Those Good Old Dreams

There is always a lot of "if only" talk. "If only they'd have done this or that, they would have continued to have hits. But the fact is that every artist, band, singer or what-have-you has their peak and then their career of 'hits' comes to an end. They might still be able to pack stadiums but they're not connecting anymore with the youth -- which is who buys the most music.

I remember John Denver being on the Tonight Show once long ago...he was curious why his new records weren't selling like the old ones did. So finally he asked a woman who was getting an autograph at one of his shows, "Do you have my new album?" She replied that she didn't, and said "I've already got 12 of your albums, I guess I don't need any more."

I think that’s a really good point, Mike.

Interestingly, I went to see a Carpenters tribute act earlier this year. It was sold out and everyone was really enjoying it, but when the singer asked who had the RPO album only three people (including myself) actually raised their hands. Most just looked blank. Yet, there they were and I imagine had they the chance to see the actual Carpenters they’d have been there without a doubt. I know it’s slightly different with the latest album being new versions of old songs, but the John Denver story just reminded me of that night.

I don't think that is correct. Olivia's manager from 1979 - 1986 was Roger Davies. I'm pretty sure Richard and Karen were still being managed by Jerry Weintraub in 1981.
Ah, I was remembering on the show Karen saying something like Olivia and Karen were invited to dinner by a mutual friend - their manager. But I’m just going from memory. Haven’t watched it in a long time. I know you’re right about Jerry Weintraub. I assumed he was Olivia’s manager, too.

There was still a fair dash of easy listening in the Top 10:- ‘Endless Love’ and ‘Lady’ - and although ‘Keep On Loving You’ was termed ‘Rock’ at the time, it’s fairly easy listening rock. There are also a few cross-over country artists on the Top 10 - Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Eddie Rabbit - who, on the whole, were also into gentler, lighter, non-trendy stuff, in the way that Karen and Richard were. I do agree with you, though. There was a wave of New Romantics, New Wave, post-punk, gothic rock and electronic stuff coming in, (maybe not as much post-punk and gothic rock on the US charts at that time as in other places), and Karen and Richard were worlds away from all that.

Back
Top Bottom