• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The mixes of "Superstar"

Which mix of "Superstar" by Carpenters do you prefer?

• The original. The first and the best.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • The remix. Richard's work on this was outstanding.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I still can't tell the difference. Can we go on to the next question?

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
For those who don't remember, here's a bit of the history of the song "Superstar." It first appeared as an album track on the tan Carpenters LP, and met with a lot of positive reaction, so after "Rainy Days And Mondays", it was released as the next single. The single version was identical to that album track in terms of 'mixes'.

It next appeared on the Singles 1969-1973 album, pitched up slightly and with a different ending in order to effect a segue on the album to the next track, the aforementioned "Rainy Days..." Other than the altered ending and pitch, it was still the same basic recording.

Flash forward to the 80s and the advent of CDs. By this time, Richard had remixed "Superstar" for the Yesterday Once More set, with an altered descending horn line in the opening, a punchier drum track, and Karen's voice now more reverbed. This remix would then appear on virtually every compilation (with an early 90s update) right through to the year 2000. Even the early release on CD of the tan Carpenters album featured the remix. In fact, the only place on CD for years that one could find any existence of the original mix was on the Singles 1969-1973 disc, and that was in its altered form.

It wasn't until the 1998-1999 issues of the Remastered Classics series of albums that we actually got to hear the original "Superstar" mix on CD, with the song appearing on the tan Carpenters CD. Since then, it's appeared on the Japanese By Request CD, and most recently on the Essential Collection box set.

To me, this kind of indicates that for many years, Richard saw no reason to 'subject' us to the original mix, instead favoring his remix. But recent releases tend to tell me that he may have 'come to terms' with the original mix -- perhaps after spending time with it in preparing for the Remastered Classics set.

So I thought I'd poll the membership here on which mix you prefer.

Harry

After the original classics remasters were produced, the sound quality was excellent. I used to think that the remixes were partly to reduce sound level noise, but these new remasters have better quality, low noise, clearer mixes and no announcement of 'this is a new track' being placed on top of old ones.

All I can say is that God for the remasters.

Craig

I only have the original mix on the Carpenters vinyl LP. Unfortunately, the "remastered classics" CDs weren't released in Canada. :sad: As I already own a set of the "original", remixed CDs, I just couldn't afford to buy a new set, especially not at import prices!

Since I don't have it on CD, I've gotten used to hearing the remixed version of Superstar. Once or twice a year I dust off the vinyl, and I must say that I still prefer the original mix, as I do in the case of most songs.

Murray
...who thinks that Universal executives should burn in hell for not releasing the remastered CDs EVERYWHERE!!! :evil: ...

On Balance , the Original Mix of Superstar is best :)

I would have to check , but the UK 1990 Only Yesterday Re-mix is Poor as are most of these Mixes :shock:
Not sure if this is 1980's Remix ?

Peter...Sticking With The Original .......

In fact, there must be four mixes of SUPERSTAR:

1970, original mix
1973, for SINGLES album
1985, for YESTERDAY ONCE MORE Double CD
1991, for FROM THE TOP.

I prefer the 1985 remix. I think, it's not just reverb; I think that Richard used an alternative lead vocal on this, because Karen sounds really better and clearer than on the original. I very much like the additional piano parts as well. And, of course, the new recorded clarinet ( or is it an oboe??).

The FROM THE TOP Mix is a step back, in my opinion, and uses the old lead vocal.

Agreed. Murray, if you only buy two, you'll get the main benefit of the series. All of the later albums sound pretty much the same as the earlier released CDs, but two early efforts, Carpenters and A Song For You, are markedly different from their 80s counterparts. These have the most number of original mixes that had been altered, so if you were just spend the money to update TWO of your discs, do these.

Harry
NP: Essential Collection, Carpenters

My favorite mix of Superstar is the 1985 remix. I like it because the vocals do sound different and it is more punchier. I also like the mix on the Singles 1969-1973 because it sounds so natural and original. I think that it is also about time for some new remixes!!!

I can't cast my vote yet till I hear the original version. (I don't think I have heard it)

I have the Tan Carpenters LP but it is still sealed & I haven't opened it yet. I never got the Remastered Classics Tan CD. But I do have an original Tan CD from long long time ago.

I just looked through my 45's but I don't seem to have Superstar on 45.

The 1971 mix, and the 1985 mix are my faves. Do NOT care for any of the later remixes. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom