Someday-The 1980 Music Music Music Recording Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I understand that Richard says Karen was particularly happy to be re-recording at least a portion of Someday for the MMM TV show. Do you think Karen re-recorded this entire song? It seems to me if they were already in the studio to put down this track that they would have just re-recorded the entire verses and then take what they needed for the medley on the tv show due to time contraints.

I so much prefer the 80 version of Someday to the rough one on Ticket to Ride LP. Karen's vocals are so smooth and well polished that a complete version of Someday from 1980 would have been really something special for them to have re-recorded at least while they were in the studio.

Of course we know now since As Time Goes By was released that Richard actually recorded John Davidson's part to "Without a Song" THEN Richard again recordes John Davidson's part to the song "You're Just in Love" Being hidden from us until it's release on As Time Goes By. Just seems they spent more time in the studio than I originally thought during the recordings of these MMM sessions and I have always wondered if Karen re-recorded her entire verses on the track Someday and Richard has not released it.

I'd probably conclude that she did not re-do the entire song.

My reasoning is that, in my mind, they were there (in the recording stidio) to do a job. The job was to get their parts for the TV special down on tape so that it could look as if they were singing on stage, yet sound as good as they did in the studio.

Part of the "job" was to lay down the vocals for the medley. The medley was arranged to have a shortened version of "Someday" so that's what was recorded. It was probably during that session that Karen might have made an offhand remark about how good the song "Someday" was and that at some point in the future she would like to re-record the track the way they did with "Ticket To Ride".

"Someday" is a beautiful song, and IMHO, one of Richard Carpenter's best compositions. Karen probably thought her brother did a good job with that song too, and compared with some of the songs they were recording in the latter stages of the decade, "Someday" was probably a better song than all of them.

But I suspect that it was all just an offhand remark - "This is such a great song - we ought to re-do the whole thing, Rich." Richard, being the proud composer, would have certainly remembered that compliment from his sister and partner.

Harry

She had some objection to the way she sounded at 19 years of age. I've personally always liked her younger "less mature" sound.

Harry

The "snippet" of Someday K&R re-recorded is just that, a"snippet." Even Mr. C himself is disappointed that they didn't revisit the entire song.

I agree with Harry. I'm pretty certain that the song was not re-recorded in its entirety...

I felt the "spontaniety" of the original makes the song "belong" where it is... I'm sure "wanting to do it again", might'a meant "just another take"... Must not have also had the right feel, either, then if any "new version in 1980" just got relegated to Medley", either...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom