The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Rudy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    I haven't seen you in over a decade. It weren't me! :D

2. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

It was gone long before I ever set foot into A&M Corner!

Rudy likes this.
  3. Rudy

US
    Streaming this one at the moment. Christian McBride, Sci-Fi.

upload_2019-2-5_19-52-4.png

Impressive roster of artists including Herbie Hancock, Dianne Reeves, Toots Thielemans, and David Gilmore (yes, that David Gilmore), among others. Interesting covers of "Aja" and "Walking On The Moon" (yes, that tune by The Police).

4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Active Member

Now spinning, UK Chrysalis pressing of "The Best Of Leo Sayer"

Rudy likes this.
  5. Rudy

US
    I randomly picked this one from Terje Rypdal's albums on Qobuz over the weekend and gave it a spin. ECM did a nice reissue of this one in hi-res. It sounds like a recent recording but was actually released back in 1978.

upload_2019-2-17_23-10-6.png

Palle Mikkelborg appears here on trumpet, flugelhorn, something called a "ring modulator" (which is a strange type of synthesizer that makes sounds with "ringing" types of overtones, like the "harmonica" sound on the lead-off track, "Per Ulv" and can also sound like wind chimes, like the ring modulator I built decades ago), and the RMI Keyboard Computer. In 1985 Mikkelborg would compose and produce the album Aura for Miles Davis.

upload_2019-2-17_23-15-4.png

Terje Rypdal plays guitar, the RMI, and an ARP synthesizer. He is still an ECM recording artist, having recorded his first album with the label way back in 1971.

6. Rudy

US
    A marvelous Robert Fine recording on Mercury Living Presence:

upload_2019-2-19_21-4-32.png

7. Rudy

US
  8. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Can't Go wrong with Chet

Rudy likes this.
  9. Rudy

US
    Still giving Nik Bärtsch's Ronin a lot of play here.

It occurred to me this evening while listening to an early album of his that the music has a few similarities to Moondog, as some of his short pieces could be similarly rhythmic, circular and ritualistic. Listen to "Oasis" at the 2:30 point in this 10" album and compare to the track above (which is an excerpt from "Modul 58"). That pulsing, circular rhythm is kind of similar in a way (although Bärtsch is playing in 7/4 where Moondog is in 5/4):