"The Singles, 1969-1981" SACD Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I wonder why no one mentions It's Going To Take Some Time here. My copy of this SACD will come my way in February as I placed my order for it recently so I can't give my opinion yet but a friend of mine provided me with a stereo verson of this recording by putting this 5.1 ch version into MP3. He noticed that you hear an alternate new lead of Karen's on the song played on 5.1 channels while the same old lead as you're used to is heard when it's played on the stereo. It's a great bonus.

Try listening to it. You'll see what I mean.

[Link to full song removed by moderator - Harry]

I just listened to the track. That undoubtedly is the "work lead". It's interesting that it was never erased.

As good as Karen sounds, you can clearly hear the difference between a work lead and hours worth of labor on a true "master lead" (with the exception of a few, i.e. "Superstar", etc.). I can see why Richard is so picky about releasing those. Nonetheless, Karen is still Karen and sounds great! What a fantastic bonus!!

-Chris (...who thinks THIS Karen sounds a lot like the Karen from the "OFFERING/TICKET" days, online...)

Wow! I love work leads. I just listened to the mp3 and am very surprised Richard did release this also, sounds like Karen strains and is out of breath in parts. :sad: Well, nobody is perfect, not even Karen.

Sorry folks. Links to full songs (copyrighted material) is forbidden on this Forum.

Harry

No problem. Sometimes we forget in our excitement.

Harry

I just re-listened to "It's Going To Take Some Time" in 5.1 yeah that is a different take...and how cool! I think it's great to have alternate versions!

Another place you can really hear this same thing is on "I Believe You".
On verse two (5.1 channel version only), Karen sings ' "I believe you when you tell me everytime that we make love will be the first time we've made love and every act of love will please you"...notice anything different just from the LYRICS??
The original version which appears on "Made In America" and the stereo and SACD Stereo 2 ch versions are "...when you SAY that everytime..."

Picking up more and more with each listen....and Loving it!

Since I'm late here what is all this talk about a bonus track? I have not picked up the CD yet, I know the wait if killing me.

So when I get the new CD will I be able to hear this bonus track, on my 5.1 dolby digital surround system? Or was this an exclusive download only?

I'm confused.

This was on the SACD layer for the 5.1 audio of the new SACD. You will need an SACD player, not just your DVD player to hear this.

OK, I finally got my copy of the SACD...

I've spent much of the day isolating the different channels so that I could listen to them independently. I've separated out the center channel, the subwoofer channel and the rear left/right channels so far, and I'm getting ready to get started on the front left/right channels.

One of the more interesting discoveries is that Karen's voice is presented in the center channel without any reverb, and in the rear channels with quite a bit of reverb. This makes for an interesting sound field.

Listening to the center channel alone is quite the experience, since it is mostly just Karen with some bass guitar and drums. It gives it sort of the sound of a jazz combo.

The rear channels are interesting when isolated, too. "It's Going to Take Some Time" is really cool because the percussion is left out completely from those channels, leaving just a very smooth performance. Combined with the different lead, it's like a totally different song. Karen, keyboards, strings/flute and backing vocals only.

After I get each of the channels isolated, I'll start some new threads on each individual song and we can discuss the mixes.

David

raz42289 said:
This was on the SACD layer for the 5.1 audio of the new SACD. You will need an SACD player, not just your DVD player to hear this.

Andrew's right on the money. A DVD player cannot decode SACD's. You have to have an SACD player. Nothing else will work.

Ed

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Andrew's right on the money. A DVD player cannot decode SACD's. You have to have an SACD player. Nothing else will work.

Ed

Darn, this player gonna have to wait, I wanna get a mp3 player first, but I am dying to hear this new vocal track of Karen on It's Going to Take Some Time. I still can't wait to get this CD.

And I might add--don't wait for a DVD-Audio version either. I'll bet money it doesn't happen. I think that format is pretty much dead now. DualDisc was supposed to take over for it (so there could be a DVD-A version on one side and CD on the other side), but thanks to all the player/disc problems, manufacturer warnings and bad press, DualDisc was pretty much stillborn. Unfortunately I don't know of any recent DVD-A releases, so it doesn't seem to look very good...although I'd like to be proven wrong. :confused:

I really don't care for DVD-Audio that much soundwise. It still sounds close to CD. I prefer SACD anyday. However, it is nice to have those music videos at the end. Oh well. Go figure...

...who isn't making a great post, online...

With DVD-A or SACD, it has more to do with the mastering than the format. They are both more revealing than a standard CD. The Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" is at the highest resolution (192khz/24bit) and sounds nice...but IMHO, their sound has always been too sterile over the past few albums. Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" on DVD-A (the two-channel version) sounds terrific!

You learn something new everyday...

I am slowly but surely getting into the high-end audio. It is very hard to do when you are only a teenager. I think I have decided to become a music producer.

Rudy said:
And I might add--don't wait for a DVD-Audio version either. I'll bet money it doesn't happen. I think that format is pretty much dead now. DualDisc was supposed to take over for it (so there could be a DVD-A version on one side and CD on the other side), but thanks to all the player/disc problems, manufacturer warnings and bad press, DualDisc was pretty much stillborn. Unfortunately I don't know of any recent DVD-A releases, so it doesn't seem to look very good...although I'd like to be proven wrong. :confused:

I hope you are too. I've heard far more great-sounding DVD-Audio discs than SACD's. I've heard some truly awful SACD's but never have I heard a bad DVD-Audio disc. I know that has everything to do with the mastering and the mix engineer but I find that more than a little peculiar.

Ed

The deal that UMG has with Sony is allegedly this. Sony "helps" (i.e. $$$) UMG get the SACDs mixed and out there (apparently UMG's contracts with their artists get them around the multiple versions on one disc royalty problem), and as part of that deal, UMG is not allowed to market the HiRez/Surround music in a competing format for at least 90 days.

This means that if UMG decides to do DVD-A or DualDisc of The Carpenters Singles (or the Eltons, Claptons, etc.), they will not surface for at least 3 months.

One would expect that since these mixes are done and ready to rock, that creating the DVD-A/DualDisc would be fairly cost effective - providing there is still a market for them!

So, only time will tell.

BTW, I just got a the Elton John (self titled) SACD and I think it sounds pretty damn good. I think we should start a thread for the Eltons. Or is there one?

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Rudy said:

I hope you are too. I've heard far more great-sounding DVD-Audio discs than SACD's. I've heard some truly awful SACD's but never have I heard a bad DVD-Audio disc. I know that has everything to do with the mastering and the mix engineer but I find that more than a little peculiar.

Ed

We must buy different music: there are only a couple of my DVD-As I even play anymore; my SACDs are in a much greater rotation. Not surprisingly, I still play the dual-sided Doobie Bros. "Captain & Me" because I don't need to turn a TV on to select the 2-channel program.

raz42289 said:
BTW, I just got a the Elton John (self titled) SACD and I think it sounds pretty damn good. I think we should start a thread for the Eltons. Or is there one?

Nobody has started one yet--I only have Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on SACD but it sounds really nice...very close to the early pressing vinyl copy I have, warm and "analog" sounding. Start a thread on it if you'd like. :)

JonUrban said:
One would expect that since these mixes are done and ready to rock, that creating the DVD-A/DualDisc would be fairly cost effective - providing there is still a market for them!

For the Carpenters project it should be even easier--IIRC it was mixed in ProTools. I just hope the industry doesn't put a wet blanket over either format. :confused: Have you seen many other new DVD-A/DD releases come out over the past couple of months?

Maybe our buying patterns are different, Neil. I bought the most putrid rendering of "IV" by Toto some time back. That was the last SACD I purchased before I bought the Carpenters one. I also have SACD's by Billy Joel ("The Stranger"), Miles Davis, Steely Dan, etc, etc. and none of them thrill me.

My DVD-Audio discs, on the other hand, have almost never failed to impress. George Benson, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac and the myriad others I have - one and all great-sounding discs. The only one that's let me down so far is "8701" by Usher and, to be frank, I should have known better...LOL!

Ed

Ya'know? All I can say is that RC took the music from platinum to titanium. I've always heard the "sound" of Karen well. Here on SACD is every inflection and nuance, subtle and pronounced. Clearly this effort was a labor a love and devotion to his work and his sister's forever legacy.

Jeff

You know how we have always thought that the line "So I've made my mind up I must live my life alone and..." in Goodbye to Love that was included on the QUAD Singles 1969-1973 was the alternate?

Well, I have heard Goodbye to Love (center channel) and it turns out that was the original and not the alternate. If you listen closely on the SACD to the center channel, you will notice that line has a different presence and no piano. This "alternate" has appeared on every version except the QUAD and the 1985,1990 remixes.

My guess is that Richard went back and had Karen re-record that line for the single because he was unhappy with it. What is interesting is that you can hear the original piano in the center channel, except for this "alternate" line. That and the different presence leads me to believe that this was recorded at a different time and added in. You can also hear the adding together of both "ands" like the "I think I'm gonna be sad" of Ticket to Ride from both versions that is found on the QUAD version.

Since this is really confusing to take in, here is a simple conclusion.

What we have always thought to be the alternate take, was actually the original take.

I have always thought that the orignial version had the first take. What do I know? hehe Didn't Harry discover something similar on the 1973 version of Top Of The World?

Now Playing: Ashlee Simpson - Shadow

...discovering new things while picking apart songs, online...

I finally ordered the CD and can't wait to finally get it. It will be nice because I never bought the original singles Cd. Can't believe I'm getting the SACD version and don't have a player. lol

Unless I missed it, noone has mentioned how the CD itself sounds without the SACD features. How does the CD itself compare to other compilation CD's???

I hope it sounds as good if not better than the Essential Collection CD'S, I swear those CD's are like top of the line, best sounding CD's I have ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom