• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Songs with Richard's Lead Vocals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

With all this discussion about the "Time" album,
it made me realize how much I would love to hear other unreleased songs with his lead vocals.
Does anyone have any information on these?

Mark

Didn't Richard sing a Christmas song on Solid Gold? I can't remember. Then wasn't there Toyland he also sang solo? I too like his vocals. In fact when I was previewing the DVD Remembering the Carpenters & Richard at piano would start a song & start singing the chorus, it may be realize I miss hearing his vocals as a solo artist.

...who just made home-made oatmeal raisin cookies tonight, online... :love:

Yes, Richard did a solo version of "Home for the Holidays" on Solid Gold in 1984.

It seems like we discussed something similar to this not too long ago -- there was speculation that there might be "demos" for songs like "In Love Alone," "Something In Your Eyes" and other songs on which different artists sang lead.

We know there's a version of "You'll Never Know" with Richard's lead vocal that was considered for inclusion on AS TIME GOES BY, but was left off. From the sound of it, the live version of "Good Vibrations/Comin' Through the Rye" (Live at the Palladium, London) that was considered for AS TIME GOES BY had Richard doing some lead parts (probably the same parts sung by John Denver in the TV special).
David

With all this discussion about the "Time" album,
it made me realize how much I would love to hear other unreleased songs with his lead vocals.
Does anyone have any information on these?

Mark[/quote]

Ah ....now you have opened up one of the most contentious Carpenters / Solo questions ..... :wink:

Richard lead vocals were a staple of Carpenters albums -Studio & Live until 1976 and later only Carpenters Christmas releases included additional Richard leads ...partly due to health reasons , mainly with a change in Carpenters music styles that ideally favoured Karen's voice .... :o

Certainly Richard completed mixing / mastering on his lead vocal version of "You'll Never Know " & Karen / Richard version of "Coming Thru' The Rye / Good Vibrations " (Live London Palladium 1976 ) for inclusion on As Time Goes By album ...these two tracks were cut due to many tracks / royalties issues from Universal / A&M ...these could be issued on any future Carpenters rarities / Box set .... :confused:

However around 2001 / 2002 Richard changed his whole attitude towards his lead vocal tracks ....dismissing his contributions with the assertion -there is only one Carpenters lead vocalist -Karen ... :!:

Having recorded many leads for his long -in -progress Christmas Solo album ....all these are now to be re-recorded by guest lead vocalists ...hence much of the delay over last few years .... :)

There are several completed Richard lead vocals in the vaults , more in his archive ....but unless Richard completely changes his attitude ...these are unlikely to be released on a standard Carpenters / Solo album .... :sad:

Peter

PJ said:
There are several completed Richard lead vocals in the vaults , more in his archive ....but unless Richard completely changes his attitude ...these are unlikely to be released on a standard Carpenters / Solo album .... :sad:

Shucks! :sad: Actually, if I had any complaint about the previously-unreleased archival material that's been released over the last 10-15 years, it's that there's never - unless I'm forgetting a track - been a Richard solo lead vocal included. The Richard solo vocals on the early Carpenters albums, like "I Kept on Loving You" and "Saturday," are faves of mine; I'm not sure I'd like Close to You and Carpenters nearly as much without them there. They may not necessarily be the strongest cuts on those albums, but they're quite possibly the most fun and lighthearted listens on the albums.

Jeff F.

OK first of all I definately favor Karen over Richard as a singer but I did like his contributions on the albums. I remember after buying and listeneing to Offering then getting Close To You, wondering why Richards lead vocals were so dramatically cut. I loved Karens voice but I also enjoyed Richards singing and songs on Offering I have always liked the idea of 2 or more lead singers in a band or duo then you don't hear the same singer on 12 tracks it gives the record a little more variety. Its obvious why Richard diminishes or eliminates his vocals from the records as Karen is the voice that is selling Carpenter records not Richards but I think his vocal contributions add a little variety in Carpenters records and make them interesting, they are not essential, but they do make the albums more enjoyable just as a break from Karens leads at the least. :|

I also think he should release some of the unreleased songs he sings lead on along with any with Karens leads on them as a Carpenters album. Yes Karen is a more visable or noticeable member of the Carpenters but Rich has his place in the duo as a vocalist as well. :D

And I really like him on background vocals as well!
His masculine voice was the perfect counter to Karen's feminine one.

jfiedler17 said:
The Richard solo vocals on the early Carpenters albums, like "I Kept on Loving You" and "Saturday," are faves of mine; I'm not sure I'd like Close to You and Carpenters nearly as much without them there. They may not necessarily be the strongest cuts on those albums, but they're quite possibly the most fun and lighthearted listens on the albums.

That's EXACTLY the way I feel. Those early 'Richard' tracks really gave those early albums a little variety. I wish that he'd given us at least one all the later albums as well.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Harry said:
jfiedler17 said:
The Richard solo vocals on the early Carpenters albums, like "I Kept on Loving You" and "Saturday," are faves of mine; I'm not sure I'd like Close to You and Carpenters nearly as much without them there. They may not necessarily be the strongest cuts on those albums, but they're quite possibly the most fun and lighthearted listens on the albums.

That's EXACTLY the way I feel. Those early 'Richard' tracks really gave those early albums a little variety. I wish that he'd given us at least one all the later albums as well.
It completely agree with both of you, and additionally I feel that Richard's voice is a necessary balance to the Carpenters' sound. Without him it would be like a string section with only 1/2 of the violas and no cellos. It just isn't quite the same. -Chris (...who's defending Richard's right to play first fiddle once in a while...)

This thread reminds me of ABBA, whose policy, right up to the last album 'The Visitors' in 1981, was to have the girls sing 4 or 5 songs each, then for a little variety, Bjorn would take one lead vocal.

It always worked (exception being Summer Night City, which was intended for the Voulez Vous album but didnt make it). I think one vocal per album by Richard would have been the perfect counterbalance.

Stephen

newvillefan said:
This thread reminds me of ABBA, whose policy, right up to the last album 'The Visitors' in 1981, was to have the girls sing 4 or 5 songs each, then for a little variety, Bjorn would take one lead vocal.

Good comparison!! The one difference I can think of, though, is that Richard never got an A-side on the Carpenters singles, whereas Bjorn sings lead on one of the band's Top 40 hits ["Does Your Mother Know"]. Richard and Bjorn both, though, had B-sides that really, really shoulda been A-sides; "I Kept on Loving You" for Richard and "Watch Out" [the B-side of "Waterloo"] for Bjorn. I really can't believe "Watch Out" got wasted as a B-side.

Jeff F.

I love Richard's harmonies and background vocals with and without Karen. However, I am going to be the odd one here again... I don't think he has a strong solo voice in my opinion. He is Mega-talented to be sure. Producer, arranger, composer, astonishing pianist. I have the utmost respect for Richard and his musical talents... and the music he made with Karen as lead vocalist.

I agree, Patrick. To my ears, his lead voice is quite thin and given the way he mixes himself (he drowns in reverb and doubling), you can tell he isn't thrilled with it either. Sometimes, he really is the best one for the song ("Your Wonderful Parade", "Druscilla Penny"). Sometimes, he merely suffices ("I Kept On Loving You", "Piano Picker"). Sometimes, however, he really does sag ("When Time Was All We Had", "Say Yeah!").

As Patrick said, his production and piano skills can't be argued with and he is the second-best vocal arranger that I've ever heard. It also really does take skill to be a convincing background vocalist. However, as a lead vocalist, he leaves something to be desired.

Ed

Well each to their own .... :wink:

Main point is not the strength of Richard's vocals ....it is invidious to compare his lead vocals to Karen Carpenter's -quite unique & wonderful vocal instrument ... :D ....and rarely in groups / duos do you find male & female voices of equal quality ....Sonny & Cher , Mamas & Papas -always favoured female vocalists ....

Richard's leads offer the contrast / variety that Carpenters early albums provide and several tracks would be quite odd sung by Karen ...Your Wonderful Parade , Turn Away, Druscilla Penny & Piano Picker ....as examples.. :o

While Richard does not exhibit the vocal qualities of Art Garfunkel , Elton John , Neil Diamond , James Taylor ....equally his vocals offer a counterpoint on numerous Carpenters Studio & Live albums... :thumbsup:

For those of us that have seen & enjoyed Richard in concerts / benefits ....his live performances are often more moving / better quality than many of his album tracks ...I can only think of one classic ...where I thought ...that is Karen's vocal ...best leave alone :wink:

Certainly hope Richard will change his currrent stance & include some Carpenters vault lead tracks plus several on his forthcoming Solo album ....:cool:

Peter

I actually prefer Richard's latter lead vocals (i.e. "An Old Fashioned Christmas"), etc.

I think he has a very warm and rich doubled lead sound that would be missed greatly had they been removed. I also think that the way he set up "Do You Hear What I Hear?" with Rich on lead at verse 1, and Karen making her entry later on subsequent verses was a good choice.

I remember attending the American Music Awards in '98 when Richard and George Benson presented the award to the Spice Girls. Rich's live/raw voice even then (although only spoken) was quite thin as was true of his concerts. Something magical happens to his voice when it hits the tape. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom