• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Things Julius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Fox

For the last year or so I have been buying up TJB clones and TJB tributes on vinyl. I am now in the process of recording them onto CDs.

A couple of nights ago, I started to record an LP entitled The Guitars of Tom Tedesco. Most such records don't include a list of the musical personnel, but this one did. It was like an A&M reunion: Pete Jolly on piano, Hal Blaine on drums, and Julius Wechter on percussion. Emil Richards is also listed on vibes and Jimmy Bond on bass.

I can't date this album, but I assume that it is post-TJB, since it includes Our Day Will Come, A Taste of Honey, and Brazil.

Another interesting thing I've come across is a photo of Julius with the Martin Denny Group (on the back of The Best of Martin Denny album). The picture appears to be posed in an Hawaiian setting. He is sitting on the floor, cross-legged and playing some type of exotic instrument.

I wanted to post a copy of this picture of a very young JW, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Phil

Hi Phil! If you want to post a photo, send it along and I'll take care of it. I just have to upload it to the server and point to it in a post here.

In my Dad's LP collection, I found an old Martin Denny that listed Julius in the credits. It may have been titled Exotica...but I'd have to check to be sure, once I find it again. (I have stuff from Dad's house scattered all over mine right now.)

That Tedesco album sounds neat though--I'll have to find it!

Phil Fox said:
Another interesting thing I've come across is a photo of Julius with the Martin Denny Group (on the back of The Best of Martin Denny album). The picture appears to be posed in an Hawaiian setting. He is sitting on the floor, cross-legged and playing some type of exotic instrument.

Hey Phil!

You're absolutely right about the photo of Julius with the Martin Denny Group. I have the same photo on a "Best Of" CD. Denny was one of Julius' earliest professional gigs. His signature sound can be heard on songs such as "Similau" and "Quiet Village". When we saw the Baja Marimba Band open for Sergio Mendes & Brasil '88 at the Circle Star back in '79, Julius spoke briefly and with great fondness of his days with the Denny group.

He and Sergio also traded good-natured jabs at one another. There were some flies on stage during Julius' set. I remember he stopped playing, leaned into his microphone, swatted a fly and deadpanned, "If I've told Sergio's girls once, I've told them a million times...lighter on the perfume!!" :tongue:

Jon

...with fond memories of Julius and Martin Denny, online...

I have uploaded the picture to you, Neil -- I hope correctly.

I noticed the evening I was working with this album that there were two copies of it for sale on eBay.

Jon, I only wish I could have seen that!

Sigh!!

Phil

Here 'tis! (Enhanced and resized to fit the forum. :D )

julius-and-martin.jpg

Phil Fox said:
For the last year or so I have been buying up TJB clones and TJB tributes on vinyl. I am now in the process of recording them onto CDs.

A couple of nights ago, I started to record an LP entitled The Guitars of Tom Tedesco. Most such records don't include a list of the musical personnel, but this one did. It was like an A&M reunion: Pete Jolly on piano, Hal Blaine on drums, and Julius Wechter on percussion. Emil Richards is also listed on vibes and Jimmy Bond on bass.

I can't date this album, but I assume that it is post-TJB, since it includes Our Day Will Come, A Taste of Honey, and Brazil.

I wanted to post a copy of this picture of a very young JW, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Phil

While it would be hard to date the album without actually seeing it, it's possible that it could have been released in the early '60's...OUR DAY WILL COME was written in late 1962, and ATOH was written about that time, too. Herb didn't record them when they first came out.

Dan, speculating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom