• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The PELÉ album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Though I've got a fairly complete collection of Sergio Mendes recordings, I've never heard a single track from Sergio Mendes' PELE album, and have just finally acquired it via the three-fer from COLLECTABLES. Is there anything I should know in advance before listening? Any particular tracks that are favorites of members here?

Harry

I've only listened to sound samples and what I heard didn't impress me too much, so my advice would be, don't get your hopes up too high and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised!

The "Main Theme" has Gracinha on vocals (at least it sounds like her), and another track or two has Dori Caymmi on vocals. From the samples, the bulk of the music is instrumental.

I've had it for a couple years now. IIRC, a number of songs are based on a single riff from "My World is the Ball," or whatever the name is. After a while, it got a little tiresome. The Nascimento song sounds really lame. Gerry Mulligan solos somewhere on the album, which is pleasant, but fleeting. Out of five stars I'd generously give it 2.

It’s a sound track for a soccer movie… I guess Sergio could only get inspired to a limited degree.

I have the Japanese CD issue. I rarely listen to it, but a collector must collect; so I have it.

Vocals are credited to Gracinha and Carol Rogers. Although Pele does sings the main theme.

And yes, Gerry Mulligan plays the Baritone & Soprano sax solos.

The Mulligan solos are part of a jazz mix of the main theme, which Pele supposedly had a hand in writing. I'm not sure of the particulars, though. I listen to that particular track quite a bit, finding it the highlight of the album. Sergio does some tasty improvising on keyboards, as well.

The album is rather repetitive, but it's obvious that everyone involved enjoyed putting it together. I wouldn't want to listen to it every day, but it's good for an uplift now and then.

Dan

I of course got the LP when it came out (big surprise). For me the most memorable thing about the album was Sergio's "wet look" hairstyle on the back cover. Yikes!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom