The Letterman & Knoxville Symphony Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The first of a 2-night engagement of the Lettermen with the KSO took place last night. Lead by founding member Tony Butala, the group performed medleys of their most popular singles interspersed with new material and solos.
Butala, 44-year veteran, Donovan Tea, who joined in 1984 and Darren Dowler, who came along in '95, comprised the trio. The venue was almost full, which bodes well for next month's dates with Burt Bacharach.
Here's the setlist:

People Got to Be Free - Put a Little Love in Your Heart (medley)
More
Medley: Memories/Traces/ Hurt So Bad/ Put Your Head on my Shoulder/ Shangri-La
Tony's Cole Porter medley: I Get a Kick out of You/I Got You Under my Skin/ Night & Day

Go The Distance (Darren's solo)
Some Kind of Friend You Turned Out to Be -- Barry Manilow tune
Daddy's Girl (Donovan's solo)
My Heart Will Go On --- from "Titanic." much nicer w/o Celine
All I Want (from "Phantom of the Opera")

Medley: The Way You Look Tonight/ Summer Place/ When I Fall in Love
Love is a Many Splendored Thing
Maria (from 'West Side Story') --- Tony's solo
Unchained Melody
A Little Boy's Prayer (Donovan's solo)
Wind Beneath My Wings
Going Out of My Head - Can't take my Eyes off of You (medley)
Les Miserables
Mac Arthur Park
I Believe.

Darren treated the crowd with vocal impersonations of Sammy Davis Jr., Elvis, Michael Bolton and others.
Afterwards the guys hung out in the lobby to chat with everyone who stuck around.
Butala enjoyed talking about his project, the Vocal Group Hall of Fame, which is based in the Pittsburgh area.
Overall a very enjoyable evening, and let's hope the next event goes equally well.
JB
www.thelettermen.com

Jim, I'm glad The Lettermen filled your night with Great Harmony! I saw their Christmas Show back in 2000 (Saw Melissa Manchester and Rita Coolidge 'round that time, as well) and their show was Awesome!

They did "regular" songs, as well. No "MacArthur Park", "Some Kind Of Friend" or a few others you mentioned. But they did take a few people out of the audience to help with "The Twelve Days Of Christmas". And their "Up, Up And Away" Photo Session was cool--audience members who brought their cameras and/or someone to take pictures got to be photographed with them during the number.

In fact, their "Memories"/"Traces" and "Goin' Out Of My Head"/"Can't Take My Eyes Off You" Medleys are what they're most famous for--so they definitely did those songs. And they did "Wind Beneath My Wings", too.

Glad you had a great time--I did when I saw them. And after the show, they were in the lobby meeting, greeting and autographing stuff, too. I got three LP's signed by Tony!

Dave

I've seen The Lettermen a few times over the years. First was at Philadelphia's Academy Of Music on a very early date with she who became my wife. Since then we've gone a few more times to see The Lettermen when they came to town at variuos venues. I can't remember the various configuration of members, but Tony Butala was always there.

Harry
...who often thinks of this group as others mention "Letterman" around the water-cooler, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom