• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

This Masquerade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

This has to be one of my most favorite Carpenter songs. Richard arranged it and Karen played drums. Wow, it is such a classic song that never goes out of style.

Does this happen to anyone else here? This song was recorded in what 1973? Showed up on the Now & Then Lp.

But for me....I can never seem to get it out of my mind that this song reminds me so much of Karen & marriage to Tom. Why did Richard have to place this track on the Karen Carpenter Story during the time when she & Tom were walking in the door to her apartment & carrying luggage, the movie portrays they are growing apart & things are not working out. Everytime I hear it I think of this.

The lyrics to this song fit perfectly to a breakup & the heartache that goes with it. The song is beautifully arranged by Richard, the piano is exceptional.

To think that Karen recorded this when she wasn't even close to dating seriously with anyone but yet she delivers it like she was going through a break up in 1973. Karen is so amazing at that, being able to draw the listener in at anytime in her life and she still tugs at my heart even to this day with this same song. Man there music was amazing!!!!

I Can't Make Music from the same album does that to me. It's hauntingly beautiful. The verse where Karen sings "I know it's an old cliche' to say I feel I'm gonna die", now appears as tho it were prophetic. I love the listening to the song but like rainy days and Mondays it always gets me down.

Jeff

I don't know about Karen's personal life, so I cannot comment on that. However, "This Masquerade" has always been one of my favorites. I love the horn arrangement, the rhythm and Karen's heartfelt reading of the lyric. Definitely a classic.

Another recording that sticks with me is "Bless The Beasts And The Children".

Jon

After reading my post, I had to add one more Carpenters tune that really hits home with me: "Eve" is such a wonderful song. Talk about a haunting melody...classic Carpenters style...all the way across the board.

Hi Jon, Yeah, I don't know anything about Karen's personal life either, this was just the feeling that I got personally about everytime I listen to this song. Had Richard not interjected this song into the movie, "The Karen Carpenter Story", then I probably would not put the connection between her & Tom together at all. Richard seems to have made me put this connection together by placing this song into this movie that Richard was to have been apart of.

just my .02 cents :D

As a matter of fact, I was thinking of that scene from "The Karen Carpenter Story" when I read your post -- the one where she's at the party, outside on the terrace -- then having rice thrown at her as she becomes married. I remember that as if it was yesterday.

Jon

Definitely Karen's a natural master of drum! Years back I only listened to Karen's voice and but now I just let myself fall in her embrace and everything that she touched on. I also love the way she sang a vocal backup on a number of songs, one of my favs is "I have you".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom