The Corrs with Sheryl Crow, once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Earlier this year, The Corrs' community got excited over the announcement of a special Japanese-only release of a Sheryl Crow; Live At Budokan disc. The tracklist, when announced, was to have included a bonus studio track of "C'mon, C'mon" with backing work done by The Corrs. However, after several delays, the album came out without that track, disappointing those who'd pre-ordered tht disc.

Now today, we get the news that the track will be resurrected on The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow, due out in October. This time, the track is scheduled on all of the international versions of the album, but NOT on the US version. This is all spelled out on the official Sheryl Crow website on this page with all of the different versions' track listings:

http://www.sherylcrow.com/news.asp?newsID=11387

Harry
...eager to spin an A&M disc with The Corrs on it, online...

Five different versions of the same album? :shock: That must be a record! I'm happy to hear that the track with the Corrs will finally be released. I sure hope that Canada will get the "International" version, but I'm not holding my breath. Unfortunately, Universal has been shipping a lot of US made product into Canada lately, rather than manufacturing it here, so chances are that we'll get stuck with the crappy US version.

Murray
...with fingers crossed...

Murray said:
Five different versions of the same album? :shock: That must be a record!

Nah. Even The Corrs TALK ON CORNERS has more than that. I personally have SEVEN! There have to be as many or more different versions of IN BLUE, too.

Murray said:
I'm happy to hear that the track with the Corrs will finally be released. I sure hope that Canada will get the "International" version, but I'm not holding my breath. Unfortunately, Universal has been shipping a lot of US made product into Canada lately, rather than manufacturing it here, so chances are that we'll get stuck with the crappy US version.

Don't know what you'll get in Canada - keep checking theonline sources as they update their databases. Checking the lists posted about the versions, here's a few facts:

- there are a 'core' 14 tracks that appear on all versions that total up at 61:36 leaving only about 13 minutes or so to play with for 'bonus tracks.'

- the two US-only tracks add up to an additional almost 12 minutes, pretty well filling up the disc.

- each of the other editions' three bonus tracks must be around 4+ minutes each to fit in under the 74 minute mark that most CD producers try to adhere to.

- all of the non US versions feature two of the same bonus tracks, "Run Baby Run" and "C'mon, C'mon" (w/Corrs).

- in addition, each non-US edition features its own unique track:

UK: "Anything But Down"
Intl: "Let's Get Free"
Japan: "Rock N'Roll Live At Budokan"
Germany: "It's So Easy" w/Wolfgang Niedecken

Harry
...with a little analysis, online...

So if I'm counting it right, there are eight total bonus tracks spread out between all the releases? That's almost a CD's worth itself!

Well, it's arrived. I ordered the British version of The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow from amazon.co.uk and it came in today's mail. Not too bad time-wise - the album was released over there on Monday.

The track that 'features' The Corrs, "C'mon, C'mon" is not all that different from the song as featured as the title track of Sheryl's last album. In that one, Sheryl herself did the backing vocals - here we get The Corrs. It's not obvious at all, rather understated. Toward the end of the track, keen-eared listeners can pick up the distinctiveness of Andrea's voice getting more adventurous with the backing vocals. Still, it's a bit of a thrill for me to have an A&M disc with even a hint of The Corrs on it.

As I theorized above, this album totals out to 77:54 - just under that magic 80 minute threshold, and accounting for the change in bonus tracks from country to country. For the record, it looks like Canada will get the US version and on the same date, Nov. 4th.

Our radio station that plays current hits is playing the first single from this album already, "The First Cut Is The Deepest", composed by Cat Stevens. It was recorded at 'Henson Studios' in Hollywood, CA., formerly of course, A&M Studios.

One other note - this British release has the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo on the face of the disc AND on the plastic tray that houses the disc. All other current A&M releases from the US seem to have dispensed with that logo this year.

B0000DZ3E2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Harry
NP: "C'mon, C'mon" - Sheryl Crow (featuring The Corrs)

Harry said:
The track that 'features' The Corrs, "C'mon, C'mon" is not all that different from the song as featured as the title track of Sheryl's last album. In that one, Sheryl herself did the backing vocals - here we get The Corrs. It's not obvious at all, rather understated. Toward the end of the track, keen-eared listeners can pick up the distinctiveness of Andrea's voice getting more adventurous with the backing vocals. Still, it's a bit of a thrill for me to have an A&M disc with even a hint of The Corrs on it.

I just got the British version of the CD today (Canada DID get the US version, hence the need to get an import). You're right that the Corrs participation on the track is understated. A few seconds into the track, I can hear Caroline's bodhran, but it quickly gets lost in the wall of sound. A couple of times, I swear I can hear a few notes from Sharon's violin, but I can't be positive of that. It's only in the last 40 seconds or so that I can even make out Andrea's voice distinctly in the background vocals. Overall, I'm a little disappointed. The Corrs could have been used much more effectively, say in an acoustic arrangement.

Murray
...patiently waiting for the next Corrs album...

Murray said:
A few seconds into the track, I can hear Caroline's bodhran, but it quickly gets lost in the wall of sound. A couple of times, I swear I can hear a few notes from Sharon's violin, but I can't be positive of that. It's only in the last 40 seconds or so that I can even make out Andrea's voice distinctly in the background vocals. Overall, I'm a little disappointed. The Corrs could have been used much more effectively, say in an acoustic arrangement.

The plot thickens (and so does the Corrs participation on this track!). I'd read on a Corrs forum that someone in the UK heard this song, "C'mon, C'mon" on the radio and The Corrs were all over it. This jogged my memory to recall that online track listings of the VERY BEST OF SHERYL CROW album sometimes listed this track with a qualifier: (No pennywhistle version).

Reading between the lines, it becomes clear that if there is a NO pennywhistle version, then there should be one WITH the pennywhistle, and by conjecture, a bit more of the Corrs' sound to it.

So is that what the person in the UK heard on the radio? If so, where did radio come up with this track? There's no mention of a single version on any of the UK websites. Deductive reasoning indicates that it must've been released on a promo single, only to radio.

Next I read another Corrs poster saying that he'd acquired a promo version of the song with this different, more Corrs-y mix. So off to eBay I went in search of this promo.

At that particular moment in time on eBay, there was just one promo listing for Sheryl Crow's "C'mon, C'mon" (featuring The Corrs). It was UK based, but didn't mention anything about a different mix. So I took a chance and bid on it. In all likelihood, I expected just a one-track version of what was on the album, but on the off-chance that this was what I really wanted, I made my bid and won.

The disc arrived yesterday. Packed in a typical UK single jewel case, the front artwork had the wood-look theme used on the VERY BEST OF SHERYL CROW album, framing the giant old-time font that says SHERYL CROW. Beneath, in smaller letters, is "C'mon, C'mon" (featuring The Corrs).

Inside, the disc label itself is a plain tan color with brown writing, indicating the one track, "C'mon, C'mon" (featuring The Corrs). There's nothing indicating a special mix.

On the inner cover is the same track 'listing' and some fine print listing composers, publishers, copyright dates, and a statement saying "Original version from the album C'MON, C'MON." A&M Records, Polydor Ltd., blah blah. Promotional use only, Not for sale. Still nothing to indicate anything different, as all the same info is repeated on the VERY BEST OF liner notes. (By the way, one of my earlier posts in this thread has some incorrect info - on the original studio album version of this track, Sheryl is joined by Stevie Nicks on some of the backing vocals - just setting the record straight here.)

On the back of the jewel box is a white sticker with the following verbiage:

A brand new single version of the title track originally recorded for Sheryl's current studio album also re-recorded with The Corrs for Sheryl's 'Very Best Of' album that is hurtling towards double platinum status for Christmas '03. The single will be a major download release through MSN, Tiscali, MTV and Freeserve sites. Sheryl returns to the UK for more promo and three sold out Shepherds Bush Empire dates on 7, 8 & 9 December. A UK tour is hoped for in the Spring of '04. RELEASE DATE 22 DECEMBER 03

A-ha! "A brand new single version..." The only indication that this version is anything special.

So, the ultimate test - put the CD into the player and check it out! Opening notes: pennywhistle! Success! I'd found it!

This tune was just made for The Corrs stylings and one can hear the pennywhistle, bodhran, and violin along with the vocals. And there's more of Andrea Corr's lead vocal here too, as Sheryl Crow and she trade off some lead lines throughout the song. This is a far superior version for Corrs fans. Too bad it's so obscure and hard to find!

Hopefully, part of the agreement to do the track will result in a future release on a Corrs album or single, perhaps as a bonus track. Meantime, this A&M/Corrs geek is thrilled!

Harry
NP: "C'mon, C'mon" (featuring The Corrs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom