Carpenters songs with all-Richard backgrounds

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
I was just listening to “Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore” and the sound of his backgrounds is VERY nice, though the tune feels overproduced to me. I’ve always loved his vocal arrangements and with just his voice, the results are very different from Karen & Richard. The sound is every bit as effective though.

What are your favorite all-Richard background tunes?

Ed

‘Prime Time Love’ I can’t stand - the backing vocals are way too ‘dry’. I think it’s the way they’re mixed, there’s zero reverb. ‘Leave Yesterday Behind’ is nice but marred in places by the over-expressive pronunciation.

‘Your Baby’ works really well with the big production on the track, but I have two favourites. ‘Tryin’ To Get The Feeling Again’ is one - everything about that song and recording is perfect. Richard’s background vocals are understated and perfectly mixed with the track. The other is ‘Something In Your Eyes’ - his vocals really lift the track to a new height at the key change.

Last edited:
... ‘Leave Yesterday Behind’ is nice but marred in places by the over-expressive pronunciation.
LYB does not appear to be "marred" in any way to me, by "over-expressive pronunciation" or anything else - I don't hear that - I do hear a highly literate song nicely arranged by Richard (that plaintive harmonica from RAINY DAYS... is back in action) and beautifully sung by Karen in her usual sweet, evocative style - and background vocals that sync perfectly but not obtrusively...all in all, one of their most pleasant and listenable and underrated recordings.

LYB does not appear to be "marred" in any way to me, by "over-expressive pronunciation" or anything else - I don't hear that - I do hear a highly literate song nicely arranged by Richard (that plaintive harmonica from RAINY DAYS... is back in action) and beautifully sung by Karen in her usual sweet, evocative style - and background vocals that sync perfectly but not obtrusively...

I was thinking more about Richard’s background vocals than Karen’s lead.

I was just listening to “Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore” and the sound of his backgrounds is VERY nice, though the tune feels overproduced to me. I’ve always loved his vocal arrangements and with just his voice, the results are very different from Karen & Richard. The sound is every bit as effective though.

What are your favorite all-Richard background tunes?

Ed
I've often wondered about the background vocals on this.... whether some of the production from the Made in America sessions had included the background vocals? This song off Voice of the Heart is a personal favourite of mine too.

I've often wondered about the background vocals on this.... whether some of the production from the Made in America sessions had included the background vocals? This song off Voice of the Heart is a personal favourite of mine too.

The tell-tale sign that the background vocals were not laid down in 1980/1981 is that Karen isn’t on them at all. Had the track got fully completed in 1981, Karen would for sure have sung those parts with Richard, as she did on all the other tracks on ‘Made In America’ that required background vocals.

All that would have been laid down in 1980-1981 was the basic rhythm track e.g. bass, piano, drums. The embellishments came later - Richard had to go back into the studio to finish off production (adding woodwinds, guitar solos, orchestration etc) for 9 out of 10 of the tracks that made it onto ‘Voice Of The Heart’.

Back
Top Bottom