• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Two new A&M promo CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Andre, one of the DJs at work, who knowing of my fondness for A&M Records, brought in two promo compilation CDs for me yesterday. I'd not seen or heard of either of these, but that's often the case with this type of issue.

The older of the two is ironically called A Year Ago, We Hadn't Heard Of Them Either, CD 17413. It's from 1986 and packaged in a digipack. The outer cover features a version of the block logos used on the LPs of the era, with the pictures of the album covers inside the large blocks, skewed diagonally up from right to left. Inside, the smaller blocks are straightened up and alternate with the A&M Records logo. It had to have been one of the earlier North American CDs -- it says "Made In U.S.A. by LaserVideo, Inc." on the disc itself. The The track listing is as follows:

DOUBLE
The Captain Of Her Heart
Woman Of The World

THE LOVER SPEAKS
No More "I Love You's"
Every Lover's Sign

DAVID & DAVID
Welcome To The Boomtown
Swallowed By The Cracks

BRICKLIN
Even When You're Done With Me
All You Own

ROSIE VELA
Magic Smile
Interlude

-----------------------------------------------------------

The second of the two is from the '90s - 1995 to be exact, with the unlikely title of Faster, A&M, Kill! Kill!. The spine adds the subtitle of Various Artists Rock Sampler. Catalog number is AMSAD 0063, and it's a two-CD set packaged in a standard jewelcase with a flip-over inside disc tray. Oddly, this set comprises tunes from all the way back to the '70s. Track list:

Disc One
Ape Hangers - Red Hot Rocket
Free - All Right Now
Monster Magnet - Look To Your Orb For The Warning
Nazareth - Miss Misery
Therapy - Music
Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor (Live)
Soundgarden - Kickstand
Grin - Beggar's Day
face to face - Debt
Piper - Drop By And Stay
Love Battery - Harold's Pink Room
Supertramp - Bloody Well Right
Senser - Age Of Panic

Disc Two
Paw - Death To Traitors
Styx - Renegade
Slider - I Wanna Go
The Tubes - White Punks On Dope
Dishwalla - Haze
Head East - There's Never Been Any Reason
Fig Dish - Seeds
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Jackie Blue
Extreme - Unconditionally (Edit)
Spooky Tooth - Better By You, Better Than Me
Atomic Boy - Debutante
Y&T - Mean Streak
Lustre - Fifteen

Logos on the bottom of the discs include the A&M logo of course, along with Victory Records, Ulitimate, Atlas and Chronicles. Curiously, with this coming from the PolyGram era, there's not a single mention of that anywhere in the package.

Harry
...with a couple of interesting additions to the collection, online...

Harry said:
A Year Ago, We Hadn't Heard Of Them Either

ROSIE VELA
Magic Smile
Interlude

...and a year later, nobody heard from Rosie again either. :confused: "Magic Smile" is one of my favorites from her CD. This was the one that was a near-Steely Dan reunion (Becker/Fagen w/ producer Katz).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom