• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Some "New" Carpenters-related products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share about some 'new' stuff I came across...

1. Carpenters - Behind the Music DVD and Book - this reached me sometime in Dec 2007, via HMV Japan. The DVD is a documentary, not fantastically done (seemed a bit hastily put together actually). The Book is just another write up on their lives, nothing really new.

2. Carpenters - Tranmissions CD and book - this is a new release, and should be reaching me shortly. Also via HMV Japan

3. Carpenters Forever - this is a nicely done dance remix of their hits, as performed by Jenny Sinclair. Double disc, songs arranged for the dance floor as a couple of long medleys. Includes one non-dance track, Rainbow Connection. Jenny sounds very much like Karen and is supposed to be one of the top Carpenters Tribute performers in the US.

That's it - I will try to get photos if anyone is interested, but you can actually see these album covers on the HMV Japan website.

Calvin

I don't love "Behind the Music". So I shouldn't have bought it, paying shipping cost from England.

I found "Transmissions" page at British site for the first, then I knew it was to be released in the U.K. and the U.S.
Is it from "Live in Japan"? Where were Additional Enhanced Bonus Material recorded?

I don't like British site has Jenny's as Carpenters.

Not new, some DVD's related to Karen or Richard were released other than
Yesterday Once More/Gold
Interpretations
Live at Budokan
Close To You - Remembering the Carpenters
Petula Clark - A Sign of the Times ([2001/]2002)
Travelling Sunshine Show
This Is Your Life: The Ultimate Collection, Volume 1 (2005)
51525QQYRXL._AA240_.jpg
51wfmD3JAqL._AA240_.jpg
51TWQZ97QKL._AA240_.jpg

This Is Your Life 70's Music Icons - Richard & Karen Carpenter and Shirley Jones
Bob Hope's Comedy Collection 1972
Les Paul - Chasing Sound (2007)

I watched DVD "Dionne Warwick - Live" European release. Richard appeared for a second.
Does "Dionne Warwick - Live (2007)" American release have Richard's part?

51yse67JIuL._SS500_.jpg
51SXC8DJBML._SS500_.jpg

51gVvVPKiUL._SS500_.jpg

51godo%2BAvML._SS500_.jpg

Sakura

Thank You Calvin and Sakura!!!
I just ordered "Transmissions" from Amazon, worked out to be about $25.92 total. Here is some more info I found on the web about this release, it appears this CD which contains audio and 3 videos are from Carpenters Live Performance in Japan from 1972. I am assuming this will be a different verison than the already Carpenters Live in Japan 2 CD set from 1974 that has been out in the market for awhile. So I am really excited about getting this new release of Transmissions. Will CDRom Video play on my DVD player or only PC? anyone know?

Here is more info:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=427896
CARPENTERS Transmissions (2007 UK 15-track enhanced CD album - Capturing the Carpenters at their smooth melodic best, this haunting audiovisual homage to one of the greatest musical duos in history freezes a perfect moment in time. Karen & Richard take to the stage in Japan 1972, the year 'A Song For You' put the siblings on top of the world plus CD-Rom Video live performances of 'Close To You', 'Jambalaya' & 'Yesterday Once More', presented in a hard-back book-style picture sleeve complete with picture book containing an in-depth biography of their career).
Usually despatched within 72-96 hours

1. Opening Medley
2. Top Of The World
3. Help
4. Mr Guder
5. Close To You
6. Jambalaya
7. Yesterday Once More
8. Oldies Medley
9. Sing
10. Sometimes
11. We've Only Just Begun
12. For All We Know

Enhanced Bonus Track:
13. Close To You
14. Jambalaya
15. Yesterday Once More

and this from another site:
http://www.bigozine2.com/thisweek/collecting.html
RARE CARPENTERS 1972 CONCERT TO BE RELEASED

The Carpenters' 'Transmissions' (Enhanced CD) is to be released Feb 11 in what appears to be a grey product. This recording covers the Carpenters first visit to Japan in 1972 which was also recorded for a TV special. It has never been released. A previous live in Japan concert was released but that was the 1974 show. According to the press release, this show contains some classic tracks including; Top of the World, Jambalaya, Yesterday Once More, Close to You plus bonus video tracks." The package comes with a 72-page hardcover book with rare photos. Price is just £9.99.
Carpenters-Transmissions-427896.jpg

Going by that logo, and the very strange title, I would say that looks like an "unauthorized" release. Looks like a very nice package though.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here - and this may turn out to be not only semi-legit, but valuable for fans as well - but I've got a problem with some of the facts presented here.

There's a lot of emphasis on the 1972 angle - and that's fine, but taking a look at the track list, I find that it mirrors pretty well the set list from the 1974 concerts (both LIVE IN JAPAN and my own VALLEY FORGE MUSIC FAIR concert). Flip-flopping "Help" and "Top Of The World", from there through "Sing", it's the exact set list of my VALLEY FORGE MUSIC FAIR concert from 1974.

The clue here is "Jambalaya", "The Oldies Medley", and "Sing". All of those are from the 1973 album NOW AND THEN.

The 1972 concert I have a recording of from Philadelphia's ACADEMY OF MUSIC included this set list

Close To You
Help!
Love Is Surrender
Ticket To Ride
For All We Know
Sacre Bleau (Doug Strawn lead)
Mr. Guder
Close To You
Reason To Believe
Rainy Days And Mondays
Cinderella Rockefeller (Doug & Karen)
Superstar
Flat Baroque
Any Day Now
Baby, It's You
Knowing When To Leave
Make It Easy On Yourself
Always Something There To Remind Me
Sometimes
Hurting Each Other
We've Only Just Begun

So, I would think that any 1972 concert would include songs like these rather than the yet-to-be-released NOW AND THEN stuff.

I'll be anxious to hear reports of how this disc turns out for those who've ordered it. Please let us know.

Harry

Oh yeah. Mike's post made me remember that I wanted to comment on the cover picture. Does anyone think that Richard would have allowed THAT picture on ANY cover?

And the logo variation is definitely a clue that this is grey-market stuff.

Harry

Harry, right. The logo is off and that photo is from the Live at London or Palladium and that was not from 1972. In any case, if it is indeed live material never before released from 1972 than I got to hear it and have this for my collection especially if there is video too I have not seen.

We all know about-DVD Carpenters A Video Biography which turned out to have a gem never before released live version DVD of single track-I Need to be in Love and rare footage of Richard's car collection.

I'm curious about the booklet that comes with this new release. Still I can't wait to see what this is all about. strange title too. Almost reminds me of Passage-Calling Occupants-Transmissions. LOL

Mike Blakesley said:
Maybe "Transmissions" means that it's mastered from a bad radio broadcast! :wink:

Ha, well that one website above did say this 72 concert was broadcasted on TV at one point, so could this audio/video be lifted from that tv broadcast?

Harry, I did the same comparo to my Live in Japan 2 CD set for track listings.

I am wondering what could fill approx 72 pages in this hardbook included? It also is marked "limited edition" like limited to what? quantity produced or until it gets pulled from the market? lol

Harry, another interesting tidbit, I pulled out the booklet for The Essential Collection page 29 for the track Jambalaya. Richard says that the rhythm track to our version was recorded in 1972 and put aside. We completed the track in early 1973.

Could this new release be mixing a combo from both concerts? Or since they already had the rhythm track down on 72, they just performed it live in 1972? Interesting stuff.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Harry, another interesting tidbit, I pulled out the booklet for The Essential Collection page 29 for the track Jambalaya. Richard says that the rhythm track to our version was recorded in 1972 and put aside. We completed the track in early 1973.

Could this new release be mixing a combo from both concerts? Or since they already had the rhythm track down on 72, they just performed it live in 1972? Interesting stuff.

I always think that Karen played the drums on Jambalaya if they recorded the rhythm track later.

I found "Transmissions" at Amazon.UK on January 10th or 11th. They didn't have a picture nor track list. A few days later I saw the cover picture and the same list now on the Amazon site at another British site. And I thought the set is unauthorized like DVD and book "Behind the Music". Quality of Carpenters videos on both DVD "Behind the Music" and "Rock Legend" are bad.

Some lucky fans enjoyed "It's Going To Take Some Time", "A Song For You" or Morton Potato Chips song sung in live.

As some of us heard Karen talk about the first visit to Japan, Karen and Richard came to Japan in 1970. Richard also talked about the first visit in Sayounara Carpenters. My father remembers he watched them on TV in 1970.

Here is Live in Japan 1972 set list from Special Issue of Carpenters Fan Club Japan magazine. (There was the same list in Japanese music magazine 1972).

01: Help ヘルプ
02: Love Is Surrender ラブ・イズ・サレンダー
03: Ticket To Ride 涙の乗車券
04: For All We Know 二人の誓い
05: And When He Smiles アンド・ホエン・ヒー・スマイルス
06: Sacre Bleu サクレ・ブリュー
07: Mr. Guder ミスター・グーダー
08: Close To You 遙かなる影
09: Reason To Believe リーズン・トゥ・ビリーブ
10: Cinderella Rockfeller シンデレラ・ロッカフェラー
11: We've Only Just Begun 愛のプレリュード
12: Bacharach/David Medley バカラック・メドレー
a)Any Day Now エニイ・デイ・ナウ
b)Baby It's You ベイビー・イッツ・ユー
c)Knowing When To Leave 去りし時を知って
d)Make It Easy On Yourself 涙でさようなら
e)(There's ) Always Something There To Remind Me 愛の想い出
f)I'll Never Fall In Love Again 恋よさようなら
g)Walk On By ウォーク・オン・バイ
h)Do You Know The Way To San Jose サン・ホセへの道
13: Hurting Each Other ハーティング・イーチ・アザー
14: Sometimes サムタイムズ
15: Superstar スーパースター

The first concert in Japan in 1972 aired in color.

The orchestra was to tour with Carpenters, but the orchestra performed only at the first concert. I have read that the trumpet player had a mistake. Was it true?
What did Mr. Pooler do after the first concert?

I read Seiji Ozawa's book and knew even Boston Symphony Orchestra couldn't create the same sound as in the U.S. when they performed in Japan. The humidity and the hall is different in Japan. They managed to sound like they hoped in a week or so.

Hope Richard could get the orchestra sound like he wished in '90s tour. And Burt Bacharach this time. February and March concerts in Japan may be good, regarding the moisture.

Sakura

Sakura, thank you for sharing the details on 72 concert. :) I am excited to get this new release, even if it's a unauthorized release, it has been so long since anything has been released. Even if the audio/video turns out to be less than stellar, if the book proves to be cool it will be worth it for me since the only other book I have on Carpenters is the Ray Coleman biography. I am hoping for nice pics in the book, I wonder who wrote book to be included?

Was just notified that my copy of "Transmissions" has shipped, estimated arrival by Feb 26 to U.S. :thumbsup:

Hi again,

My Carpenters - Tranmissions CD and book arrived yesterday.

While the workmanship and packaging was rather nice (btw, the entire thing was made in China!), I am sorry to say that the CD tracks were lifted directly from the Live in Budokan 1974 DVD. I knew this was the case when I heard Karen say "Careful!" after singing the first verse and chorus of "Help". If you watch the DVD, you will notice her glancing over her right shoulder while she plays the drums, and saying "careful" to someone on her right, hidden from view.

The book, while detailed with some glossy photos, contained nothing really new - I have read most of the quotations there from other sources.

I have not watched the enhanced part of the CD yet (i.e. the videos) but I have a feeling they are also from the same DVD.

So there you go!

Calvin

Calvin, you keep referring to DVD, was Live in Budakon ever really released in DVD format? I always thought it was only on VHS. Still I'm sure it could be lifted from that as well.

Will have to do a comparo myself when mine arrives, you know how perfect the were when they performed, this duo was so perfect they could perform 2 things identical. The one thing I can't understand is how can they market it as 72 if really it was 74?

Knowing this was a bootleg before I ordered, I'm not shocked by your review and almost expected it. Still, I can't wait to get it. I'm hopelessly devoted to Carpenters. :laugh:

Hi Chris,

Yes, Live in Budokan was released in Laser Disc in the mid-90s (which was the first format I got it on, then my LD player died and couldn't be repaired...Sob!) then a few years later I got it on DVD. On both occasions I had to have it flown in from Japan (manufactured there). The DVD had the same cover, but it was not in the usual sized box that DVDs usually come in - it was in a normal CD jewel case (i.e. the square plastic ones).

The live cuts on the Transmissions disc can't be from a 1972 concert because Yesterday Once More was only released in 1973, and so it could not have come out in a concert a year earlier. Also, I don't think Karen would call out the "Careful!" warning at exactly the same spot in 2 separate concerts - I mean, I know they were precise and meticulous, that to do so would be bordering on the miraculous hehehe.

Like you, I am hopelessly devoted to them too, so this is a welcome addition to my collection in spite of it being 'problematic'...when will we ever learn :wink:

You can get official DVD "Live at Budokan" and CD "Live in Japan" at amazon.co.jp
You can copy ASIN No. and paste it.

21SC816Q5DL._AA130_.jpg

ASIN No of DVD
B00005R0RR

41H8NG7EQ4L._AA240_.jpg

ASIN No. of CD
B000006XGW

You don't get new good photos with "Transmission". Almost all the photos have been seen. And the quality is bad. You can purchase great quality photos at British site, I think.
I had read the book before I received "Transmission". It was reused.

I think you should get "Rhythm & Drums Magazine". Feb. issue has Karen on cover. March issue has a smaller photo of Karen on cover and many new photos to me. (6 new photos of Richard and Karen at drums, one more Karen (probably all shot in September 1971) and Richard's new photo. Some are familiar photos taken by Chris Walter.
March issue has lots of photos of Karen's drums, and Karen's trunks for drums, Richard's photos, and CPAC photos. You can see photos of Karen's special drum for Karen's drum medley(? the color looks different than live medley) and Jerry Beans Drums, too. They even put some drum sheet music. The sheet music parts were more than I have expected.
Feb. issue also has Karen's and Richard's photos which include a couple new photos of Karen, and Richard at warehouse. 2 pages for Silver Sparkle. One page for trunks and special drum for Karen and Richard's photo having a drum (newly changed?. You may have seen young Kristi played the drums on American TV )
Feb issue has photos of 3 sets of Karen's drums. Jerry Beans Drums photo looked strange in order(?) March issue has both strange photos and right position photos.
Almost all the photos are Karen at drums.
Richard let the drums set up in his warehouse. Ludwig Silver Sparkle was in front of huge Christmas Portrait panel. So the painter looks like sitting on Karen's concert toms.

"Rhythm & Drums Magazine March 2008" 2008/2/13 ASIN No.
B00139PQ9M

"Rhythm & Drums Magazine February 2008" 2008/1/12 ASIN No.
B0011ETPAU

51aSiIo7qJL._AA240_.jpg
516vVyb351L._SS500_.jpg

Sakura

P.S. Yesterday I watched Olivia on two Australian TV programs at their sites. Olivia will come to Asia again. Great Wall Walk in China for cancer cnetre. Olivia must have asked Karen joined with her if Karen was here with us. (One of the TV sites had interview clips of some Carpenters or A&M related people.)

Be careful with any LIVE AT BUDOKAN DVD's from Japan. They're all region coded and won't work in most US DVD players unless you have a hacked machine that will let you play DVDs from other regions.

I personally made my own DVD of LIVE AT BUDOKAN from my LaserDisc. That format was never region-coded nor in any way copy-protected making them easy to transfer.

Harry

Calvin,

So how is the sound quality of the live tracks? It would be interesting if someone here had the offical DVD, Laserdisc or VHS from Japan and compared the sound quality to the Transmissions CD.

Scott B

Calvin R Murty said:
Hi again,

My Carpenters - Tranmissions CD and book arrived yesterday.

While the workmanship and packaging was rather nice (btw, the entire thing was made in China!), I am sorry to say that the CD tracks were lifted directly from the Live in Budokan 1974 DVD. I knew this was the case when I heard Karen say "Careful!" after singing the first verse and chorus of "Help". If you watch the DVD, you will notice her glancing over her right shoulder while she plays the drums, and saying "careful" to someone on her right, hidden from view.

The book, while detailed with some glossy photos, contained nothing really new - I have read most of the quotations there from other sources.

I have not watched the enhanced part of the CD yet (i.e. the videos) but I have a feeling they are also from the same DVD.

So there you go!

Calvin

scottb said:
Calvin,

So how is the sound quality of the live tracks? It would be interesting if someone here had the offical DVD, Laserdisc or VHS from Japan and compared the sound quality to the Transmissions CD.
Scott B

Yeah I'm curious about this too. Calvin are you comparing the DVD audio of the concert to the Transmissions audio CD? I wonder too how they compare.

I have a dub on DVD of the Live at Budakon concert from 74, I also dubbed the DVD and created a audio CDR so I have the entire concert on audio disc, of course what I have was a dub from a digital format and then I copied that onto a CDR. So when I get Transmissions I plan to compare the 2 and see what if any differences I hear. I am hoping the audio CD of Transmissions will be slightly better quality but seeing it's a bootleg all together I'm not betting on it. Well see soon.

I made wav file of "Sing" and files of another song.
The audio file "Sing" was compiled from official DVD "Live at Budokan", unauthorized CD "Transmission" and official CD "Live in Japan", with same condition when I recorded them to my computer. I dubbed a part of "koe wo awase" around at 1 minute and a half from the start.
I just sent the information to members who are interested in sound, I guess. If you think I know your email address and you are interested in quality of sound, please check it out when you have time.

"Live at Budokan"and CD "Live in Japan" are the same tour but were recorded in different venues with different Choir, Hibari and Kyoto for "Sing".

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom