barely toured for his other three Almo Sounds recordings--the closest to me was House of Blues in Chicago.

Some interesting opinions here, most of which I share. For one, I wouldn't mind (as one who never saw the original TJB), some sort of reunion with surviving members John Pisano, Pat Senatore and (if he could be persuaded to take up the trombone again) Bob Edmondson, along with Hal Blaine on drums, who technically was in the group during its "ghost" years, on a show like Letterman. But I also have my doubts about it. Everyone knows the group as consisting of Herb Alpert, Tonni Kalash, Bob Edmondson, John Pisano, Lou Pagani, Pat Senatore, and Nick Ceroli, and I assume that even Mr. Alpert feels that it would be wrong to put together a "TJB" reunion with half of these gentlemen deceased. As for reissues, I agree that they should be out there for old and new fans. I was in the music store recently at the mall, and in addition to the CD reissues of every album they've ever released, plus the ANTHOLOGIES, I stumbled upon a miniature suitcase packaging that housed singles put out by the Beatles. There are fans of all ages who like them, and all of their music is still available to enjoy. I think Herb Alpert deserves the same treatment.

alpertfan...watching and waiting, online:cool:

Actually, I think the remaining guys should get together...for a wide ranging interview. Which could then be reproduced in the book of the box set.

Herb on Letterman? I'd sooner think he'd be better on Larry King, and hopefully for the full hour. I'd think that an hour with Herb and Lani would be a treasure. How about it, Herb and Larry?

Dan

For me, I'm old fashioned in that I would like all of the original TJB and solo albums reissued on a hybrid SACD. The TJB discs should also have all of their original album art intact and have ochre labels with the original A&M logos as well as session info, song concept info and anything else pertinent to the release of each album. Perhaps some photos of the recording sessions if there were any and exactly who played what on each track. I don't care if the discs are priced a bit higher than typical midline releases, I want the whole enhilada! The extra entertainment, info and attention to detail is worth a few more bucks to me. Done complete and done right I say. Just let Cornerites know a little in advance of the release, so we can sell our old 80's cds on eBay with the "MEGA RARE" nomenclature attached. That way, we can make enough money to spend like a drunken sailor on the reissues and probably still make a profit!! (LOL). Seriously though, as far as rarities go, I'd like these all on separate discs as a collection. All of the mono and single versions that differ from the stereo album versions esp. "Beat Of The Brass" tracks, non album B sides, unreleased tracks, alternate versions etc. Last but not least, a DVD set of all of the TV specials, the entire live performance that "Mame" was taken from on the BOTB special, and other live performances. I know this is a lot to hope for, but as was said earlier, this is probably the last time we'll see any new TJB releases in the foreseeable future. Why not cover it all. Also, Herb is not getting any younger, and I'm sure he'd want to have the last word and creative hand in any representation of his work. If he doesn't do it while he's alive, it might fall into the hands of a company that would cheapen his catalog. I think it's important if we want quality, to not worry about what the reissues will cost. A project like I'm describing would not be marketed as a "bargain package", but rather as a collective masterpiece that will enrich the music collection of all of us who have been mesmerized by Herb and his various incarnations over the years. So what if we have to dig a little deeper into our pockets for this kind of quality. We've all been yamoring for the better part of a decade about how we long for all these things. If Mr. Alpert takes the time and effort necessary to do this project the way I've described, than I for one will spend the bucks without hesitation.
I can't wait to see what Herb's cooking up.....

David,
already feeding the piggy bank in anticipation.........

Getting advanced information then selling our ultra-rare old TJB stuff on ebay for mega bucks... wow, insider trading Tijuana style. I love it!

Mike said:
Getting advanced information then selling our ultra-rare old TJB stuff on ebay for mega bucks... wow, insider trading Tijuana style. I love it!

Heh...maybe we can all bunk with Martha Stewart, eh? :D

Dan - My whole point was, if Herb was on Letterman he would be able to PLAY. I agree an hour-long Larry King would be great too, but we would not hear any horn.

Reminds me of the 80's VH1 interview where the emcee keeps asking Herb if he's gonna play a song and Herb says "No, and quit asking me". At the end the emcee is covered in shaving cream and Herb is standing in front of menacingly holding a huge razor......

David.
getting ready to head to a work meeting........

I am a bit confused?..Are we actually saying that Mr. Alpert will be putting some new stuff out??,,,,GOD I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!....Herb, You are the BEST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom