The semi-official VOLUME 2 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKROLL

:?: Any word on the release of Vol. II :?:
Must haves from Volume II that need to be re-issued.
1.) The Great Manolete (best bull fight song next to "Lonely Bull")
2.) Winds of Barcelona
3.) Green Leaves of Summer
4.) Marching Thru Madrid

Not at the present time. If you do a little reading in the recent TJB threads, you'll see lots of discussion about it.

Earplugs, seatbelts and maybe some novacaine would be advised! Strong opinions abound over the issue of a V2 reissue!!!

--Mr Bill
who doesn't want to repeat that heated discussion/abuse again

If “Volume 2” is eventually reissued, who amongst us is not going to buy it?

I think it’s a great album and would love to get a reissued CD version.

I'll take one...if only to have Winds of Barcelona.

You know, I think it would be cool to have Winds of Barcelona get some kind of an updated treatment, similar to Up Cherry Street.

The live performance version was a little different than the studio version on Volume 2.

If Vol.2 does not get released it will be one of the worst deletions in musical history. This was Herb's sophomore effort and IMHO a much stronger effort than LB. The sound was much bigger!! The song selections, and original writing was stronger. Alpert's original The Swinger From Seville with the big Edmondson trombone sound, even though it is double tracked, leaves you with a big smile on your face. :D

Surfin Senorita, another Alpert original, still to this day gives me chills. What a great melody. Love :love: it!

Marching Through Madrid, what a great Sol Lake composition! And again what a huge sound!! :thumbsup: The drums in the bridge playing in triplet time over a 4/4 very creative for that time. I often wonder who the drummer was a that time? Probably Hal Blaine! We may never know. :thumbsdn:

There are many other great tracks on this album and it would truly be a shame if it never gets re-released!!

Marty Hurrikane

I know this puts me going against the flow, but the two albums I have been looking forward to most on CD are Volume 2 and The Brass Are Coming.

I think I have six or eight copies of Vol. 2 (stereo and mono) so I could obtain as perfect a copy of each of the songs as possible. With the announcement of the reissues, I had hoped to not have to do that, but if they don't issue the CD, then back to plan one.....

Phil

Not to worry, folks. It will be released...eventually. (Look at the other thread titles in this forum) :)

Herb Alpert is at his creative arranging peak on Volume 2, all those raw musical ideas in his head and heart being laid down on acetate. Later, the stresses of performing and furthering the careers of other artists left him with only precious moments to cull that deeply into his innovatory psyche. This album is only one of three that represent the original TJB sound!

What a shame for any of us to have to spend hundreds of dollars to pick up a mediocre secondhand copy of the 1988 CD and then do our own restorative work on it, in order to complete our collections.

I don't consider the old CDs mediocre at all. I'm now convinced I need to hang onto those. :agree:

Of all the original 1988 reissues, I think "Volume 2" sounded the best. It's very bright and punchy with a good playback level. The later albums sounded cloudier to me on those reissues.

In reality they are all cloudy, low in volume, low in dynamic range, why, I'll tell you.... Volume 2 was simply the best recorded of the early TJB material. :D Herb was a bad cat back then :cool: most people just didn't realize it yet!!!! :thumbsup: Here's looking foreward to V2

Neil posted:

"I don't consider the old CDs mediocre at all. I'm now convinced I need to hang onto those."

As I dig more into the new LB and SOTB reissues, I am afraid I have to agree with you. Time has not been kind to the original tapes and I was hoping for an explosion of bright sound. Also, it sounds as if not too much restorative work went into them. I'll see what I can do with them tonight after running them through Wavelab and making an A/B with my restored 1988 issues.

I can not understand how these tapes were stored, when comparing them to, say, mid to late-fifties Sinatra stuff, or any of the Verve jazz reissues.

Carlito[/quote]

One vote here for the reissue of Volume 2. I thought it was great and I can't wait to hear it again.

From the first roars of Bob Edmonson's trombone and the crowd shouting "Ole" in "The Great Manolete", VOLUME 2 is a non-stop party album! I don't know what didn't click with Herb, but if his goal is to transport his fans into musical euphoria, I'd say he did a pretty darn good job with V2. Every tune is well chosen and most are bouncy, festive sounding melodies. "The Green Leaves Of Summer" is haunting and reflective and shows off Herb's and Bob's abilities to "speak" through their instruments. I'll admit that there isn't much in the way of commercial appeal on the album and Julius Wechter's marimbas aren't as much a part of the sound as on later albums, but IMHO, there isn't one throwaway on this album! And I think that "The Great Manolete" should have been a hit. I love listening to it as well as playing Herb's arrangement on my trumpet. And for those that say V2 doesn't sound like the other albums, NONE of Herb's TJB albums sound like the others. That is what kept the TJB fresh. "With each album, they discover a new range". VOLUME 2 rocks! Nice album art too!
And in terms of commercial success, it is a million selling album. It is hardly a failure or weak album. Some of Herb's albums just exploded sales-wise, but V2 is definitely no slouch.

David,
looking forward to a re-issue of V2 with both back covers.........

I will heartily second that!!! As far as I am concerned Volume 2 is a absolute classic - my all time favorite - it beats Going Places / Whipped Cream hands down. Who can resist " The Great Manolete " and " Spanish Harlem " not to mention the classic " Winds of Barcelona " - IMO the greatest TJB track of all time. The Live version " El Presidente " on S.O.T.B almost brings tears to Your eyes. But, I must admit, I also Love "A banda " - can't wait for " Ninth " in October!

Nobody ever mentions Surfin' Senorita form V2!! What a great melody!! Still gives me chills to this day. :D

I also are looking foreward to hearing Abanda again from 9th. That was one of the first songs I learned to play drums to back in "67, along with Town Without Pity from Sounds Like. Happy Days for me back then!! :D

Volume 2 was obviously an album recorded way ahead of it's time, because it took several years later to catch on.

Can't wait also for.... The Sea Is My Soil. Another great tune to play on the drums. Yes...I am another Warm fan... Hell...I love it all!!!

Thank You Herb! :D :laugh: :winkgrin: :thumbsup:

Marty Hurrikane

Viva Herb Alpert's TJB Vol.2! This is one of his best. Extremely melodic, and the sound from his trumpet was captured in exquisite detail. I always felt that on Vol. 2 they seemed to have miked the trumpet better, or maybe Herb's embouchure was rested due to non-touring at this stage. This release has all the succesful ingredients of the "shape of things to come". I used to own most of Herb's releases on vinyl, and open reel tapes. Well guess what? The humidity here in Puerto Rico obliterated those tapes which had great sound! So once again a huge "shout out" to Mr. Randy Badazz, for reminding Herb to "digitize" these treasures. Kudos to Herb for creating the "premier sound" of the 60's, and "Beyond". Can't wait for Warm, and 9th....

Hurrikane said:
I also are looking foreward to hearing Abanda again from 9th. That was one of the first songs I learned to play drums to back in "67, along with Town Without Pity from Sounds Like. Happy Days for me back then!! :D

Can't wait also for.... The Sea Is My Soil. Another great tune to play on the drums. Yes...I am another Warm fan... Hell...I love it all!!!

Thank You Herb! :D :laugh: :winkgrin: :thumbsup:

Marty Hurrikane

God, I loved Herb's 9th! And "Sounds Like..." and "Warm." Those are the three I'm most excited about getting!

For what it's worth, VOLUME 2 though recorded and released in 1963, didn't chart until a re-release in 1966, at the height of the TjB's popularity. It charted on March 5th, 1966, reached a peak of #17, and remained on the charts for 13 weeks.

Harry
...looking at the chart data, online...

Hello Everyone.

A few days ago I e-mailed Shout! Factory regarding the reissue of Volume 2. Following is the e-mail I sent them.

--------
To Whom It May Concern:

I am a long-time Herb Alpert fan and have thoroughly enjoyed listening to his music since his first album, The Lonely Bull. Over the years I have purchased and collected nearly all of his work on many different media, including LP, cassette, and CD. I was absolutely thrilled when I heard that many of Herb Alpert's albums are being remastered and reissued on CD. I have already purchased three copies of each CD; The Lonely Bull (DK 32771), South of the Border (DK 32772), and Lost Treasures (DK 32867). I am very pleased with the first three CDs of this reissue project and looking forward to Herb Alpert's next three albums; Whipped Cream & Other Delights, !!Going Places!!, What Now My Love, and S.R.O.

I noticed that Herb Alpert's second album, Volume 2, has been omitted from this reissue project. Why is this album not being reissued? Myself along with many other Herb Alpert fans on the A&M Corner Forum (http://www.tijuanabrass.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4) strongly feel that this album deserves to be reissued just like any of the other albums. Herb Alpert's second album is a large part of his history and to delete this album will render the project incomplete. To do a reissue project of this magnitude and omit the second album just because the artist doesn't like the album is a huge oversight. We should not be deprived of Herb Alpert's work because it wasn't his favorite album. Volume 2 is a highly underrated album and should be reissued.

I would appreciate a prompt review and response of this issue.
--------

Yesterday I received a response from the A&R Coordinator at Shout! Factory. Following is his response.

--------
Thanks for your inquiry regarding the Herb Alpert Signature Series.

We have not abandoned the idea of releasing Volume 2 at some point in the future. However, our release plan was geared toward the more commercially popular titles first, and we felt that leading off with South Of The Border and The Lonely Bull would allow us to put our best foot forward and draw more attention to the campaign.

We understand the desire on behalf of Herb's fans to see every title reissued, and we promise to do everything possible to eventually fulfill this request.

Thank you for your interest and we hope you enjoy the first three titles in the series.

--------

Sounds like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel for Volume 2 after all. Just thought I'd pass on the news.

Moderator's Note: The contact info has been removed at the request of Shout! Factory and some of its employees. Please respect their privacy!!!====Capt. B

I can't believe people are still griping about this. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
All things in due time!

Capt. Bacardi
...who's had girlfriends less bi*c*y about this, online... :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi,

My intent was not to "gripe" even more about the reissue of Volume 2. I just wanted everyone to read the response I received from Shout! Factory. I think most Herb Alpert fans would purchase this album if it was reissued, if they enjoy the album or not.

Also, I forgot to mention that the e-mail I sent to Shout! Factory was originally received by...

Moderator's Note: Contact names have been removed at the request from Shout! Factory and some of its employees. Please respect their privacy!!!===Capt. B.

Tijuana Sauerkraut said:
My intent was not to "gripe" even more about the reissue of Volume 2. I just wanted everyone to read the response I received from Shout! Factory.

Oh, it's not just you (although you being a Packers fan explains a few things! :laugh: ), just that it's already been mentioned several times that Volume 2 will eventually get released, yet people keep bothering Shout! about it. Shout! must be getting annoyed by it all. (I know I would, and I would just start ignoring the e-mails.) Herb and Jerry have a great track record and they know what they're doing. They chose Shout! Factory for a reason. Let 'em be.

Capt. Bacardi
...disgruntled Bears fan online... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom