• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Trying To.... Written for K&R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timely post - just listened to this track again this past weekend. It had been awhile since I played it, and it immediately knocked me out again with its power and it being a perfect match for the Carpenters. It's a "dirty ole shame" they didn't release it at the time of recording as a single (or at least an album cut) ahead of Manilow's version. Even though the C's popularity had peaked or was ebbing at that time, I truly think it could have done quite well on the charts and with airplay. A real gem to me!

I never knew it was written for them. I really wish they'd included it on Horizon, and now knowing this I'm surprised they didn't.

Any new information is much appreciated! I'm also a big fan of Manilow's! The Carpenters and Manilow versions almost sound like different songs altogether (lyric changes, case in point). --- I like both!

And for me, as a huge Melissa Manchester fan (my #2 favorite vocalist, after Karen), it's nice to see the tangential tie-in, although admittedly the writer of the linked review had mixed reactions to Melissa in the Philippines concert...

One other tie-in, as some may know: Manilow virtually discovered Manchester, introduced her to Bette Midler, for whom Manchester sang backup. In Manilow's 1975 hit, "Could It Be Magic," the lyric describes "Sweet Melissa," a nod to Manchester! In the 2007 album The Greatest Songs of the Seventies, Manilow and Manchester teamed up for "You've Got a Friend." And Manilow recorded "(They Long to Be) Close to You" for that same album. So we have now come full circle! And my work here is done... :)

Melissa Manchester's voice has a chill factor going on too. She can sing very soulful, as could Karen.

The first time I ever heard Melissa's voice was when watching The Trials Of Rosie O'Neill with Sharon Gless. Melissa sang the beautiful theme tune to the series, I Wish I Knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom