• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

SONG BY SONG: "KAREN CARPENTER" (SP-4804/CD-0588)

WHICH SONG FROM THIS ALBUM IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) Lovelines 5:06 (Temperton)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 2.) All Because Of You 3:31 (Javors)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 3.) If I Had You 3:31 (Dorff/Harju/Herbstritt)

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • 4.) Making Love In The Afternoon 3:54 (Cetera)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5.) If We Try 3:47 (Temperton)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 6.) Remember When Lovin' Took All Night 3:50 (Farrar/Leikin)

• 7.) Still In Love With You 3:15 (James)

• 8.) My Body Keeps Changing My Mind 3:46 (Pearl)

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • 9.) Make Believe It's Your First Time 3:12 (Morrison/Wilson)

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 10.) Guess I Just Lost My Head 3:36 (Mounsey)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 11.) Still Crazy After All These Years 4:17 (Simon)

• 12.) Last One Singin' The Blues 3:24 (McCann)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As noted by others, this is a challenging exercise. So many dynamite songs on this album. But I will throw my weight behind "All Because of You." As I may have stated before, this song is unique. However one characterizes this song, it is unlike anything ever recorded by the C's. It's a stripped-down acoustic gem that simmers along until the long-held high note at the end.

As noted by others, this is a challenging exercise. So many dynamite songs on this album. But I will throw my weight behind "All Because of You." As I may have stated before, this song is unique. However one characterizes this song, it is unlike anything ever recorded by the C's. It's a stripped-down acoustic gem that simmers along until the long-held high note at the end.

Karen was always able to surprise and delight us by throwing in that odd note wether it was low on " The End Of The World" or soaringly high on "Two Sides"........she just didn't care.......she truly was a vocal acrobat!

I believe I’ve noted this before on another thread, but as a big a superfan as I consider myself, I agree with RC and the powers-that-be at A&M, and honestly don’t believe there was a hit song on this record in 1980 (KC’s wonderful performances didn’t have a chance up against “Rock With You,” “Call Me,” “Another Brick In The Wall,” and “Magic,” the top hits of that year. Hell, not even a chance against some of the lesser hits of that year, including “On The Radio,” “Against The Wind,” “The Rose,” and the super-illegal, “she’s just 16 years-old,” creep-fest, “Into The Night.” How was that a hit song? Ugh.). Great KC vocals, great PR production, etc., but not a hit in the bunch. That said, I thoroughly enjoy “Lovelines,” even though (or maybe because?) it sounds like the them to The Love Boat.

Interesting topic!

It's easier for me to pick the two worst (Russell Javors tunes - both of them). The very best? I'm a sucker for "Lovelines" (love hearing Heatwave vocal arrangements on Karen) and "Make Believe..." Bob James arrangement of the latter is far superior to Richard's uninspired Muzak take. I first heard Richard's well before we heard Karen's and I loathed it then. James makes the tune listenable and more intimate. Karen sounds better on it too. She slips into stock "Karen moves" on Carpenters' version. Because she's more "into it," I can be too. I'm afraid I can't pick between them, though. "If I Had You" would join this club but I'm more an R&B/Jazz guy. I also much prefer Richard's remix on "Lovelines" and the thread only speaks to Karen's record as presented.

Ed

Yeah, the solo 'Make Believe It's Your First Time' is magical, and would have made a great, intimate single. Karen's final note is held for a LONG time, and it's so amazing and so perfect and with so much feeling. The Carpenters version is too schmaltzy....and the Not O.K. Chorale is very unwelcome.

Ooooo here we go....earlier somewhere around here it was Herb vs K solo...now mention of the despicable Not So Ok Chorale and the dreadful backup of the VOTH lead single. Yep RC was clearly on the cusp of renewed creativity. Nearly all non- C's are inexcusable. Hell had I known Rich was scraping I woulda phoned in a little ooo n ahh myself. I can manage a bit of sha la la not to mention The Jimmy Not So Joyous Children's Choir! On that note I'm gonna go snatch a wig! I'm in a mood!

Jeff

"If We Try" is the best solo track-and the closest to a traditional Carpenters track.

"Something's Missing" is the best solo outtake-and superior to almost everything on the album.

"Lovelines" and "If I Had You"-Richard's remixes make these two cuts passable,and slightly interesting.The original mixes are terrible.

"Make Believe It's Your First Time"-the spare,intimate arrangement on the solo album is nice,but Karen's vocal on the VOTH version is better.And with Karen,it's all about the vocals.Richard knew how to bring out the richness in her voice.

Everything else on the album-pass.

"If We Try" is the best solo track-and the closest to a traditional Carpenters track.

I agree it's a great solo track, it's Karen's material....are you saying it's the best because it's the closest to a traditional Carpenters track? If so, what does it have to do with being the closest to a traditional Carpenters track? I don't know why her album still gets compared to Carpenters material, it leaves me baffled. I thought it was Karen's intention to not record traditional Carpenters work, thus the reason why it's so different and outside the box.

Well, we all have our opinions. I do agree that the original mix of 'Lovelines' buries Karen's vocals. They should have fixed that before finally releasing the solo album in full.

But we also need to keep in mind that Karen was looking to do something away from the 'traditional Carpenters track'. That's why it's indeed different....and kicks serious ass.

I actually think "Make Believe..." is the closest to a Carpenters track. The fact that nothing else is like a Carpenters track is what makes the album appealing. We've already heard her do that stuff. This album is different in every conceivable way. I agree totally about "Lovelines." I prefer Louis' bass playing to Joe Osborn's. It's the background vocals and the way the lead is mixed that I much prefer about Richard's. If the two approaches could be "frankenstein'd," I'd be totally happy.

Ed

So, amidst songs like (From Billboard's Hot 100 1980):
1/05/1980 Please Don't Go,KC&Sunshine Band
4/19/1980 Call Me, Blondie
6/07/1980 Funkytown, Lipps
8/30/1980 Sailing, Christopher Cross
9/06/1980 Upside Down,Diana Ross

--it is inconceivable (to me) that something (everything!) off of Karen's album did not surpass the above list.
Well, (IMHO),almost every song on Karen Carpenter's solo album is much better than any of the above works.
Her material is Vocally superior, Instrumentally superior, catchier,melodic, and more appealing than any song in the above list.
If those mediocre songs above were able to break the Hot 100, Karen Carpenter's songs should certainlyhave had a chance.
How can anyone deny that? Look at those horrible songs in that list.
The Karen Carpenter material, as I have noted and detailed previously (comparing to other Billboard music of 1980)
was far superior than much music of that year.

"Something's Missing" is the best solo outtake-and superior to almost everything on the album.

"Lovelines" and "If I Had You"-Richard's remixes make these two cuts passable,and slightly interesting.The original mixes are terrible.

"Make Believe It's Your First Time"-the spare,intimate arrangement on the solo album is nice,but Karen's vocal on the VOTH version is better.And with Karen,it's all about the vocals.Richard knew how to bring out the richness in her voice.

Everything else on the album-pass.
This just proves how K&R appeal to people with many different tastes! :)

Gary, that is cool to re-live for a moment what the top songs were back in 1980. However I actually like some of those, Call Me, Sailing and Please Don't Go. :laugh:

But I do agree, her solo album sure had enough cuts that would have sounded just as good as these on the radio.

Strangely enough, I selected that above small list of 1980 hits quite arbitrarily. But, after realizing I knew each song, I also realized that
I do not much care for any of them. Perhaps my wording of "mediocre" in reference to them, is unfair. Certainly, it goes without
saying that I am biased toward any/all of Karen's songs.
But, I do stand by my opinion that Karen's solo album had many, many stronger songs than that particular list.

So, amidst songs like (From Billboard's Hot 100 1980):
1/05/1980 Please Don't Go,KC&Sunshine Band
4/19/1980 Call Me, Blondie
6/07/1980 Funkytown, Lipps
8/30/1980 Sailing, Christopher Cross
9/06/1980 Upside Down,Diana Ross

--it is inconceivable (to me) that something (everything!) off of Karen's album did not surpass the above list.
Well, (IMHO),almost every song on Karen Carpenter's solo album is much better than any of the above works.
Her material is Vocally superior, Instrumentally superior, catchier,melodic, and more appealing than any song in the above list.
If those mediocre songs above were able to break the Hot 100, Karen Carpenter's songs should certainlyhave had a chance.
How can anyone deny that? Look at those horrible songs in that list.
The Karen Carpenter material, as I have noted and detailed previously (comparing to other Billboard music of 1980)
was far superior than much music of that year.

Gotta be honest. Nothing on Karen's solo album is a number 1 pop record (all of the above tunes were.) There are some good tunes there, to be sure, but no number 1 pop records. I also disagree strongly with these songs being "horrible." In my humble opinion, none of them are horrible. "Sailing" and "Upside Down" are absolutely classic and "Call Me" is one heck of a tune. "Funkytown" isn't amazing but I see why it hit. "Please Don't Go" is a surprisingly strong tune from KC.

Ed

Well, Ed, thanks for calling me out on that, I regret the term "horrible" when describing those songs.
"Horrible" is a bit harsh. Although, I have no idea how I would characterize them.
Needless, my own opinion is that I do not care for any of those songs. Of course, most of the world disagrees with my opinion.
And, that's fine with me.
I diverge with you in that I adamantly believe that Karen could have pulled some hits off of her album.
I would never have placed the above tunes, when I heard them back in the day, as Number Ones.
I did not even know that they charted that high, until I started doing research regarding the 1980 Billboard Hits --in order
to get a feel for what her competition was at that time.
Let it be said that I frequently am astounded by songs that do become top hits, and just as astounded by the fact that "Only Yesterday"
did not reach Number One. Or, that, the Passage singles did so poorly.
My point being: Who knows what song will become a top hit? Who can gauge that and the public's taste in music?

So, folks, here I am just back from listening to the above 1980 hits: Please Don't Go, Funkytown, Call Me, Sailing and Upside Down.
I hadn't actually listened to them since they were on the charts in 1980. Of course, I was familiar with them.
But, in order to be as accurate in my assessment as possible, I really needed to listen to them today. So, I did.
And, my assessment remains the same.
Whether I am simply biased toward Karen's songs, or not, my position remains that her solo songs are far superior to that
short 1980 list above.
Whether it be vocals, melody, harmony, lyrics, instrumentation--you name it--- her songs are superior. Especially vocally.
Yes, I realize those above songs are bona fide hits: no matter to me, I still think they stink. (Just my opinion!).
I know many folks enjoy those tunes, that's great, but I will never give them another spin.
They do nothing for me.
But, obviously they hit a nerve with many people. So be it.
Everyone is entitled to their musical opinion.
Be that as it may, Karen's released (and unreleased) solo material, is , in its own way, great.

'Call Me' and 'Upside Down' were pretty damned good tunes then and now, but the others don't hold up quite as well. But they're still decent. Of course, I like the solo album tracks better, too. :)

I agree it's a great solo track, it's Karen's material....are you saying it's the best because it's the closest to a traditional Carpenters track? If so, what does it have to do with being the closest to a traditional Carpenters track? I don't know why her album still gets compared to Carpenters material, it leaves me baffled. I thought it was Karen's intention to not record traditional Carpenters work, thus the reason why it's so different and outside the box.
"If We Try"-the rhythm and vocal arrangement ,trumpets/sax & keyboards(electric piano) make this selection the closest to a Carpenters track. Karen is singing in her old-school voice,and in the right key.Her rich lower register is prominently featured.

It's definitely a good track-would've fit right in on A Kind Of Hush.

"If We Try"-the rhythm and vocal arrangement ,trumpets/sax & keyboards(electric piano) make this selection the closest to a Carpenters track. Karen is singing in her old-school voice,and in the right key.Her rich lower register is prominently featured.

It's definitely a good track-would've fit right in on A Kind Of Hush.

I agree that 'If We Try' has Karen in her old-school lower register, but the arrangement and production don't sound like any tracks she recorded with Richard. It's a lot more 'alive' than the tracks on A Kind of Hush.

I agree. 'A Kind Of Hush' has some beautiful moments, but, as one reviewer famously called it, it's 'an overdose of pretty'. 'If We Try' has far more energy than anything on 'A Kind Of Hush', and it just grooves more. The jazz musicians supporting Karen make it even more special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom