• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Songs that grew on you

Jarred

That’s a track that didn’t need time to grow on me. I loved it from the first time I heard it. It’s very dramatic and moody, with all the minor chords and the lovely, dark arrangement, not to mention the impressive vocal overdubs. I think the only reason it doesn’t get more coverage on compilations is that it has that extended instrumental which is almost half the length of the entire song. But what a showcase for their musical talents.
This is how you do an extended instrumental, one that adds substance to a track and not just prolong the ending with a cacophony of noise to extend the length. Passage had this issue and its just not their MO.

John Adam

"All Because Of You," from Karen's solo set.
I thought is was the worst song for many years. But I have to say that it has grown on me. I think it might of just been the placement on the album, after a fine song like Lovelines, it kind of spoiled the flow.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
With Carpenters I've found that I tend to like most of the same songs today that I've always liked... and the ones I don't like are the same as they were back in the day. I think my musical tastes must have been maturing by the time I got to liking their music...prior to that, if a song was "slow" I automatically didn't like it. I had a problem with ballads, it seems....until Karen came along and changed that!

GaryAlan

Although, I am not a huge fan of Jambalaya,
I was recently listening to the Now & Then album and it occurred to me that I was enjoying the song quite a bit....
in a strange way, it is a brilliant pop-cover of a country music song. The background harmony is particularly great.
It took guts to record and release this song and it is a fun concert song.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Although, I am not a huge fan of Jambalaya,
I was recently listening to the Now & Then album and it occurred to me that I was enjoying the song quite a bit....
in a strange way, it is a brilliant pop-cover of a country music song. The background harmony is particularly great.
I’m not a fan of the track either but the one thing I’ve always liked is the way they build the harmony sound as the song progresses. In the first chorus, it’s Karen’s lead vocal only; in the second they add a harmony, then from the third chorus there’s a third and fourth to complete the signature overdubbed sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom