• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tijuana Brass vs. Baja Marimba Band(poll)

Who's your favorite? (Brass or Bajas)

• Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • The Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Haven't heard the Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love them both the same

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky1

Since I'm putting this under the Tijuana Brass thread, the results may be skewed. I'm curious as to who else has an appreciation for the Baja Marimba crew. I was introduced to the Brass many years ago, and have always been a fan. I was only introduced to the BMB 3 or 4 years ago.

After many hours of listening, I think I prefer the Baja Marimba Band(I know, it's heresy). I find the marimba much more listenable for longer periods of time than the trumpet. I will admit, the Lost Treasures cd was a pleasant surprise. I often find that my favorite TB songs feature a prominent marimba. I truly hope that someone releases the BMB material. I haven't bought any of their albums, but I think I'll try to pick them up on ebay.

Michael H.

I'd bet the majority here at least have a deep affection for the BMB if not a musical preference. I know I'm in that category. I like the TJB's music better, but both bands are great listening.

While you're waiting for reissues, there are currently a few Baja CD packages available. There's 3-disk set on Collectibles (I think) with 30 songs, and a single disk comp on Collectors Choice with around 25 songs (give or take a few). There is also an import package that has many of the same tunes as the Collector's Choice set, but the song selection on the CC set is better. You should be able to get any or all of these from Amazon or GEMM through the links here at the Corner.

Reissues of the real albums would sure be better though because many, MANY great album tracks haven't been put on any of those compilations. There is an effort afoot right now to make it happen, so stay tuned! :)

I'd like for CC or someone to reissue the BMB as 2-for-1 discs as follows:

SP 104 with 109;
4113 with 4118;
4123 with 4136;
4150 with 4167;
4200 with 4298 ....

.... PLUS a "LOST TREASURES" package of BMB's own with some non-LP singles such as:

"Can You Dig It (Parts 1 and 2)"
"Picasso Summer"
"Brasilia" (single uptempo version)
"Wincle Lamoyan Coan"
.... with any other bonus trax floating around out there.

Alternatively, the non-LP singles could be added 2 or 3 at a time to the 2-for-1s, as was done with some Ventures reissues.

Oops, nearly forgot:

BMB's BACK with NATURALLY (non-A&M)
NEW DEAL (probably due for reissue after 15 years now)

JB

LPJim said:
I'd like for CC or someone to reissue the BMB as 2-for-1 discs

JB

Great idea from a fellow East Tennessean. Also, thanks for the recommendation Mike. I have the Collectors Choice cd. I've seen the 3 disc set on ebay but have put off buying it. I absolutely love the entire disc. After many repeated listenings, it is still as enjoyable, if not more.

Collector's Choice really pulls some obscure albums for reissue....I love getting their catalog.

Michael H.

Well, my BMB listening has been a "curio" to say the least... I seem to have found a lot of Baja Marimba Band records sitting along with Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/'77 in the flea markets and used record places, too...

Tried a few albums, that my cats seemed to love (I'm not kidding, one even DANCED to 'em!) and they were on vinyl, as well as 8-track tape, and they (or at least one) seemed to be so intrigued with the way the 8-track tape player worked... Well, I sure won't have any pets that enjoy BMB (and TjB) again, like those did...! :cat:

Yes, I prefer Herb to Julius, but I think as the latter does get reissued, the "two-fer idea" would be good...

...who did get into "A&M's founding acts", at one time or another...

Dave

That three-cd Baja set was from Timeless Music. Their website for ordering direct (and avoiding eBay) is here.

The Collectors' Choice disc is still available through amazon, but the Japanese import is listed as "out of stock".

Harry
...with all three and wanting more, online...

LPJim said:
I'd like for CC or someone to reissue the BMB as 2-for-1 discs as follows:

SP 104 with 109;
4113 with 4118;
4123 with 4136;
4150 with 4167;
4200 with 4298 ....

.... PLUS a "LOST TREASURES" package of BMB's own with some non-LP singles such as:

"Can You Dig It (Parts 1 and 2)"
"Picasso Summer"
"Brasilia" (single uptempo version)
"Wincle Lamoyan Coan"
.... with any other bonus trax floating around out there.

Alternatively, the non-LP singles could be added 2 or 3 at a time to the 2-for-1s, as was done with some Ventures reissues.

Oops, nearly forgot:

BMB's BACK with NATURALLY (non-A&M)
NEW DEAL (probably due for reissue after 15 years now)

JB
Perhaps a new interest in Herb Alpert will spark a BMB revival. I think it may be UNIs only way to compete with the new TJB rereleases. How ironic! :laugh:

I voted that I liked them the same, but that isn't exactly true. Some days I'm TJB and others I'm BMB. Generally I prefer TJB and listen to them much more, but I just couldn't vote and leave BMB out.

I have bought TJB records since Going Places! and BMB since Heads UP! For me, Back to Cuernavaca is right up there with any early TJB tune. As time went on, I think the TJB aged better. BMB moved more toward jazz which is not really high on my musical list -- kind of like many of Herb's solo albums.

Can't hardly imagine a world without either of these bands.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom