• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sweet Harmony Tour-A&M connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

I just don't get to see as much live music as many of our forum members get to see,so it was with much anticipation that my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by taking in the Sweet Harmony Tour,which stopped by the Philly area last night. Sweet Harmony is headlined by Emmylou Harris,with band mate Buddy Miller and featuring Gillian Welch with partner David Rawlings and Patty Griffin,who has much of her touring band in tow. Performing as a group for an intro,seperating into minsets but sometimes featuring other members on duets,the evening was filled with some of the most consistently fine but eclectic singing/songwriting music I have ever witnessed. Emmylou and Gillian performed their "Oh,Brother" tunes,Patty quite possibly stole the show while coming on last as a soloist and the encores featured a rousing rendition of the Band's "The Weight"(a song abandoned by all radio formats which shows how ignorant commercial radio is nowadays) as well as "Turn,Turn,Turn" and "Six Days on the Road". Unfortunately,security only let backstage pass owners after the show. I was hoping to get Gillian and Emmylou to sign my VHS cover of "Down From the Mountain",the documentary of the live performances by the musicians featured in "Oh Brother,Where Art Thou?" Of course,the A&M connections are Emmylou's involement with Gram Parsons;Patty recorded two albums for the waning days of A&M as a real label(she is currently on Dave Matthew's ATO imprint with three albums);Gillian was originally an Almo Sounds artist(having been able to rerelease her two Almo albums along with current material on her Acony label. Last night's music will stay in my soul forever. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom