• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW The Keys - ALBUM (SP-4868)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The Keys
ALBUM
A&M SP-4868
The+Keys+-+Front.jpg

Vocals & Guitar - Steve Tatler and Ben Grove
Bass & Vocals - Drew Barfield
Drums - Geoff Britton
Producer - Joe Jackson

SIDE ONE

Hello Hello 3:30
It Ain't So 2:28
One Good Reason 3:15
Listening In 3:06
I Don't Wanna Cry 2:52
Saturday to Sunday Night 4:00

SIDE TWO

Spit it Out 2:38
If It's Not Too Much 2:49
Run Run Run 2:47
Greasy Money 3:30
Back to Black 3:18
World Ain't Turning 3:27

Engineer - Mark Hunt
Photography - Allan Ballard (front) and Ivan Bird (back)
Art Direction - Michael Ross
Design - Barbarann Reeves

Released 1981

JB

I added the cover image. At the time of its release I was actively buying nearly every A&M album as it was released (punk and new wave in particular) and for some reason I never saw or found this one. I do recall their single "Just a Camera" getting played on radio somewhere -- probably Rodney Bingenheimer's "Rodney of the Roq" show. After a little online research seeking the cover image, it's looking like this was one that A&M in America opted not to pick up for distro on this side of the pond, though its UK A&M number indicates it was going to get released (UK-only releases were numbered differently). There are some samples of their sound on some sites on the Great Global Glot (ggg), er, I mean World Wide Web (www)... Sound is typical of the era's "power pop" and (IMHO) rather catchy... Interestingly, drummer Geoff Britton played with Wings for a short time in the mid 70s!

The UK catalogue number of this album is A&M AMLH 68526. The same number was used for a Dutch pressing. I also have a copy with above number SP-4868, that was pressed in Canada, but never seen a US copy.

The album is really good and I can't understand, why it was never re-released on CD so far. There are also 3 UK singles with picture sleeves from this album (see http://www.45cat.com/artist/the-keys-80s)

What-ho! I joined this forum cos I saw you were discussing The Keys Album. I loved this album when it came out and managed to catch the band at The Venue, Victoria, London supporting Nine Below Zero way back in 1981. I've longed wished it would trickle onto CD. I've found it as an mp3 download with some non-album singles (not great quality) and also here in its entirity on youtube ( ) but long for a really good copy.

I've contacted a couple of small re-issue labels and suggested it as future release but have never heard back. Who would join me in a petition to demand its re-release?:laugh:

I checked a few sources--this one is indeed hard to come by, but I am going to keep an eye out for a clean (NM or M-) copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom