• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Something's Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I titled this topic Something's Missing because I wanted to talk about Karen's solo album.

These tracks have been unreleased

Something's Missing
Keep My Love Light Burning
Midnight
Jimmy Mack
I Do It For Love
Truly You
It's Really You
Don't Try To Win Me Back
Love Making Love To You

What is the possibilty of these tracks eventually being released on a second Karen Carpenter album :?:

I know that these tracks are unfinished but couldn't Richard finish them like with others that he did :?:

I want to thank David Grant for the information off his website :!:
I just love that site :!: :D

First of all, let me just say that David Grant's site is an AMAZING resource and I hope he knows how much we all appreciate his work. It is so well done. David was one of the first Carpenters fans I met on the Internet way back in 1994 or 1995, I believe. Super nice fellow and very talented, as evident in the website.

Richard has mentioned (to Yuko/a Ogura) that he would like to maybe finish the song "Something's Missing" but aside from that, I doubt we will see these on an official release. I do wish the 1996 release had included a few other songs as "bonus" tracks -- in addition to "Last One Singin' the Blues" -- In my opinion, "Love Making Love To You" is the best track from the solo sessions, period! And it's COMPLETE! Several of the other songs are complete as well -- I know "Don't Try To Win Me Back" has backing vocals complete.

Who knows? "Tomorrow may be even brighter than today!"

Randy

I managed to get all these along time ago. After playing them so much these past few years, I think there all very workable for Richard to perform his magic touch & completely finish them. They all have total leads & except for a few drop out on a word or 2 there all in great shape & sound great to me.

However I don't think Richard will release all of them, I agree that he may release one or two but will never see him release them all. Remember he never like them to begin with. He never liked her solo album song picks so he for sure didn't like the unfinished ones.

The more important question is "who" leaked these to the internet years ago? Who had these (and in such great shape) & decided to give them to the fans? It had to be someone close to either Phil Ramone or part of the team that recorded with Karen. Anyone care to guess? Wonder if Richard even knows that most of the diehard Carpenters fans have actually already heard these unreleased solo session tracks. I can't imagine not having them now, there great to hear & this was actually Karen chance to make it Solo, this was her big break, I still hold firm to the belief that Karen would have eventually gone solo. It's hard to judge her solo performace from just 1 solo album that was released to the public way too late & way passed it's timeframe for the public to embrace. The music was too outdated by then, the music industry had changed too much. So critics judged her un-fairly.

<blushing> Gosh, thanks! </blushing>

I'm trying to get some updates done for the website... there are always new compilations to be added and little changes to make here and there. That SWEET MEMORY 6-CD set is taking quite a while to plow through.

Thanks for the kind words!

David

Certainly feel Richard will include completed Something Missing on a future Rarities / Box Set special release for the future :)

However if the rest of the known tracks plus other outtakes / alternates in Ramone's archive are to be completed , then there has to be a major change in attitudes and record company music policies from Universal or future owner to have another Karen Carpenter album issued and sadly at present -unlikely to happen :confused:

Neither Polygram or Universal really marketed Karen Carpenter except in Japan -as usual-where more interest remains.

As to the source of these outtakes -suspect someone working within A&M vaults copied the tapes alongside some Carpenters rarities and these were bootlegged to many fans :o

Neither Richard or Ramone would leak half completed , non-mixed / non -mastered versions to anyone -both like production values -"Blues" bonus track on KC was intended to show Karen working with her band in the studio as an extra.

Peter

From the time that I first stumbled upon the "unreleased solo tracks" I have been mesmorized by the interpretation of SOMETHING'S MISSING. Karen's reading is both intimate and at the same time heart-wrenching. The way she could wrap her vocals around a song featuring a "longing-theme" is what I would call self-expressive music at its best!

Jeff

I have to agree Jeff Somethings
Missing was a song built for
Karen. I know I have posted this
before but the song has such an
intimate jazz style that showcases
her voice in such a unique way.
I really hope it finds its way
to a release in the future. The
copy I was lucky enough to get
has very bad clarity. So hearing
it on disc would really be cool.

Jim

Hey Andrew,

Where did you find such a pristine sounding SOMETHING'S MISSING? Mine is somewhat tired sounding and not at all CD quality. Sure wish that the completed tracks along with a few others would see the light of day.

Jeff

Okay got to Yahoo! auctions and type in Carpenters.

That is where you can find the rarities and KC Solo CD and other rare Carpenters stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom