• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Tijuana Express"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefandaystrom

Recently there was an item on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2502283198) which was a strange double CD called "The World of James Last & Herb Alpert". Looking at the scan of the back, you could tell in small print that a different cover group did the CD of James Last songs (First Brass Orchestra) than the CD of Herb titles (Tijuana Starband). The Herb disc is a mix of mostly TJB but some solo (for example, after "Mexican Road Race" you get "Diamonds"). But one title I don't recognize: "Tijuana Express". (I know about Sauerkraut and Taxi, of course.) Am I just going senile?

stefandaystrom said:
Recently there was an item on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2502283198) which was a strange double CD called "The World of James Last & Herb Alpert". Looking at the scan of the back, you could tell in small print that a different cover group did the CD of James Last songs (First Brass Orchestra) than the CD of Herb titles (Tijuana Starband). The Herb disc is a mix of mostly TJB but some solo (for example, after "Mexican Road Race" you get "Diamonds"). But one title I don't recognize: "Tijuana Express". (I know about Sauerkraut and Taxi, of course.) Am I just going senile?

I dunno, do marshmallows seem sharp to you? I don't remember any such title...without hearing the CD, I can only speculate that the song in question might be an original, or maybe something that might be confused with another title in the country of origin, or there might be a copyright issue...or, it could just be a "typo"...

Dan

Without knowing more, the CD almost sounds like a bootleg. AFAIK, Alpert has never been paired with another artist in this manner. And song title is probably a misprint, or maybe it's a non-TJB tune for all we know.

If I were at all interested, I'd call the seller's bluff and ask for a label and catalog number.

Time for some pizza...

stefandaystrom said:
The Herb disc is a mix of mostly TJB but some solo (for example, after "Mexican Road Race" you get "Diamonds"). But one title I don't recognize: "Tijuana Express". (I know about Sauerkraut and Taxi, of course.) Am I just going senile?

Since the music was performed by another band, it's possible that they just added a song called "Tijuana Express", despite the fact Herb never recorded it. It's similar to what Peter Nero did and what the Living Brass did in their tributes to Herb. That would be my guess.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom