• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sundown Lady - Lani Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dub45

Just getting back to the forums having been away for a while and wondering very optimistically if anyone can point out a likely source for the CD of Sundown Lady? :confused:

Good luck finding it! It was only released for a short time on a semi-obscure division of Universal Japan called Vivid Sounds. I've not seen it show up very often on either eBay or Gemm, but those would be among best bets. Either that or just lucking into a copy from an unlikely source.

If you've got the capability, try finding a clean copy of the LP and make your own. This album can be hard to do, since there are so many quiet passages, and any flaws in the vinyl really show up. I myself have many failed attempts at making this one, strewn about the place. After I got it just about perfect, along came the Japanese release.
:mad:

Harry
...timing is everything, online...

The TJB's You Smile, The Song Begins has never been on CD. Only a couple of tracks have made it to CD: "Promises Promises" on a Japanese A&M/Bacharach compilation, and "Last Tango In Paris" on a couple of compilations like Foursider.

I have long had the album on vinyl but what I really want to hear (regularly!) is Wherever I may find Him without the scratches etc. and of course to make matters worse from a noise point of view it was the last track on the album always the worst place for tracking.!

It surely must be one of the great vocal performances. I often wonder if Paul Simon has ever heard it? :)

Dub45 said:
Just getting back to the forums having been away for a while and wondering very optimistically if anyone can point out a likely source for the CD of Sundown Lady? :confused:

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2536304281&category=1573&rd=1

7 hours and a handful of minutes to go as I post this. (And if you want to win it, DO NOT bid now! Rather, wait until the last minute of the bid if possible, and then place only one bid, for the most you are willing to pay.* Of course that assumes that the price hasn't already passed the most you are willing to pay :) !) And, I promise, I'M not going to bid any higher.

(*If you bid before the last possible moment, and do become the high bidder, that will only make other people who don't bid their highest price the first time notice that and make the counterbid against you, whereas they wouldn't have counterbid if they hadn't known in time that you were going to bid that high.)

$106 right now...sheesh! :confused: For as seldom as I play it, my beat-up vinyl will have to do.

It's a nicely mastered disc, and the artwork is faithful to the original as well.. Too bad it was on the market for so short a time. I'm sure whoever gets it will be happy, assuming 'Buyer's Regret' doesn't set in.

Harry
NP: Love Music, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77

It makes you wonder why they bothered to reissue it if it were only to be in print for such a short time....especially with all the effort that went into it. Had the CD been $10-$15, I'd probably have gotten it. (Much like the new Japanese Montez CD I picked up for $12.)

It was never cheap. I recall ordering it for somewhere between $40 and $50. It was on a Japanese specialty label of Universal's call Vivid Sound. They seem to specialize in obscure pop.

Their website is still there (and they even have a CATAROG listed - their spelling, not mine).
http://www.vividsound.co.jp

Harry
...whose $40 to $50 seems a bit of a bargain now, online...

stefandaystrom said:
stefandaystrom said:
And, I promise, I'M not going to bid any higher.
Sorry, I'm temporarily breaking that promise...

Ok, I can now tell this bidder (who thinks that having the two top bids protects them better against being outbid than only having the top bid, whereas it's vice versa!) had previously bid up to $115, and now has bid up to $140, which is where it's parked. If the top bid is still $140.00 in the last minute of the bid, you stand a decent chance of winning it by just bidding $142.50, as long as this is the only person you're bidding against. (But, of course, there may be snipers other than you in the wings...)

Dub45-There's probably not much hope for getting your hands on "Sundown Lady",but try to find a copy of Lani's album COLLECTIBLES(US),it was released on CD,but it's probably out of print.COLLECTIBLES contains several tracks from SUN DOWN LADY,including(excellent)remixes of "We Could Be Flying","Come Down In Time" and "How Can I Tell You".(I'm not a big fan of this album,but I did Listen to a copy a while back.)Some good tracks on this collection,Including SUN DOWN LADY cuts,movie theme "Never Say Never Again","Midnight Lovers"(with Sergio Mendes),etc.

Closing price: $141.16, with 31 bids counted.

Now, about my $3 vinyl...

Rudy said:

Yes, but did you have as much fun with your vinyl as I had in bidding that top bidder's price all the way from $72.00 (which is what it would have been had I not come along and "teased" the double-top bidder) to $141.16? A full 20 of those bids are just in response me "testing" that bidder's second-top price and then that one bidder being scared that my counterbidding was an attempt to outbid him. :)

stefandaystrom said:
A full 20 of those bids are just in response me "testing" that bidder's second-top price and then that one bidder being scared that my counterbidding was an attempt to outbid him. :)

This would be all the funnier if you, Stefan, were the seller! :bigevil:

--Mr Bill

Harry, are you sure you paid that much? I'm pretty sure I got mine from Melody Blvd./Thoughtscape in the $24.99 range. Too bad I didn't pick up a few extra--I could have sent my kids to an Ivy League school!

stefandaystrom said:
Rudy said:

Yes, but did you have as much fun with your vinyl as I had in bidding that top bidder's price all the way from $72.00 (which is what it would have been had I not come along and "teased" the double-top bidder) to $141.16? A full 20 of those bids are just in response me "testing" that bidder's second-top price and then that one bidder being scared that my counterbidding was an attempt to outbid him. :)

Hehehehee...yeah, that had to be a kick! :D :winkgrin: Actually, I bought one copy of Sundown Lady from a friend online, and I found the other copy (with trashed vinyl but a good cover) in a dollar bin at Melodies & Memories. So it does have a bit of an odd history. :wink:

In the past, I have sniped some auctions I knew I wouldn't win, and it IS a little funny to see that ALL I accomplished was kicking up the winning bidder's price. :winkgrin:

JMK said:
Harry, are you sure you paid that much? I'm pretty sure I got mine from Melody Blvd./Thoughtscape in the $24.99 range. Too bad I didn't pick up a few extra--I could have sent my kids to an Ivy League school!

Fuzzy memories. I got it from Thoughtscape/Melody Blvd. too, so I probably paid the same as you. Perhaps I got something else around the same time, which gave me a $50 memory.

Harry
...what was the question again?, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom