SP-17014 Carpenters - Country Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.k. I'll play along. I don't like compilations that run over 45 minutes or so. Here is my list.

1) Jambalya
2) Top of the World (Original version)
3) Sweet Sweet Smile
4) Reason to Believe
5) Those Good Old Dreams
6) Can't Smile Without You (alternate lyrics)
7) Two Sides
8) The Uninvited Guest
9) Desperado
10) When It's Gone
11) Leave Yesterday Behind
12) Honolulu City Lights

The idea of a Carpenters Country collection is weird.K&R did a few Country-flavored tracks and a few Country-Pop type tracks,but nothing in the way of pure traditional Country.And,the last thing we need is another compilation with "Sweet Sweet Smile".
Reading an older thread. So here’s my sense of what a Carpenters Country CD track list would include. Any omissions?

1. Reason To Believe
2. Rainy Days And Mondays
3. Top Of The World
4. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
5. The End Of The World
6. Desperado
7. (I’m Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You
8. You
9. Goofus
10.I Need To Be In Love
11.One More Time
12.I Just Fall In Love Again
13.Sweet Sweet Smile
14.Two Sides
15.When It’s Gone (It’s Just Gone)
16.Those Good Old Dreams
17.You’re Enough
18.Two Lives
19.Touch Me When We’re Dancing (bonus track)

I don't know what your definition of Country is-but only a few of these tracks could be considered Country:"Sweet Sweet Smile","End Of The World" & "Jambalaya". "Goofus" is a jazz piece,"Rainy Days" and "One More Time" are Jazz ballads.Most of the rest is just easy-listening pop.

"I Just Fall In Love Again" is a pop ballad with a full orchestra.When was the last time anyone hear a Country song with a full orchestra?

When was the last time anyone hear a Country song with a full orchestra?

It has been awhile, but Chet Atkins (as a producer) was famous for helping Eddy Arnold and Jim Reeves go "upscale" in the sixties. And, yes, on some recordings they used full orchestras.

Not to mention Ray Price and his producers at Columbia; very much part of the "countrypolitan" sound before it was called "crossover." Skeeter Davis's "The End Of The World" was another great example of an early crossover hit. The Carpenters' own "Top Of The World," while maybe not specifically a country song, certainly had that feel about it. "Goofus" was not really a jazz number, but a tin-pan-alley novelty song with a decidedly "rural" accent; though I've heard it arranged in a variety of ways.

Reading an older thread. So here’s my sense of what a Carpenters Country CD track list would include. Any omissions?

1. Reason To Believe
2. Rainy Days And Mondays
3. Top Of The World
4. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
5. The End Of The World
6. Desperado
7. (I’m Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You
8. You
9. Goofus
10.I Need To Be In Love
11.One More Time
12.I Just Fall In Love Again
13.Sweet Sweet Smile
14.Two Sides
15.When It’s Gone (It’s Just Gone)
16.Those Good Old Dreams
17.You’re Enough
18.Two Lives
19.Touch Me When We’re Dancing (bonus track)
Not enought hootin' and hollerin' on these songs.

One source:
2000 Copies of Country Collection pressed for promotional purposes.
Also, 278,000 Copies sold of Sweet, Sweet Smile.
CFCN#56, November 1977: " Karen and Richard are considering releasing " Sweet, Sweet Smile", but it would not be until Occupants
disappears from the charts."
CFCN#57,January 1978: " By the time you read this Newsletter, it (SSS) should be in your Music Stores."
CFCN#60,July 1978: "Richard and Karen are quite excited about their prospective two or three day trip to Nashville,
where they will meet with Joe Osborne, check out the music scene, and record some tracks."

One source:
2000 Copies of Country Collection pressed for promotional purposes.
Also, 278,000 Copies sold of Sweet, Sweet Smile.
CFCN#56, November 1977: " Karen and Richard are considering releasing " Sweet, Sweet Smile", but it would not be until Occupants
disappears from the charts."
CFCN#57,January 1978: " By the time you read this Newsletter, it (SSS) should be in your Music Stores."
CFCN#60,July 1978: "Richard and Karen are quite excited about their prospective two or three day trip to Nashville,
where they will meet with Joe Osborne, check out the music scene, and record some tracks."

Adam, in answer to your question, I would defer to the expertise of other members,
as I have never been able to authenticate the figure of 278,000 copies.
But, considering that Only Yesterday only sold 600,000 copies (it being #4 hit)
I would say the figure for Sweet, Sweet Smile is not far off base.

Thanks gary.I think the sales figure is accurate for the US.I know Sweet Sweet Smile no 44 on pop charts
no 8 on country charts.
Apart from being a hit in Germany no 22 it wasnt much of a hit anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom