• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Trumpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI

The Trumpet is so cool and so is Herb Alpert. I joined today and
thought I might ask Whats a Good horn, one thats affordable but good for
a High School trumpet player. I currently use a 1C Frank and Holton moulthpiece.

hi tymo how you doing? if you like the more brassier sound, there is a king tempo that is around $200.00 price range, that is the one I had since high school, there is another one make conn which is el cheapo. it has a real tinny sound to it. or you can go with a Bach student model.
bob

I can give better information about the choice of a trumpet after I get answers to the following questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by affordable? Give a price range - without that, all other discussion is pretty much useless.

2. What are your plans and goals? Are you interested in taking private lessons? Do you intend to play in the school band, and then no longer after high school? How much time are you prepared to practice on a regular basis? Do you consider yourself a casual/recreational player, or are you planning to challenge yourself and become as good as possible?

3. I have never heard of a 1C Frank and Holton mouthpiece, although I am familiar with who Frank Holton was, and I know what a 1C mouthpiece is(based on the Bach system). I assume you are saying that you are playing a mouthpiece that says Frank Holton and has the label 1C?

Hi
I'm looking for somthing no more than maybe $1,000 and I do plan on maybe a Military Band after High School. Currently though I play in Jazz Band and marching/pep band with trumpet. I use the tuba in concert band. I do take private trumpet lessons and practice daily. I want to challenge myself too. Your right about my moulthpiece, thats all it says on it. I do happen to live about an hour away from the Monette Trumpet factory in Portland OR, but I think their horns are a little out of my price range. TyMo

OK...

It may take a couple posts to get all this out, but first let me suggest you take a look at this website - good information to start with...

www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/

Especially the link called "What professional trumpet should I buy?" on the above webpage.

Also, I suggest you look up these two websites and bookmark/favorites them, as they are very good regarding lots of good information about everything you would ever want to know about trumpets...I recommend you register and post your question on both sites. You will get some excellent answers. Also, do a search and you will get tons of archived information...

www.trumpetherald.com
www.trumpetmaster.com

With all that said, it is probably going to cost a little more than $1000 to get a new professional horn, especially silver plated, but not a whole lot more. And, it is money well spent for the long run.

Generally a new professional horn is going to be more like $1250 - 1600 range. This is the "street" price - not the retail - no one pays retail...Almost all dealers will give a discount off retail of anywhere from 15 to 40%, depending on the dealer and the particular horn.

I recommend you check out the following products initially, as they are all excellent choices. They are different in their playing characteristics. This is somewhat like buying a car. There are many choices and options. Not everything is equal. You need to know your needs, and play testing different horns is strongly recommended. Also, the advice of a good trumpet teacher is worthwhile. Some professional trumpets are designed for specific playing needs in mind; for example, lead playing in a big band, etc. They are specialized designs. I'd avoid those, as a more middle of the road design is the most useful in a wide variety of playing situations.

Bach Stradivarius Model 180-37 - the "standard" in the trumpet business - it is the modern reference standard for what a trumpet is supposed to sound like. Especially for the classical/orchestral/symphonic/legit player.

Yamaha Xeno - especially the RGS8335 model - Yamaha's version of the Strad - excellent quality control. Many people really like the Xeno.

Kanstul Chicago - a copy of the Chicago Benge played by Herb Alpert. Kanstul makes many models for a variety of playing needs - most are more expensive. www.Kanstul.net

Conn Vintage One - an excellent trumpet designed by Fred Powell - many top players are using them these days. This trumpet brings the Conn name back as a serious choice for professionals.

King Legend - a "cousin" of the Vintage One, but a little less expensive. King and Conn are now owned by the holding company called Conn-Selmer.

B&S Challenger II - a good Strad copy, less expensive, some players say just as good - the "Elaboration" model is played by Mark Pender, trumpet player with the Max Weinberg Seven, Conan O'Brien Late Night Show

Getzen trumpets - I'm not up on the Getzen models right now, but I think there may be something in your price range. Rick Braun - an excellent professional player - is an endorsing artist for Getzen. Check out the Custom series - they may be within your range. www.Getzen.com

For exactly $1000, you can also find some extremely good condition used horns that would normally cost considerably more than $1000 new. I am mostly thinking about Schilke trumpets here. For somewhat less than $1000, you can find many of the above listed trumpets in excellent used condition - often nearly or like new...

A large retailer that is well known and has a website is Woodwind/Brasswind in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They have an excellent trial policy which you might find useful. The website is www.wwbw.com

I can recommend a couple other smaller, independent dealers which are excellent and reliable if you are interested. I have one in particular that I prefer.

The Monette is way out of your price range...

Thanks Captaindave,

You gave me a good start, now I think I can seriously look at some differnt horns with a little horn-know and decide whats good for me.

Thanks again, TyMo

My recommendation would be that you first consider seriously either the Bach Stradivarius 180-37 or the Yamaha Xeno(pronounced Zeno).
These are two universally recognized professional trumpets, and are used by many professional players all over the world in a wide variety of playing situations from classical to jazz, and everything else. Both have become a "standard" or benchmark in the trumpet playing community, and would be recognized as a quality instrument in any playing circumstance.

They are reasonably priced - as professional instruments go - and widely available. The price you would pay depends largely on where you would purchase the instrument.

If you have a teacher, I would also examine the choice of mouthpiece. A 1C is a very large, symphonic mouthpiece. When I was in high school, I played on a Bach 1 1/4C, which is similar to the 1C. The choice of mouthpiece is very challenging for the average player. A private teacher is almost a necessity when it comes to making the best mouthpiece selection for a student...

Do make it a point to read the dallasmusic website I recommended - examine the links - it is very good for anyone interested in trumpets and related equipment...

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom