This should have been a single! - 1 from each album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
I was cycling through all my Carpenters' tunes last night on a long ride home (didn't get 'em all but got many) and I heard singles that weren't issued as such. If I were in A&R at A&M, these are singles I would have chosen:

1. Ticket/Offering - "What's The Use?"
Nice, short tune that's got a strong hook an a decent Richard lead. Also, the backgrounds are quite strong.

2. Close To You - "I Kept On Loving You"
Another short tune that's very nice. The production works well here and I like the lyric. It's one of those "I did dirt but I knew you were the one for me regardless". Hey, it's honest and it's worded really well. Richard also makes me believe it with an unusually nice vocal. The harmonies - especially at the end - sell this one nicely. I just wish it weren't so short

3. Carpenters - "Let Me Be The One"
Shocker, I know. It almost was a single and it really should have been - simply on the strength of the wonderful b-section ("For love and understanding...) Karen is perfect here and the arrangement is nice. Like the last one, my only gripe is how short it is.

4. A Song For You
In truth, I think they called this one properly. The singles all make sense to me (even "It's Going...") Love the choices here and wouldn't have changed a thing.

5. Now and Then
Again, wouldn't change a thing about singles chosen. There are few choices because of the medley but I'm good with what was chosen.

6. Horizon - "Love Me For What I Am"
I absolutely love this tune. When Karen sings, "If what you want isn't natural for me", I totally believe her. I believe her throughout. Her voice is totally in the listener's lap on this tune and it's lyrically brilliant. The harmonies are out of this world. Great lesson for all of us who fall in love. If you can't love someone for who they are right then, let them go. The final "I must be free" is just heartbreaking.
Honorable mention: "Happy" - it's just a really...well...happy tune. Nice hooks in the chorus and the harmonies. Oh, those harmonies...

7. A Kind Of Hush - "You"
We've all said it. They blew it not issuing this as a single. Karen's lead is, of course, amazing, and the background vocals are as fantastic as ever. Tony Peluso's guitar lines help sell the whole thing too. To sum up the appeal of this tune, "You are one of the few things worth remembering". Why say anything more? This is the only tune in their catalog to actually reduce me to tears during the first few listens.

8. Passage - "B'wana She No Home"
This Michael Franks tune is so cool. The lyric makes Karen sound totally ice-y and she nails it. The "I want you to speak the English right..." is brilliant and Karen delivers it perfectly! The vocal arrangement - this time by the best vocal arranger who ever lived, Gene Puerling, is just killer. Richard wanted to change things up with this record and this tune, in particular, is an example of him totally getting it right. The band is killin' it and it grooves hard! How this got missed, I'll never know.

9. Made in America
Sorry, y'all, this one's too much of a dog. They chose the best stuff and put it out - although "Beechwood" makes me cringe. There's nothing else to see here. Had I been in A&R, I would have sent them back to the studio to fix this mess. You can't sell an album on the back of one "ok" tune ("Touch Me...") They tried and it failed miserably. Most of the outtakes were better than what made the record. As such, no other single choices from me.

10. Voice Of The Heart - "Prime Time Love"
It was likely too late after "MIA" to fix things but I would have tried with this tune. It's uptempo, Karen's into it, and I like Richard's backgrounds a lot. Really nice tune that didn't get the attention that it deserved. He instead decided to "take some loneliness and add a tear or two" and it didn't work.

Okay, what are your choices?

Ed

1. Ticket/Offering - For me, stopping at "Ticket" was wise.
2. Close To You - "Baby It's You" - powerful beginning to end. Another "Hurting Each Other" but with a great sax solo.
3. Carpenters - "Let Me Be the One"- ditto your sentiments, Ed.
4. A Song For You- no more singles.
5. Now and Then- Something entirely different than what was on the album. Closest choice would be extended "Our Day Will Come", but even it was too Easy Listening and not Top 10 friendly.
6. Horizon - Ditto Ed here, too. I LOVE "Desperado" but after "Solitaire, it'd be too much drag.
7. A Kind Of Hush - nothing and definitely not "Goofus".
8. Passage - "I Just Fall in Love Again"- new arrangement without the choir.
9. Made in America - "Strength of a Woman". I know many fans don't care for it, but it was the strongest cut after "Touch Me". Shades of "Superstar" at the opening.
10. Voice Of The Heart -No more.

Creative topic fun! I'm just gonna do this top o my head.

1. EVE
2.MAYBE IT"S YOU
3. LET ME BE THE ONE
4.. ROAD ODE it's rock appeal ties in with the Peluso Fuzz guitar in GTL.
5. I CAN'T MAKE MUSIC
6. LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM
7. BOAT TO SAIL
8. TWO SIDES
9. WHEN YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES
10. ORDINARY FOOL

So far, we're all in for "Love Me..." from "Horizon". I wonder how it got missed. Great tune and Karen breaks your heart with it.

I'm not much on "Strength...", though the Thom Bell "Betcha By Golly Wow" nod at the beginning is kinda cool. I just don't like it lyrically. It also very much feels like "Touch Me..." sideways.

"I Just Fall In Love Again" is just so produced. Way too much going on in what should be an intimate song. Richard took the kitchen sink and threw it into the elevator. Sometimes less is more and he doesn't always seem to believe that.

Love "Ordinary Fool" but I'm not sure it'd be much of a single. It's without question one of Karen's finest vocal performances, though, so maybe "djn"'s right on that one.

Interesting choices - one and all. Keep 'em coming!

Ed

1. TICKET TO RIDE - "All of My Life"
2. CLOSE TO YOU - "Baby It's You"
3. CARPENTERS - "One Love"
4. A SONG FOR YOU - "A Song for You"
5. NOW AND THEN - "This Masquerade"
6. HORIZON - "Happy"
7. A KIND OF HUSH - "You"
8. PASSAGE - "I Just Fall in Love Again"
9. MADE IN AMERICA - "When It's Gone"
10. VOICE OF THE HEART - "Ordinary Fool"
11. LOVELINES - "Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night"

I like "All My Life" for a single. It's not in the elevator and Karen sings it beautifully. The strings are tasteful without going too far and the lyric works well for radio back then. I love "This Masquerade" but I'm not sure it would have to have been edited for radio and I'd likely hate the result. "Kiss Me...", while a great tune, would never have gotten on the radio in 1989. It was way too soft for what was happening then. It's got one foot in the elevator because of the orchestration Richard was insistent on using for everything.

Ed

Great thread! My list…oh, and for whatever reason, I’ve decided to stick to albums released during Karen’s lifetime:

1. TICKET TO RIDE - “Someday.” I know Karen wasn’t pleased with her vocal on this one, but I love it. I always have, since I first heard it back in the early 1980’s. And they could have remixed it for single release, right? Sidebar: since I have a toddler at home now, the first line has taken on new meaning for me: “Someday, rested from hours of sleeping…” Ha! Maybe “someday…” A close second for me would have been “All Of My Life.” A musical balm for that tumultuous fall/winter, 1969.
2. CLOSE TO YOU - “Maybe It’s You.” After three covers as their first singles, why not introduce the world to the Carpenter/Bettis songwriting team with this underappreciated ballad from their sophomore effort? The song would have been right at home along with other ballady, Billboard hits from that time frame, like “One Less Bell To Answer,” “Your Song,” and “It’s Impossible,” to name but a few. This one would have easily been a top 5 smash.
3. CARPENTERS - “Let Me Be The One.” Had this been released in January, 1972, it would have put the "last single release" from the Tan Album out at the same time, B-side, “Bless The Beasts…” was rising up the charts, but “Let Me Be The One" had great potential and “Beasts” was an accidental, moderate hit, anyway (if not a fun sneak preview of their next album).
4. A SONG FOR YOU - “Road Ode” This beautiful, solemn song about life on the road would have been a left-turn from what folks might have expected from the duo as well as served a welcome respite from the crap on the radio in the summer of 1973, with the biggest offenders being “Playground Of My Mind,” the oblivious (and I love Jim Croce!) “Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown,” and “Get Down.”
5. NOW AND THEN - "This Masquerade.” This is one of my all-time favorite Carpenters songs. I remember the first time I heard this track, it was in the winter of 1984, and a DJ played it on our local “musak” station that my mother always listened to. I had just started going through my sister’s stack of Carpenters LPs and hadn’t come across this one, yet. I asked her, “is this Karen Carpenter?” Of course it was. I immediately found the Now And Then album and wore out the threads of that particular track. Beautiful.
6. HORIZON - “Desperado.” Instead of “Solitaire,” this should have been the next release after the sublime, top five, “Only Yesterday.” Folks (including RC) tend to give demerits to Horizon for being “draggy” or a bit gloomy, but I disagree. Some of the greatest albums of all time carry the same mood throughout (e.g., Dark Side Of The Moon, 2:00AM Paradise Cafe, Norah Jones, Sea Change, etc.). But regardless, “Desperado” is an amazing song, and Karen’s rendering, the definitive version to my ear, would have made this a top-ten single that fall.
7. A KIND OF HUSH - “One More Time.” Instead of “Goofus” as a single (as has been a recent thread), this one should have been the September 1976 follow-up to the criminally under-performing “I Need To Be In Love.” It’s morose and magnificent. Additionally, it would have been a welcome relief from the radio hits that autumn, including the horrific, “Disco Duck,” “(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty,” and “One Love In My Lifetime.”
8. PASSAGE - "I Just Fall in Love Again.” If released in May, 1978, this release would have pre-dated Anne Murray’s #12 hit by one year and would have easily gone as high on the Billboard chart, if not higher. Sidebar: I’ve always thought Karen Carpenter and Anne Murray has similar voices. Love them both.
9. TENTH ANNIVERSARY SINGLE: “You’re The One” (April, 1979). Since Richard and Karen were releasing non-album singles at this point (“I Believe You”), why not release a song that would have been a smash hit in this particular time frame? Would this song not have fit PERFECTLY with the other hits of that era, most notably, “Stumblin’ In,” “Reunited,” “Love Is The Answer,” and “Honesty,” to name just a few? I have to confess, this song is the most tragically overlooked in their catalogue.
10. MADE IN AMERICA - Agree with others that the rest of this album was probably not hit material, but “When It’s Gone” is a favorite of mine. Also, a remixed “I Believe You” (Stop it! Let me finish!) with an “edgier” arrangement, a la John Farrar, might have made a dent on the AOR chart that fall.

Ed, what an excellent topic! I purposefully avoided reading the other posts before composing my own list because I didn't want to be influenced by others. I look forward to reading them all!

Ticket to Ride: Someday. This is my personal favorite from this album. I know that Karen wasn't happy with her performance, but to me it has a majestic feel, and radio at that time might have embraced it.

Close to You: I Kept on Loving You. Baby It's You has its own lofty merits, but I think I Kept on Loving You would have been a great choice. With Richard as the lead vocalist, it would have the novelty factor going for it. It's a short song, but it is catchy. It would also have given Richard more, much desired respect, as the buying public was most interested in the lead vocalist in virtually any hit song. Richard would have been seen as much more than "the piano player for the Carpenters." Finally, it's undoubtedly a great song, and Karen does an expert job as backing vocalist.

Carpenters
: Let Me Be the One. This is widely considered "the one that got away," even by Richard himself. This was a golden period in the Carpenters' career, so virtually anything would have been successful. This song just has all the elements of a typical Carpenters' chart topper!

A Song for You
: A Song for You. What wasn't a single from this album? A Song for You has become a classic (see also This Masquerade below), covered by many an aspiring singer, including several from "American Idol." Since Karen's untimely passing, the lyrics have become poignant, yet this song has a "signature song" feel to it. As noted in other threads, I (among others here) have some configuration of this song's title as our car's personalized license tag. Would I do that for Goofus or Beechwood? :)

Now and Then
: This Masquerade. There is not a lot to choose from here... But This Masquerade has become a classic on its own merits, notwithstanding its status as an album cut. This song, in wider release, would have further given Carpenters additional street cred with jazz enthusiasts. Honorable mention goes to Heather, already familiar as music from a commercial (Geritol), it would have lent additional variety (instrumental) to the Carpenters' portfolio, but This Masquerade is a masterpiece that shouldn't be ignored! (Not along the lines of Fatal Attraction's Glenn Close, but prominent nonetheless!)

Horizon
: Happy. To me, this is an excellent album from start to finish. So much to choose from, "so much of life ahead." Like Pharrell's ubiquitous, recent song with the same name, the Carpenters' Happy is catchy, feel-good, and fun, a sort of Top of the World redo, if you will.

A Kind of Hush
: You. One of my all-time favorites of the Carpenters. This much maligned (not by me, mind you) album has its gems, and this one is stellar. It's romantic, filled with tender lyrics, and has a wedding-song aura.

Passage: Two Sides. As I mentioned in a recent thread, I think Two Sides was a big missed opportunity, which, if released on the heels of Sweet Sweet Smile, would have solidified the Carpenters' foray into country music. Sure, they could have returned to their "roots" later, if you will. If Passage was an experiment, then Two Sides was a charming sure winner!

Made in America
: Strength of a Woman. Five songs from this album were released as singles, including I Believe You, which preceded the album's release by 3 years. And yet the missed opportunity was Strength of a Woman. Perhaps no song other than Touch Me When We're Dancing would have made a dent on the charts. But this somewhat soulful song evokes a glimpse into Karen's solo work.

Voice of the Heart
: Sailing on the Tide. I have always liked this up tempo song whose lyrics evoke a fun time. On its own merits, it would have made a great single. To me, it's akin to Top of the World and Happy.

This topic characterizes the missed opportunities. Sure, the Carpenters had many successful singles releases, of which they can be proud. Yet it's easy (perhaps) and fun (assuredly) to consider what else might have been...:)

Last edited:
Previous postings have pretty much summed -up all the good points.
Very little of substance for me to add.
Great commentary, all!
Here is my brief run-through:
All of My Life, a beautiful three-minute song.
Baby It's You, clocking in at 2:50, a real gem of a pop song.
(A Place to) Hideaway, not much to say, I just enjoy the song.
A Song For You, has all the elements of brilliance--at 4:42-- stretching it a bit for 1972 45-vinyl, perhaps (?)
Nothing from Now & Then, although I love "I Can't Make Music" (more so than This Masquerade !)
Love Me For What I Am, this Palma Pascale tune is a winner.
One More Time, from Hush, no Chorale on this one. ("You" is a favorite, though)
Two Sides, Great song written by Mac Davis. (Karen hits this out of the ball-park.)
Skip anything else from MIA,
I love "Strength of A Woman" and "When It's Gone", but as they stand I would not release either as a single in 1981.
Ordinary Fool, perhaps a tad slow for a 1983 single, still memorable, Karen and Paul Williams.

Ticket To Ride: I'm going with All of My Life here, though I think there are a few songs that could have been strong singles - like Don't Be Afraid, Eve, and maybe even Get Together.

Close To You: Definitely Maybe It's You. It compliments both CTY and WOJB really well.

Carpenters: Let Me Be the One - it just has a great hook.

A Song For You: I'll say Road Ode on this one. It was a more serious track, which I think they needed to get out into the universe at that time.

Now and Then: Though this album is my least favorite, I think a full version of End of the World from the medley would have been a nice touch. It suited Karen's voice well and was a familiar tune.

Horizon: One of life's greatest mysteries to me will always be - Why was Happy never released as a single??? It was so perfect for radio. Huge missed opportunity there. I also would have kicked Desperado off the album in favor of Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again - which I think would have been another massive hit for the Carpenters.

A Kind of Hush: Can't Smile Without You. Hands down. Time would prove A&M made a big mistake in not releasing this song. The same will go for the next album.

Passage: I Just Fall In Love Again - again, time would prove it was a mistake to not release this one. This song and CSWY could have turned around the career decline in a serious way.

Made in America: I don't much care for this album, but I'll say Strength of a Woman. The title alone gives Karen most assertiveness.

Voice of the Heart: I think You're Enough had the best of both worlds. It was in line with what was playing on A/C radio in the early 80s but it had a classic Carpenters sound.

Lovelines: It may not have been a great single choice, but I love Where Do I Go From Here. I don't know that it would have been well received in 1989, but I love it still.

As Time Goes By: I don't think there is a good single choice here. I think this album should remain a nice collection of rarities.

Hi Jeremy. Welcome to the site. That's the nice thing about new members. . .you get to revisit topics from long ago.

TICKET TO RIDE - I agree with the choice of TTR, but recently Turn Away has become a favourite for me.

CLOSE TO YOU - You couldn't have played the singles choice better. . .obviously. . .but I always think that the descision to release these two "conservative" songs forever altered the path of the Carpenters. Due to the success of these 2 songs, the likes of Love is Surrender, Another Song, Mr Guder etc. . .would never again be tackled by the duo, and in effect a key part of their charm and essence would be curtailed.

It's a shame, but Karen was born to sing ballads. . .it's just a fact. . .so there really was no other way for Richard to go. . .you HAD to showcase the voice.

Still, I'd have liked ANOTHER SONG released along-side the other 2. . .it wouldn't have been as successful, but it most likely would have got into the top 20.

CARPENTERS - Let Me Be the One, but perfect selection already

AS4U- A Song 4 U instead of It's Gonna Take Some Time, but again. . .perfect choices.

NOW AND THEN - All Good here.

HORIZON - Here is where the problems started for their single releases. . . tied in with fatigue and depression from both parties.

It also seems, in hindsight, that Radio Stations by '75 were just looking for excuses to drop the Carpenters from their line-ups. . . way UNCOOL and all that. So when Solitaire and Goofus popped up. . . .that was it.

First off, they should have had an album out in '74. . . .everyone knows that. . .but instead of Solitaire, they should have gone with HAPPY. . .considering AKOH got to 12 6 months later, this song surely would have broken the top 10.

AKOH - I Need to be in Love deserved to go top 10. . .maybe only 8/9, but top 10 none-the-less. Then YOU instead of GOOFUS, which, with a remix, could have got to around 12, I reckon.

PASSAGE. . .great selections. . . .AYGFLIALS. . . top 5, what were radio stations and the public thinking back then. Occupants got to 9 in the UK, it should have done in the US too.. . . .Shame they couldn't have played the video during Star Wars trailers. PLUS, should have recorded Disney Rescuers Song "Someone's Waiting for You" instead of releasing SWEET SWEET SMILE, which I think would have gone top 5 in dec '77.

MIA - Touch Me. . . had anyone else come out with this sound and this 3 1/2 minute song in mid '81 , it would have gone top 5. . . .it's pure ear candy. Want You needed a remix for the single, bringing her voice WAY further up in the mix. . . and it could've got into the low teens, I reckon. TGOD and BEECHWOOD should never have been released as singles. KISS ME should have been featured in the album and released with a remix in place of TGOD. . .again with Karen's voice brought much more upfront. I know it's similar in title and concept to Touch Me. . .but. . . .so what. And with their block harmonies I think it could've gotten into the low teens.

1983 ALBUM(in dreams) - In LOve Alone - No 3 in April '83. . . .said it before and will say it again, this song is SOOOOO commercial. I'm Still Not Over You - No 7 July '83.

OK, all done. Futile. . . as has been pointed out before. . .but fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom