• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW Split Enz - TRUE COLOURS (SP-4822)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Split Enz
TRUE COLOURS
A&M SP-4822
sp4822.jpg

This 1980 release by Split Enz, a band from New Zealand, featured alternate cover art color combinations and a laser-etched graphic record. The Finn Brothers were later members of Crowded House.

Neil Finn - guitar & vocals
Tim Finn - vocals
Eddie Rayner - keyboards
Noel Crombie - percussion
Malcolm Green - drums
Nigel Griggs - bass

THIS SIDE SIDE ONE

I Got You - N. Finn - 3:24 ---- #53
Shark Attack - T. Finn - 2:52
What's The Matter With You - N. Finn - 3:02
Double Happy - E. Rayner - 3:15
I Wouldn't Dream of It - T. Finn - 3:14
I Hope I Never - T. Finn - 4:26

OTHER SIDE SIDE TWO

Nobody Takes Me Seriously - T. Finn - 3:24
Missing Person - N. Finn - 3:32
Poor Boy - T. Finn - 3:19
How Can I Resist Her - T. Finn - 3:26
The Choral Sea - Split Enz - 4:29

All selections published by Enz Music
Produced & Engineered by David Tickle; A Boomerang Production
Assistant Engineer - Scott (Blackhand) Hemmings
Recorded at Armstrongs, Melbourne Australia, no thanks to Wayne

Management (North America) - Tommy Mottola & Nathan Brenner

Special Thanks to Simon Zaitz, Equipment Manager, Yamaha, A.C.T., C.L.S., Letz, Roland, Ansett.

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on August 20, 1980, charted for 25 weeks and peaked at # 40

Reissued as SP/CD 3235

JB

Hit for hit, probably the best Split Enz album. And while this one has more hits overall, there are songs I like better on some subsequent albums.

This album was also the first to feature "laser etching" -- a laser-generated affectation on the vinyl surface that made for interesting chromatic aberrations as the record spun on the turntable. It didn't affect play. The first single from True Colors also featured laser-etching.

This album was also released with 6 different sleeve color varieties:

sp4822.jpg
sp4822alt1.jpg
sp4822alt2.jpg

sp4822alt3.jpg
sp4822alt4.jpg
sp4822alt5.jpg

Their next album had three different color varieties of sleeve. Neither, however, is as extensive as the Police Synchronicity covers which came in 39 varieties...

I recall they started laser etching some albums in order to combat counterfeit vinyl releases. Good thing is, on the one LP I own with the etching (Paradise Theatre, Styx) I hear no ill effects. The laser effect is not so clear but is a neat touch.

Really liking this Split Enz album so far--only just hearing it now for the first time. Wish they would have gotten more exposure, as I really would have been into this back in my high school days. I've also grabbed their Time and Tide album which supposedly is just as good if not better. "I Got You" is catchy--I can see why it was an international hit. Great hooks on this one! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom