• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captaindave

OK, guys, I'm going to ask a question that no doubt has been answered somewhere here in the past, but for some reason I can't find it...

I have heard or read that there are videos of the TJB from the sixties...especially the Beat of the Brass TV special...

Now here's the question - and I'm sure there is an answer here if I could find it - where can these be found/purchased?

:)

Captaindave said:
I have heard or read that there are videos of the TJB from the sixties...especially the Beat of the Brass TV special...

Now here's the question - and I'm sure there is an answer here if I could find it - where can these be found/purchased?

They seem to always be available on eBay. That's where I got mine, although it's not a great copy.

Capt. Bacardi

I recently purchased a copy of The Beat Of The Brass video from www.kinevideo.net and it was obviously taken from the master tape as it has placements to insert commercial breaks for television. The overall video quality & sound is absolutely fantastic, considering the age of this special :)

Also, this site has 3 other TV variety videos from the 60's that feature Herb & the TJB. I haven't gotten around to purchasing them yet, but will in the near future.

Unfortunately, what this site doesn't offer (and I wish they did) is an excellent copy of The Brass Are Comin' TV Special. If anyone has an available copy for trade or sale, please contact me. Thanks!!

Thanks for the kinevideo.net information - I had heard of that before, but couldn't remember the website.

I'm ordering Beat Of The Brass - hope it turns out to be a good quality video...

If the video you ordered is anything like mine, you'll be very pleased. As a bonus, shortly after I posted my previous message, I was contacted by a gentleman who has all 3 TJB TV Specials on DVD (2nd generation taken from the masters) and gave me such an excellent deal, I couldn't pass it up.

Video prices are fairly high for a great copy when you can find them, not to mention the obscurity of finding excellent copies on DVD. I vaguely remember The Brass Are Comin' special (I watched it on TV as a kid) and am not sure I ever did see Herb's very first TV special, so these 3 DVD's should be a real treat and hopefully, keepers for life :)

I believe it took somewhere between 7-10 days for it to arrive. I'd like to hear your opinion of it after it's been viewed.

OK, Beat Of The Brass video arrived Friday, 9/12.

It is certainly a piece of nostalgia for me. I remember certain parts of this as a prime time TV special when it aired back in about April, 1968...I think. I was 17 years old at the time...

TV has certainly changed! The overall production, photography, sound - just about everything...It would really be interesting to see what this would be like if Herb and the group were somehow able to update to today's production standards and technology. What would the Beat Of The Brass be like if they somehow decided to do it again?

It is much fun to watch and to see the old group again. I have several things I'd like to share thought on, maybe not all in one posts due to time limits, but three parts I especially want to talk about are;
1. The live performance footage from the state fairs, and,
2 The Fairfax High School segment, and,
3. The parade footage taken at the Mardi Gras.

1. I think this state fair footage is some of the same photography that is used on the Herb Alpert's Ninth album. I am going to guess that this is 1967 vintage film. That is partly because the song This Guy's In Love...didn't get to number one until about July, 1968, and I think this TV special first aired back about April, 1968. Now, which state fair was it - Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio? I've been to the Ohio State Fair. I looked up the Illinois State Fair website where there is a diagram of the grandstand layout. My guess this photography on the video and the NINTH album is either the Indiana or Illinois State Fair, 1967...

2. Th Fairfax High School setting is the one I most remember from the TV special for some reason - that Fairfax High School marquee and Herb walking down the walk in front of the school... why I remember that so clearly, I just don't know...the other sequence I really remember vividly is the riverboat scene with the song "Bobo."

3. Compare the photo of the group in the album cover with the video - and the scene where Herb drinks the toast to the city and the mayor - looks different to me somehow. Also I think Herb and the group are dressed a little differently between the video and the album cover...

For any of you who are like me and tend to check out all these little details, what do you think? Any comments?

I believe that the state fair shots came from the Pennsylvania State Fair, ca. 1966. The shots were all from the same shoot, which first showed up on the back of the SRO album. They were credited to the ALLENTOWN CALL-CHRONICLE, which is a Pennsylvania newspaper...so, it would follow that it was in Pennsylvania that the pictures were taken. Harry could probably verify this, since he's a Keystone stater.

Those pictures, especially from the back cover of HERB ALPERT'S NINTH, were some of the best TJB photos ever taken, IMO...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom