Thoughts on Richard's voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanDela

We all know Karen had a very soothing and beautiful silky voice, (aside from perfect pitch), but I've heard little opinions about Richard's voice. So what are your thoughts on him?

I think it's not as bad as some other people say, I'd even say it actually sounded kinda good (when he was young). He reached every note he sang and his vocal timbre wasn't too bad itself. Maybe with a little more voice training he could have reached a wider vocal range and sound better.

But that's just me, so let me know your opinions!

I've always enjoyed the sound of Richard's voice. True, it's not awe-inspiring like his sister's was, but I've found it pleasant. And I love how gave an added dimension to the Carpenters' vocal sound, whether he sang lead or backup, or even better, the way his voice blended with Karen's!

Speaking of which, I do hope if it's true Richard recorded lead vocals for a couple of Carpenters songs in the early 1980s, as mentioned in one of the fan club newsletters that someday they'll be released. That and the solo versions of "The Very Thought Of You" and "When I Take My Sugar To Tea," which he recorded in the mid-1980s. I've only heard snippets of those last 2 tracks, but what I heard from Richard sounded wonderful!

We all know Karen had a very soothing and beautiful silky voice, (aside from perfect pitch), but I've heard little opinions about Richard's voice. So what are your thoughts on him?

I think it's not as bad as some other people say, I'd even say it actually sounded kinda good (when he was young). He reached every note he sang and his vocal timbre wasn't too bad itself. Maybe with a little more voice training he could have reached a wider vocal range and sound better.

But that's just me, so let me know your opinions!

His moments of passable singing are just that...moments. Mostly, his voice is thin and weak. His intonation is fine but his lead range was always limited. He had no business singing any lead at all when Karen was at his disposal.

Ed

Would I take a Karen lead over one by Richard? Yes. But I think he's a great background singer and on occasion, has a good voice for a lead vocal. "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" and "I Kept on Loving You" come to mind. I enjoyed the variety he brought to their albums.

That's what I missed on the later albums - variety. It seemed like if it wasn't a castanet oldie, it was a slow ballad. Early albums had the occasional Richard lead, or even trade-off leads, and plenty of lush harmonies. I love Karen's vocals as much as anyone, but too much of the same thing wears me down.

The issue I have with most of the leads Richard did as part of Carpenters was the fact he doubled them. Doubtless done to hide the fact his voice was quite thin but it actually accentuates the vocal weakness and makes them sound muddy, rather than strengthening his overall lead vocal sound. He took the doubling (and additional effects) on his vocals to another level on Time.

I remember buying their albums frenetically in 1990 after I discovered and fell in love with “Only Yesterday” on the radio one day, and at that stage had little understanding of which album had followed which. I distinctly remember listening to the tracks on Close To You, which had some RC leads and that still very innocent sound, and then putting the Lovelines CD on straight after. I was blown away by the sophistication of the opening track of that album compared to what I’d just heard. It sounded like it was recorded in 1990.

Last edited:
I will confess that I liked his version of "Daddy's Home" and have always appreciated "I Kept on Loving You" and felt it had Top 20 hit potential if it was a little longer in duration. :)

This was posted at just the right time - I’ve just started listening to Richard’s Time album for the first time, so I’ve been hearing him sing lead a lot. “Something In Your Eyes” is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs right now.

On the whole, I don’t mind Richard’s voice - I think that it has a unique feel and tone - but I think he was better off remaining a backing vocalist. Of course, you can’t have Carpenters without those signature harmonies complete with RC’s voice! His voice was very good for that purpose. But I don’t think it was really meant for the lead mic, something that Richard himself acknowledged, which is probably why after “Offering,” he let Karen take over for basically all of the leads.

However, there were certain songs that just needed a different tone. Take “Piano Picker,” for instance. I just don’t think that song would have really worked for Karen’s voice (disregarding the fact that it would be irrelevant to her anyway, since it’s about someone who plays the piano). So, I think that song was better with Richard singing the lead. But overall, I’d say he made the right decision.

I find that Richard’s backup vocals complimented Karen’s flawless lead vocals in a very comforting, dulcet way. I guess Richards's tone just has a relaxing effect on me.

As far as his leads two of my favorites are What’s the Use (Side Two-track 3 (2:32) from Offering/Ticket to Ride SP4032) and Daddy’s Home (Disc Two- no. 9 of the live Oldies Medley from Live in Japan (1:50) GSW 301/2 (LP), D50Y3155 (CD).

I heard this vocal below from 2018 and thought to myself that Richard’s voice cannot be measured at times, but rather just enjoyed for what it is. And in the words of Harry, I’m sticking to that. This one brought a tear (or ten) to my eyes.

Both Karen and Richard had relative pitch.

From what I understand having relative pitch is better, at least in their case. Here is a snippet.

"Is relative pitch better than perfect pitch?

In fact, most musicians say that having good Relative Pitch is more important than having Perfect Pitch because singing melodies is all about knowing your intervals (i.e the distance between two notes) – which is what Relative Pitch is all about. Relative Pitch goes a lot further than Perfect Pitch as well"

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed the sound of Richard's voice. True, it's not awe-inspiring like his sister's was, but I've found it pleasant. And I love how gave an added dimension to the Carpenters' vocal sound, whether he sang lead or backup, or even better, the way his voice blended with Karen's!

Speaking of which, I do hope if it's true Richard recorded lead vocals for a couple of Carpenters songs in the early 1980s, as mentioned in one of the fan club newsletters that someday they'll be released. That and the solo versions of "The Very Thought Of You" and "When I Take My Sugar To Tea," which he recorded in the mid-1980s. I've only heard snippets of those last 2 tracks, but what I heard from Richard sounded wonderful!
This ^^^^^^^

Honestly, the man’s a genius and helped bring one of the world’s most beloved voices to public attention. He’s earned the right to grow, experiment, succeed or fail. I’m thankful for his musical contributions to my life.
And this. ^^^^^^^^ Enough said.

Speaking of which, I do hope if it's true Richard recorded lead vocals for a couple of Carpenters songs in the early 1980s, as mentioned in one of the fan club newsletters that someday they'll be released. That and the solo versions of "The Very Thought Of You" and "When I Take My Sugar To Tea," which he recorded in the mid-1980s.

You have to hand it to him, he and Karen had great taste in music. That latter song mentioned is new to me but a real gem. Can’t see it sitting amongst the tracks on Time somehow though :laugh:

@newvillefan - I've enjoyed that LP for decades - also this one by the guy whose voice was as silky smooth, relaxing and as listenable as someone else's we know so very well...if only Richard had sounded anywhere near as good as this...

He's many nautical miles from this. Not even worth discussing. Now Karen on the other hand...

Ed

He's many nautical miles from this. Not even worth discussing. Now Karen on the other hand...

Ed
There were certain "old school" singers that had the kind of tone & style that matched up very closely with Karen's- we saw some brief glimpses of that in a delightful way in the duets she did with Perry & Ella (which left us yearning for more!) - Nat King Cole would have been another near perfect fit for her & an album of duets would have been incredible - if only...

In a certain way to a certain extent it seems that she was born maybe 15 or 20 years too late...

If you do an Internet search for When I Take My Sugar To Tea Richard Carpenter you should see a link to the Facebook page Close to the Carpenters and you can hear Richard's take on this classic song there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom